Help with Western Riding?!

Cob-lover134

Visit site
Hi all! New member here. I’m the owner of a very much happy hacker cob. I’m very interested in starting western riding! By this I mean hacking in western tack definitely not competing ? has anyone else done this? Where do I start? Thank you I’m advance.

J&S

Visit site
I don't know where you are based but there is a lady in South West area called Judith Hubbard. she runs training sessions (when allowed) and on line competitions which will set you up with the basics.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
If you're only looking to hack and not compete, I also recommend some lessons and hopefully that western trainer can get you linked up with a western saddle fitter. About the only thing I know about western saddles is that I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to fit western saddles. Would be worth it to get someone help fit you and your cob for the appropriate tack.

Reactions: TPO

Jellymoon

Visit site
I don’t ride western but a friend does, apparently There’s a very helpful lady called Maria at The Western Saddler who could help you with the tack. There’s also Sovereign Quarter Horses in March, Cambs, who sell western tack. They do lessons as well.
I think if you only want to hack and already have a safe hacking horse, you could just get a western saddle fitted properly and off you go!

Cob-lover134

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies! I’m based in Shropshire. He is a very gentle soul and I have wondered is it as easy as get western tack and go!? I can’t seem to find anyone remotely local who teaches etc.

TTK

Visit site
Hi Cob Lover, you want a few lessons from Bruce Lawrence at Valley View Ranch & Equestrian Centre. He’s in Ullingswick which is about 4 miles off the A49 on the way to Hereford. He has his own well trained schoolmasters if you want to get a feel for what Western is all about. His contact details are on FB or you can pm me - I have been taking lessons with him for years, he is a very kind instructor. Welcome to the western world.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi all! New member here. I’m the owner of a very much happy hacker cob. I’m very interested in starting western riding! By this I mean hacking in western tack definitely not competing ? has anyone else done this? Where do I start? Thank you I’m advance.
Yes I did with my late mare, loved hacking on dry days, as my saddle was a bobs and did not like it getting wet.

i would say find a instructor, to get you started, and they will help with tack, make sure you don't get a Mexican western saddle as they are inferior quality.

TPO

Visit site
Highly recommend Jennifer Sheerin/ Western Tack Trader for saddle advice.

I had an awful time of it with another "western saddler" so wouldnt recommend at all.

Jennifer is extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

The UK market is flooded with badly made Mexican and Indian saddles. They cause untold pain and damage to a horse. Somw brands that used to be American made, e.g. King saddles, are now made overseas and fall into the cheap and dangerous category.

A good western saddle isn't cheap and needs fitted. The one size fits all thing is a myth. Western saddles also need to be used with a good western saddle pad, not the £30 jobs you see advertised online and by some equestrian retailers.

Absolutely nothing stopping you swapping to western tack to ride out in but to "ride western" is different from english riding. It might be best to invest in some western riding lessons.first to see if you like the style and to find out if you get along with the saddles!

Most western saddles are quite heavy, just to be aware as some people can struggle lifting them onto the horse depending on horse height etc.

If you day what area you are in then there might be some suggestions of trainers and places for lessons. Otherwise check out the Western Equestrian Society (WES) for local trainers

Cob-lover134

Visit site
Highly recommend Jennifer Sheerin/ Western Tack Trader for saddle advice.

I had an awful time of it with another "western saddler" so wouldnt recommend at all.

Jennifer is extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

The UK market is flooded with badly made Mexican and Indian saddles. They cause untold pain and damage to a horse. Somw brands that used to be American made, e.g. King saddles, are now made overseas and fall into the cheap and dangerous category.

A good western saddle isn't cheap and needs fitted. The one size fits all thing is a myth. Western saddles also need to be used with a good western saddle pad, not the £30 jobs you see advertised online and by some equestrian retailers.

Absolutely nothing stopping you swapping to western tack to ride out in but to "ride western" is different from english riding. It might be best to invest in some western riding lessons.first to see if you like the style and to find out if you get along with the saddles!

Most western saddles are quite heavy, just to be aware as some people can struggle lifting them onto the horse depending on horse height etc.

If you day what area you are in then there might be some suggestions of trainers and places for lessons. Otherwise check out the Western Equestrian Society (WES) for local trainers
Thank you for all the info! I’m aware of the dangers of poor saddles and whilst it may only be for hacking I certainly don’t want to sacrifice horse comfort. I’m based in Shropshire.

phizz4

Visit site
I don't now if she is still operating but I can recommend Sheri Dermody, who is based at Broomhall Green, near Nantwich.

TPO

Visit site
Thank you for all the info! I’m aware of the dangers of poor saddles and whilst it may only be for hacking I certainly don’t want to sacrifice horse comfort. I’m based in Shropshire.

Good stuff, so many people, through no fault of their own, are led to believe the one size fits all myth. A lot of the fb western sites remove the adverts for the cheap western sets but they still sell really quickly elsewhere. I get how expensive a good western saddle can be and that is off putting so a "complete set" for £2-300 is appealing.

If you are in facebook there is Lisa J Muir who sells saddles too. MQH saddle shop on fb. Shes based in france and has a good range of saddles, she can advise on fit using a trace and photos.

There is also a guy in Wales that you can take your horse too. He has a collection of saddles that are in a lower price bracket. I've no idea if he fits or just sells but I've seen posts on FB where people have taken their horses to him and tried a selection of saddles. His page is Martin Glynn Murray

Geography is not my strong point and I've had to google Shropshire! Ha ha instead I'll just list who I can think of and if you google you'll see their location.

Lee Rutter at Oakridge, Notts
Alan Payne
David Deptford at Sovereign QHs, cambs
Shane Boreland
Jason Webb
Joe Midgely
Guy Robertson
Emma Chapman
Louise McKnight
Sam Magueleno (sp?)

There will be more but that's off the top of my head.

There is also a UK western magazine, it's two magazines in one, Western Riding UK and Horsemanship Journal. It has lots of training articles and a map of trainers etc.