Helping youngsters go downhill!

katastrophykat

Visit site
My rising three year old has always had an aversion to going downhill. Not steady slopes, but steeper banks, steps down, humps at field boundaries etc all cause issues when out for walkies (in hand!) tonight we met a hump where he was quite happy to step up (always happy to clamber up!!) but not down. We have a loading bay where there is a foot deep step down and I tackled this as a yearling, loads of persuasion and rewards... But anything relatively steep Downwards sloping he objects to- happy to gallop about in a hilly field but that's more of a steep-but-gentle incline, if that makes sense??

He did used to load perfectly and refuse to go back down the ramp (6 hours we waited one day before he decided to get off) but that is nicely sorted now and he bounces off the same way as he bounces on!!

So now it's a question of dealing with the humps and bumps we will meet on a hack- and I'd rather like to event him at some point... As well as doing HDT and the courses my club use tend to be rather hilly (Yorkshire!)

Any ideas? I'm going to longrein him out as he does go well on longreins- but I'll have someone at the front as well if and when needed (he's generally incredibly brave and forward thinking when going out for walkies until he tires-about 30 mins- then he meanders back home steadily)

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I've got a two and a half year old who I lead out in hand. She also seems to have problems going downhill. Nothing that's really concerned me, but she really has to think about it. I got her from somewhere with no hills whatsoever and she originally came off the New Forest where it's relatively flat compared to where she is now in the Lake District.
She also does the same as yours - tires after about 20 minutes. I just put it down to her being a baby.

Biscuit

Visit site
If you can go out in company that may be best - then he'll probably be more focused on following the other horse(s) than with the terrain.

If he seems to have a real objection to going downhill, it could possibly be discomfort... unlikely but worth keeping in mind. Going downhill is makes him lengthen his stride and if steep enough, "sit" a little if you see what I mean.

Going uphill on the other hand can be hard work if it is steep enough.

Edited to say I think 20 minutes is enough for his age, any longer than that he won't be focused? It seems really normal if he tires after half an hour or so, he is only a baby.

katastrophykat

Visit site
Thank you- not worried about the tiring, I know that's normal, he was out with my D tonight (D would happily slide down the derby bank if asked :D) and still had a few minutes of 'no' before 'yes'... Quite happy after that. I'll have a word with the physio. Thank you!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes unfortunatly in a homebred to cut a long and awful story short it was kissing spines don't want to worry you and it's probally not but if the vets about get him a check might save a lot a heartache it took me ages to work it out.

Jackson

Visit site
Ha! Mine has an aversion to walking down the sloping pavements that you find on peoples driveways, walking off fields that are raised above the track and any other sort of drop like that in general. I just wait him out, he soon gets bored :p

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Send him to me for a week! ;) :p My field is pretty steep at the top.

My gelding came from a flat area and he had trouble sorting out his legs at first, but now he is quite graceful coming down the hill.

Isabeau

Visit site
Hopefully he is just physically immature and needs time to get his proprioception honed.

But I have to be honest and admit the 2 horses I have had with this issue were #1 quite nonathletic and untalented #2 had questionable soundness issues behind(which only became apparent over time.)

I like to think that if they had grown up in the mountains then maybe it would not have been as issue. But in those 2 cases the horses did not improve. The one who was merely untalented had a place in the world so long as her inability to organize her own body was respected(great beginners lesson horse.)

Second was never destined to improve. Also had trouble trotting cavaletti and such. He just wasn't too sure where his back feet were.

I might try to turn your horse out on some kind of very hilly pasture if that were at all possible. So he is prompted to strengthen and organize himself all the time. And he can do it at his own speed.

Good luck.

katastrophykat

Visit site
Thanks for your advice however he isn't immature (I spent all last year in mixed youngstock classes patiently saying 'yes, TWO year old!! And his yearling season saying 'No, it isn't a Two/Three year old!') and is perfectly sound.

I'm really rather hoping he's not totally untalented...!! ;)

He's three in may, this is him out last year just turned two.

IMG_3038.jpg

(We have addressed the excess weight since then... Little sod has an inability to stay behind electric fence!)

I do however have an idea about a hilly field... Thanks!

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it!
Just keep practising and when he is being ridden give him a seasons hunting -he will soon learn to go down hill - probably faster than you would want!

Nice looking horse.

lizijj

Visit site
My youngster WAS rubbish going downhill etc. I posted on H&H and got lots of advice, mainly keep doing the hills and keep going forward - it is all down to he wasn't balanced and immature. He still is immature but his balance is getting better and now strides out downhill. Good luck :)

Ladydragon

Visit site
He doesn't even think- just says no... As soon as the ground isn't where he thinks it should be :)

Thanks for the reply :)

That did make me chuckle... :)

We've got a young (rising 5 this year) TB who's just a bit slow to mature I think - and has had no real schooling other than a blitz on a race training yard... His balance isn't the greatest and he'll sometimes still stand like a baby with legs akimbo... Although he is starting to park a leg straight under each corner most times now...

He's fine in turnout (side of a mountain) but riding downhill on hacks was 'interesting'... :D He'd step forward as if on the flat, discover no floor, drop the shoulder as he sorta stepped down to the floor resulting in his back end lurching up and down behind - particularly as he kept his back legs fairly tight and tucked together as if he was anticipating skiing down hill... Not good if you have tendencies to sea sickness...:eek:

He went out today after a few months off any real work and there was a big difference... Not perfect - but much closer to a proper, relaxed step instead of a mincing his way along... Saddle's good, back checked out ok, the lass who rides him has lovely balance - it's just him taking time to mature and get balanced under saddle I think...

Nice looking fella you have there btw... :)