Herd Introductions with yearling.

AppyLover1996

Visit site
I am currently in the process of buying a foal to be my next project.

He has not long been weaned from Mum and won't be leaving the stud for another 2/3 months at least (he has to have his "crown jewels" removed and also learn a few more things before his breeder will let him come to me).

He will be between the age of 9 months and potentially about to turn 1 by the time I get him.

My question is this :

Where I am planning on keeping him, there is a group mixed herd turnout of horses of various heights and ages (maximum of 8 at any one time as it is a small private owned place).

Providing that introductions are done in a safe and sensible way, am I asking for trouble if I slowly introduce him into the herd and integrate him into the herd environment?

There won't be any more than 8 horses max, and the owner has very kindly said that we can always do a smaller group(s) if I feel more comfortable with that.

I have had a look for young stock livery, but sadly it isn't an option.

Everything will be done with the upmost care and attention, I will be there for all introductions and if at any point I feel my youngster's safety compromised, I won't hesitate to go down a different route.

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
I separated mine in the next field to my horse to introduce them slowly.
My horse who is normally quiet was acting like he was trying to kill my 11 month old to the point I thought him being gelded must not have been done correctly!
Anyway turned up for the 4th check on them that day to find him not in his field! He had jumped a 4ft post and rail fence to get in with my gelding and rather than trying to kill him they were at the far end of the field mutually grooming like long lost brothers! 🤣🤣🤣. To say my heart was in my mouth was and understatement! I have cctv on the fields so I could watch back his antics and his escape! 🙈