Help with plant identification

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Hi

Anyone any idea what this might be?

WP_20160522_21_32_43_Pro_zpsxtjrmign.jpg

WP_20160522_21_33_11_Pro_zpsavzbf7yo.jpg

WP_20160522_21_32_51_Pro_zps2fhjc6di.jpg

This is in two of my fields which spent most of the winter underwater. They're always quite wet in winter, but not usually completely flooded. It finally dried up at the beginning of last month, and was sprayed with Grazon nearly two weeks ago as the docks were getting out of hand. I walked around it this afternoon as I'm going to be moving the ponies in soon. Its absolutely covered in this stuff whatever it is, I don't recognise it at all. The Grazon doesn't seem to have had any effect on whatever it is. I've tried googling but got no where, so do any of you knowledgeable people recognise it?

Last edited:

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Looks kinda like crested wood fern, although I think they have rounder tips to the leaves usually? They grow in wetland areas.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Thanks everyone, definitely silverweed. I knew I could rely on this forum :)

We have some Thistlex left from last year which says it will kill it, so will have to add that to the field maintenance list. In the meantime though, from googling looks like it should be okay for the ponies to go in providing there is plenty of grass?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Don't go killing things that aren't harmful. I used to spray our fields but then noticed we had loads of wild flowers cropping up. Some are actually protected and so it is illegal to spray them. Now I go in every day and spot spray anything harmful such as emerging ragwort. I leave the rest alone.