Help - XC boots

helenandshadow

Visit site
Ok, i'm only doing up to 3'3'' hunter trials and ODE's (hoping to do an Intro next year) and currently just use brushing boots for XC, and i was wondering whether i ought to get some XC boots.

I have looked at some different brands and like the look of (although not the prices!!
crazy.gif
) Eskadron, Prolite and N.E.W. and also Woof which are a bit cheaper!
wink.gif

Do you think i need 'proper' XC boots? and do you have any experience of the above or can you recommend any others?
confused.gif

Thanks

Hattikins

Visit site
well i have both fiddler and hatts in eskadron cross country boots and i cant rate them highly enough, easy to keep clean , do the job admirably - are tough and durable yet very smart - i love them to pieces.

having said that prolite and N.E.W. boots are fantastic too so its up to you
grin.gif

Mel85

Visit site
I love Style XC boots - mine have been through the wash hundreds of times and they are still good as new!

They don't slip xc and are smart.

I would definitely use a boot with tendon protection - it's worth it!

Grey_Arab

Visit site
The girl I groom for uses woof double close brushing boots and they do the job fine and she does PN soon to be N level eventing, hope that helps I don't know much about the different types, just what I have seen used!!!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have NEW on front and Premier Equine on Hind. Premier Equine are very good value at £20.
I have heard bad things about the Woof ones slipping.

Grey_Arab

Visit site
Well, we've never found any problems with them(they are the double velcro ones so that may make a difference???), they are taped on as well, and he has done 10 events in them in varying weather conditions???

Mel85

Visit site
There is no tendon protection with brushing boots - if a horse strikes into itself there will be no protection and could do a lot of damage.

Hattikins

Visit site
well we use front eskadron xc boots and back brushing boots on hatts and that works just fine at the moment, fiddler has short 15hh legs and they fit brilliantly - hope that helps Helen
smile.gif

KatB

Visit site
Yes if your only going to use minimal, use XC boots in frot and brushing behind. I swear by my Prolite boots. Theyre tough, and stay in place even in heavy going, and the tendon guard is TOUGH! The anount of Pros that endorse them speaks volumes IMO. I like Style boots, but find they are a bit heavy, and the tendon guards arent always in the right place. They also rub if don't fit perfectly (experience from grooming on a yard that used them on everything) If you want fluffy linings, go for the N.E.W as they are light, and don't rub like the style ones.

Hope that helps!!
smile.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
I personally don't have a problem with just brushing boots, but love my new boots! Sister also has those blue lined ones? REally hard fibreglas I think?

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
tendon boots at that height if nothing else, eskadron are pricey but they do last, had my SJ ones for years!! and good on a No.4 wash!!

Brushing boots on back should suffice.

IMHO I always like tendon boots on when jumping purely for protection of tendons rather than "support" necessarily.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think any horse could hurt itself on XC so believe all horses (especially the babies as they're more unbalanced) should have very good protection.

I use N.E.W lightweight XC boots which are brilliant. They never move, dont rub and seem very solid yet flexible. They also wash well and still look like new. The only thing I found is the full set fit my TB boy perfectly but the hind ones, because they have that funny longer bits on the inside - they are too long for my Welsh Cob. So it depends on your horses type, if he's chunky - go for a size smaller in the hinds.

Nic

Visit site
I love my Prolites, don't soak up water and never slip or rub & offer fantastic protection. Can't rate them enough.

BBs

Visit site
I used the NEW - very good, and last for ever! just stick them in the washing machine and if i you buy the little velcro brush you can brush up the fluff and it comes up like new
smile.gif

I wouldnt personally just use brushing boots behind, do to once my horse put his back foot back down in the ditch which smashed the protective panel in the NEW hind boots - this could have been his cannon bone
crazy.gif
they basically saved his leg!!

I also like the Dalmar (sp) boots!

samp

Visit site
Stlye XC boots are great, used to use when I worked at event yard. Unsure if you can still purchase them?

RobinHood

Visit site
I can;t fault my prolites they are absolutely fantastic, but dalmars are brilliant for bolder horses because they are 100% unbreakable.

eventingdiva

Visit site
I use the eskadron front and hind xc boots on mine and i think they're really good, offer loads of protection and clean up really well x

SpruceRI

Visit site
Am I the only person that finds the N.E.W boots (with the fluffy lining) just don't stay up? I've got a full set for one of mine and just the hinds for the other. The front boots seem to stay up mostly, but the hinds on both horses just will not, and slip right down to their hoof. I've tried fitting them tight, tighter and looser. I've even sewn elastic onto the straps of one pair - but still no difference. Taping them doesn't help either. Am thinking of shaving off the fluff to within an inch of it's life! Or giving up and chucking them. Wish I'd gone for the Premier Equine ones at a third of the price!!

lillie07

Visit site
I have the NEW Airflow Sport XC Boots in front and NEW Lightweight Competition Boot behind and really rate them!! I had Prolite previous and really like them too. Heard WW boots slip as do the fleece lined NEW boots.

KatB

Visit site
How do you find the new airflow ones? We got some, werent impressed by only having two straps on the front, and they just seemed flimsy....??