Visit site
This is just one idea for a B licence towing set up

Skoda Octavia 4x4 1.6 diesel
GVW 1998 kg
Towing capacity 2000 kg

Bateson Derby trailer
Empty 675 kg
MAM 1700 but down plated to 1500*

* Contact Bateson on 0161 4260 500 and send them the 1700 plate off the trailer with £10
On receipt they will make up the new 1500 plate and send it to you to fix onto the trailer

The trailer can be loaded with 825 kg

The vehicle makes for a reasonably economical commuting car

These links may help
http://carleasingmadesimple.com/bus...octavia-diesel-estate_3/60610/technical-data/
http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/trailer/1014
http://www.batesontrailers.com/contact-us/

_GG_

Visit site
This is exactly the kind of fact based, helpful post that I love this forum for. Thank you ROG. No horse yet, but great to know :)

Moomin1

Visit site
I am going to sound incredibly thick now, but I have an IW510 and a horse who is in the region of 650-675kg. She is towed alone. I am looking at possibly getting something to tow with next year (currently towed by a friend with a freelander, but we are limited to short flat drives as it struggles up steep hills). I don't mind having to do my B and E test, but is what would be the recommended vehicle/towing capacity/economically? Apologies for being completely thick. I have got bogged down in all the info I have tried to look at and get my head around.

ROG

Visit site
I am going to sound incredibly thick now, but I have an IW510 and a horse who is in the region of 650-675kg. She is towed alone. I am looking at possibly getting something to tow with next year (currently towed by a friend with a freelander, but we are limited to short flat drives as it struggles up steep hills). I don't mind having to do my B and E test, but is what would be the recommended vehicle/towing capacity/economically? Apologies for being completely thick. I have got bogged down in all the info I have tried to look at and get my head around.
Appropriate towing vehicles is not one of my fortes

My forte is to advise on the legalities of the weight and licence issues

I have never towed a horsebox

ROG

Visit site
This is exactly the kind of fact based, helpful post that I love this forum for. Thank you ROG. No horse yet, but great to know :)
I have been advising on the legality of various combinations for a while on this site and that particular vehicle and trailer seems to me to give the best of all worlds for B towing

Moomin1

Visit site
Appropriate towing vehicles is not one of my fortes

My forte is to advise on the legalities of the weight and licence issues

I have never towed a horsebox

Sorry, my wording wasn't great. I mean, what vehicle would be required to legally tow a trailer and horse of that weight range? I assume I would have to do my B and E test due to the weight of the horse and trailer together.

ROG

Visit site
Sorry, my wording wasn't great. I mean, what vehicle would be required to legally tow a trailer and horse of that weight range? I assume I would have to do my B and E test due to the weight of the horse and trailer together.

From memory the HB510 has an empty weight of 920 so with a horse of 680 that makes a total of 1600 which is virtually impossible to do on a B licence unless a vehicle could be found with a GVW of 1900 and a towing capacity of at least 1600 with the HB510 trailer down plated to 1600

You need a set up similar to that of the first post

Moomin1

Visit site
From memory the HB510 has an empty weight of 920 so with a horse of 680 that makes a total of 1600 which is virtually impossible to do on a B licence unless a vehicle could be found with a GVW of 1900 and a towing capacity of at least 1600 with the HB510 trailer down plated to 1600

You need a set up similar to that of the first post

Thanks, thought as much. I don't mind doing my B and E test, as think I would prefer to have some proper tuition before towing myself anyway, but just thought I would check that I'm of the right thought with regards the legalities.

ROG

Visit site
Can my 406 tow a Bateson trailer?

According to my search the 406 coupe has a towing capacity of 1300 kg

I think they have a GVW under 2000

The weight plate hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame of your 406 will give me the exact figures - I need the top 2 of the 4 figures

A Bateson DERBY trailer is 675 empty so with a max trailer load of 625 your 406 should tow it ok on hard surfaces and gentle rolling hills
How well it will perform outside that I have no idea

Get the top figure that is on the 406 weight plate then deduct that from 3500 - that will give the max the trailer weight plate can be for B licence towing

Example with made up figures
406 vehicle
GVW 2000
Towing capacity 1300

Bateson Derby trailer
plated MAM weight 1700 so would need down plating to 1500 max
Empty 675

