help

siennamiller

Visit site
I thought I had my horses diet all sorted, but after he tied up last weekend I am not so sure.
I asked the advice of the head lad at a local racing yard, he said that the reason he tied up is because he is getting no carbs and high protein. Harley is trialling the epsm diet as the vert is convinced he has it. The head lad said to up his carbs and decrease the protein but this is against all the epsm advice - I don't know what to doooooo (whine whine)
please help someone

also posted in new lounge

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
What's his work routine? We have one who is very prone to tying up. Did he tie up after having a some time off i.e. a day off work then the next time he was ridden he tied up?

Marilyn

Visit site
I am pretty sure that horses that tie up should have little protein and lots of fibre. I have one that ties up and she is on hay and hi fi lite. If she drops condition, she has alfa and if she was working hard, i'd put her on alfa a oil. Dunc has a good point, horses can tie up after a day off (hence the name Monday morning disease) but if kept on high fibre diet and turned out the vast majority (if not all) of the time...this should help

UKa

community.webshots.com
how long have you been on EPSM diet before he tied up? Relapses are very common at first so I wouldnt give up the high fibre/ oil diet in favour of more protein! What is your current management routine for this horse? under what circumstances did he tie up? Mine for example has had her episodes when she got her muscles chilled (say through sweating out on a winter hack and then being exposed to chilly winds - I always ride her with a exercise sheet in wet, windy and cold conditions now, also she needs to have at least 10mins walk at each end of a training session. She also gets turned out or exercised every day. any more information on what happened to yours may help to give more advice. Good luck!

siennamiller

Visit site
he is worked every day, if he has a day off then I go easy on him for the first few days. He actually tied up in the field
confused.gif
confused.gif

siennamiller

Visit site
well, checked with vet who said it is fine for him to have protein, the feed with the protein in is specifically for horses that tie up
confused.gif

he is turned out every day as well

siennamiller

Visit site
he has been on epsm diet for 6/7 weeks
have spoken to beth valntine via email who has adv this is pobably not an attack of azoturia but more likely as you say a setback with the epsm, he tied up in the field so it is very wierd.
I always warm up and cool down with at least 10 mins walking, he is ridden as I say pretty much every day, adn I am very careful with him, he is very precious

siennamiller

Visit site
no, cos it happened sat lunchtimish and she said the bloods would not go until mon am so prob no point.
Am pretty sure now that it is an epsm setback rather than tying up, but I am a bit new to both things so just worried about causing damage/pain to my boy
frown.gif