Help...

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
smile.gif
I'm a teenager, I've been riding for years and years, and have a lot of experience with stable management, too. I also have a parent who has owned horses. When looking at adverts, should I be searching for...

-A novice ride?
or
-An intermediate ride?

Please help!
laugh.gif

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
Are you confident? Can you deal with situations such as spooking? Possibly putting in a buck? A fresh horse? A Sharp horse? If you can deal with those then an inter horse. If not you want a novice ride.
=)

Enfys

Visit site
Are you looking to buy or loan?

Actually personally, I'd look at the Novice first, ask questions, lots of questions, then go along, try out and see how you get along with it. A lot of horses advertised as Novice rides are safe and sensible but will go up a gear when asked to anyway.

Mid

I do sometimes get asked to ride the more difficult ponies at the stables, usually buckers. I'm pretty confident, and I want a horse I can trust, but quite responsive as well.
smile.gif

And I'm buying!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Lou2006

www.flyingchange.co.uk
To be honest I can't say I've ever seen a horse described as an intermediate ride. It depends on your budget and what you want to do.
Maybe look for one described as a good first horse, then it will probably be quiet to handle etc.
Good luck.

Lou.x

dozzie

Visit site
You could look for one that says suit novice or experienced rider as this would mean it goes up a gear if you want it to but should be safe to start off with. Also, just a suggestion, Ive found its better to find a horse locally if possible as you can try it properly and if the seller is genuine you can try it more than once in different situations, but dont waste their time!! Make sure you try it in a school and out hacking!! Avoid horses where seller states "not novice ride".

pixie

Visit site
But didn't you say that you were looking for a horse for 5 members of the family to share. Therefore the most novicey rider in the family should be able tto ride/handle it. Then the second horse that you're planning on buying should perhaps be a bit less novicey, if you know what I mean.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Just a little nip at the post above about not buying one which says "not novice ride". I list ALL my horses as this because Ive had some very beginner riders!! So saying this is usually just to put off the real newbies, there may well be nothing dodgy about the horse in question!!

You could maybe try aiming for a forward going horse, that way it'll be more fun than the usual plod.

If I were you Id put out the odd wanted advert (Ive found lots of horses this way) stating exactly what you want.

Mid

"But didn't you say that you were looking for a horse for 5 members of the family to share. Therefore the most novicey rider in the family should be able tto ride/handle it. "

We're looking for two :3 One real plodder, the second smaller, about 15.2, and much more forward going, mainly for me and my sister. I want to get into dressage
laugh.gif

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
Yeah we list a lot of ours as not novice rides, not because they are naughty but because i dont want idiots coming out to try horses they would dream to own but cant really afford!
God i hate timewasters!