Help with stiff joints...

Amaretto

Visit site
My border collie, Dylan, is 13 at the end of September and has recently started to present with stiffness in his back legs. For example, it takes him a little while to get moving after periods of rest, and needs help getting up the stairs or jumping into the car.

Would like to know what joint supplements you would recommend please. Already been recommended synoquin joint tablets and one veterinary nurse had suggested NAF Canine Relief.

Equally, is there anything else I could do to help my old man - he has a heated bed and regular walks to keep him moving. Any other tips?

Many thanks.

moppett

Visit site
I am having the same problem with my elderly lab. Shes had glucosamine supplement for the past couple of years but I am totally dubious about any positive effect its had. She's on pain relief and so not in pain, just stiff and wobbley.
So I'm afraid I've got no suggestions but would love to hear if anyone else could recommend something

TarrSteps

Visit site
I have just started a dog on Cortaflex and am pleased with the results, in so far as it defintiely improves her stiffness, although she is not magically sound. I have experimented with liquid vs powder and the former definitely works better, for whatever reason. That said, a friend had no luck with Cortaflex, and has now gone with Devil's Claw and cider vinegar. I suspect, like horses, different things work better for different animals.

Physio and swimming also help some dogs a great deal. Even if you don't go with a professional there are some good books on "dog massage" and similar. I know it sounds a bit mad but it helps people! And it doesn't cost anything but time.

I'm also a fan of the Equafleece jumpers as they are light and not restrictive. My gimpy dog gets too hot in them but friends have used them very successfully for arthritic dogs and my non-gimpy but almost hairless pointy dog practically lives in his in the winter.