Help with rugs please!

Winters100

Visit site
Hi,
I am not a new owner, but my last horse was in the care of a professional and since I have 'traded down' to one that doesn't need training I find myself a bit at sea with some aspects of care.

What do you all do about blankets? I would so appreciate some advice! Based upon what I read I need to be going to the stable a few times a day to change them as the temperature changes! When I was a child we had ponies, but all I remember having was a New Zealand rug for outside, a jute stable rug and maybe a blanket under if it was super cold! Now it seems I need to be changing in 100g denominations between 100 and 500, and then moving to polar lined, unlined.........

Of course I am totally taken in by all of this and now have every weight of rug. But this is not helping me, because the stable will not change them every time the temperature changes. So today for example was +8 celcius when I left the stable, but will be -2 tonight and in the morning (we are in Poland). So which blanket? I left her in her 300g because this is what we have used most, but it is so difficult to know what is best.

She is outside all day (7am to about 4pm) and then in box. Ridden 6 days per week, coat is smooth, not very furry. Also maybe I should add that she is not a 'good do-er' - needs a lot of hard food to keep weight on and is picky with hay (all vet checks done, teeth x-rayed etc so we don't think it is medical issue)

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
sorry cant give definite advice, just listen to your horse, check to see if she is too warm or too cold. if she doesnt have much of a coat and is not a good do er i would err on the side of her being well rugged rather than under rugged. with a horse who is carrying too much weight you would not need to use a 300g rug as you would hope they would lose a little during the winter. regarding feeding, maybe the hay is not good quality,why not try some different hay or haylage to tempt her,,,,,good luck

Winters100

Visit site
sorry cant give definite advice, just listen to your horse, check to see if she is too warm or too cold. if she doesnt have much of a coat and is not a good do er i would err on the side of her being well rugged rather than under rugged. with a horse who is carrying too much weight you would not need to use a 300g rug as you would hope they would lose a little during the winter. regarding feeding, maybe the hay is not good quality,why not try some different hay or haylage to tempt her,,,,,good luck

Thanks so much! Yes I will do this. With the hay she seems just fussy - even when we have 2 bales from the same supplier which smell the same to me sometimes she will eat only one! Mixing in a little alfalfa helps and I am getting her to eat it mostly. Thank you very much for the advice - very much appreciated.

Squeak

Visit site
Maybe something like this would help with working out what rugs she needs?

https://www.naylors.com/horsewarer-...5ldIJC_FZ84MSud8JcHzaggEvqusYHSxoCjwgQAvD_BwE

or the Orscanna one is good as well. Apart from that it just comes with knowing your horse. I tend to change rugs in the morning and then again in the evening as that's when there's the biggest changes in temperature and also when they can change from indoor to outdoor rugs etc.

Winters100

Visit site
Maybe something like this would help with working out what rugs she needs?

https://www.naylors.com/horsewarer-...5ldIJC_FZ84MSud8JcHzaggEvqusYHSxoCjwgQAvD_BwE

or the Orscanna one is good as well. Apart from that it just comes with knowing your horse. I tend to change rugs in the morning and then again in the evening as that's when there's the biggest changes in temperature and also when they can change from indoor to outdoor rugs etc.

Thank you so much - this looks amazing - just what I need. Am researching now......