Although the trailer is plated at 1500 the towing capacity is lower so 1300 is used as the max for when the trailer is loaded

ROG

Visit site
For those struggling to find a B towing set up for 1 x 500 kg horse who either have a vehicle with a high GVW of 2300 (or less) or a low towing capacity of 1200 then the answer would be a Cheval Liberte single horse trailer which has an empty weight of 625 kg and a MAM of 1400 which can be down plated by Cheval to 1200

That still leaves 575 for the load which can be put into the trailer

For anyone with specific questions the HHO TOWING CLINIC link is in my signature below

flaxen

Visit site
Cheval wont down plate any of their trailers unless you are buying a brand new one and request its down plated at time of order. This has come from chevals head office based in Yorkshire.

pennyturner

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that the old Rice Eventer trailers are only 610kg unladen, and have a MAM under 1500kg, so these could also be pulled by the Skoda on a B licence?

ROG

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that the old Rice Eventer trailers are only 610kg unladen, and have a MAM under 1500kg, so these could also be pulled by the Skoda on a B licence?
Do not know about 1500 - check plate on trailer - if no plate then the total of all the tyre load ratings will be the MAM

Would appreciate further questions being posted on the HHO TOWING CLINIC thread as I have an Email alert set up for that one

thank you

ROG

Visit site
I called George Flanagan on Phone:01565 873222 who owns Cheshire Trailers and deals in Rice trailers

The eventer has an original plated MAM of 1600 kg

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Great post! I'm probably being extremely dumb, but I currently have a 62 plate ix35 1.6 petrol. I believe the braked towing limit is 1,200kg, would this be enough to tow anything with on a B licence or do I need to look to sell car/take my trailer test?

Kezzabell2

Visit site
ROG, according to http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/index.htm I can tow my 590kg horse in a Ifor Williams 505 with a Ford Focus 2.0tdci with a b + e licence! do you agree?

I don't have the licence yet but will do some training and apply for the test if I know the car is capable

Ford (Focus 2.0 litre TDCi 4 door saloon)

Ford (Focus 2.0 litre TDCi 4 door saloon)Capable of towing: 1500.00 kg

ROG

Visit site
I am going to copy the last 2 posts above and answering them in the HHO TOWING CLINIC thread - link below in my signature

montehorses

New User
Visit site
So with a normal licence could i tow with a renault trafic 2011 van? With a single ifor williams trailer...i am finding it all very confusing working out what i need ?

ROG

Visit site
So with a normal licence could i tow with a renault trafic 2011 van? With a single ifor williams trailer...i am finding it all very confusing working out what i need ?

http://www.anchorvans.co.uk/specifications/renault/trafic/
The GVW of these is about 3000kg so the max tow on a B licence is only 750 kgs plated MAM = no good for any horse trailer

Easy to work out because on a B licence the vehicle GVW added to trailer plated MAM cannot total more than 3500 kg when towing a trailer over 750

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
ROG would you still say the Skoda Octavia 4x4 is your best option when towing the Bateson Derby?

Not sure how I feel about Skoda after all the VW emissions stuff.

leflynn

Visit site
Does that mean I could in theory tow with my Nissan Kubistar? GVW 1685 kg with a bateson derby downplated? Horse is around 460kg and only a B license?

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Does that mean I could in theory tow with my Nissan Kubistar? GVW 1685 kg with a bateson derby downplated? Horse is around 460kg and only a B license?
yup

trailer empty 675 + horse 460 = 1335 ... lets say 1400

What is the towing capacity of the nissan ? - if 1400 or more then ok

ALSO if GVW is only 1685 ... lets say 1700 then Derby trailer is 1700 so that is 3400 so under the 3500 limit = no down plating needed

leflynn

Visit site
yup

trailer empty 675 + horse 460 = 1335 ... lets say 1400

What is the towing capacity of the nissan ? - if 1400 or more then ok

ALSO if GVW is only 1685 ... lets say 1700 then Derby trailer is 1700 so that is 3400 so under the 3500 limit = no down plating needed

Ah thats the problem the towing capacity is only 815! Not sure I'd want to tow a large with it even if I could, thanks
http://www.anchorvans.co.uk/specifications/nissan/kubistar/