Hematoma

CJ1

Visit site
My horse took a nasty bump on the belly last week and the swelling and bruising is showing up now. Its gradually moved from by his sheath to more towards his left bellyside. We hose it down twice a day and i have some arnica to massage in. He is out now for 12 hours a day as the stiffness has worn off. Its better when he is out rather than being in as it seems to swell up more.

whats the best way to help hematomas and what is the prognosis, ie a mass of hard skin? any one else had this before on the belly?
confused.gif

EllieBeast

Visit site
A haematoma is just a build up of blood under the skin - like a deep set bruise. it should reabsorb as the body heals itself - as bruises do. he should return to normal with no lasting effects. i would cold hose - just like you are. im sure it isnt uncommon on the belly, as there are many blood vessels close to the surface there. i hope your horse recovers quickly!
Sarah xXx

_jetset_

Visit site
Hi, my horse had quite a bad one a few weeks ago. I had the vet out because it was so hot and getting bigger.

The vet told me that what I was doing was right... I was hosing it for ten minutes twice a day, exercising her and applying Tensolvet. BUT, she said why not use Ibruleve instead on it, because it does exactly the same thing as Tensolvet... Highly recommend it. Her haematoma has now completely gone in less than a week since using it!

Bertie1

Visit site
My horse has one at the moment too. He was kicked on the fleshy part of his shoulder almost two weeks ago, and now has one 'man boob' on his chest!

He is sound now, and the heamotoma is reducing, albeit very slowly. The vet said to carry on as normal with working him, it won't hurt as long as he's sound and well, and it might help disperse it. He also suggested massaging it, but didn't mention cold-hosing or rubbing anything on it.

He said they can last up to a month, and can travel around all over the place.

Very weird!

_jetset_

Visit site
The Ibruleve is just an anti inflamm which helps reduce the swelling... You can put it on windgalls too! (If you read the back of Tensolvet it says it's good for haematomas...) Han's reduced dramatically in the first two days I used Ibruleve, was very impresed with it and at my vet's honesty regarding prices!

They can last up to a month, my vet also said that
frown.gif
but luckily since using the Tensolvet and Ibruleve there has been a real reduction (I sound like an advert for them, LOL!) If you get the Tesco own make of it, it's about £2.50...

CJ1

Visit site
oh ive been using the IV horse arnica and tea-tree. I'll put that in the 1st aid kit for another time and try ibruleve.
Is it a bit like Deep Heat?

_jetset_

Visit site
I think it is yes... all I know is it worked a miracle on Han and hers was the size of an orange up until this week when I started to use it... I massage the area first and then apply the stuff after. Apparently you shouldn't massage the ibruleve/tescos own into them, just gently rub and leave.

miniemy

Visit site
Thank you ever so much for your suggestions, my little horsey has also got a very large one on his chest, vet came up and scanned it today as he was also hopping lame. He has also torn his muscle. I am a bit worried about using non horsey products but may give it a go. I also have a horse with really sensative skin so could this irritate?