Here we go again :(

Montyforever

Visit site
Have got the vet coming out Monday to do bloods to check Mystis liver as she's showing signs of having problems there again. She's just been so not herself the last few weeks :(
She had an impaction colic and problems with her liver April last year, never was investigated but she had high liver enzymes at the time of the colic but they reduced at every blood test over the few months after, although never completely disappeared. Vets and i decided a liver biopsy was more likely to stress her out rather than help.

She slowly recovered and was back to her normal self and has been a lovely weight, happy and healthy since.

But the last month or so she's dropped weight, is spooking at everything (this pony is fearless!) pratting about on the lunge then wearing herself out after the first 5 minutes. Is overreacting to every little thing, drinking and weeing lots.

She's only 10 :( please can she have some vibes, im dreading the results either way! But at least this should either show a problem or rule it out.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Strongly reccomend milk thistle if there is a problem. A horse on my yard's liver was so damaged they deemed it un-fixable. But a year on he is back healthy and being ridden- You'd of never known there was anything wrong. Hope you get the result you want x

Montyforever

Visit site
Strongly reccomend milk thistle if there is a problem. A horse on my yard's liver was so damaged they deemed it un-fixable. But a year on he is back healthy and being ridden- You'd of never known there was anything wrong. Hope you get the result you want x

She's been on milk thistle since the day liver was mentioned :) its what bought her back around the first time! Fantastic stuff, but thankyou :) x

horsies4coursies

Visit site
With the drinking and urinating loads would also get them to sample for cushings as those can be associated with the disease and so can the weight loss, and the not being herself bit, tiring quickly etc - just if the vet is there doing bloods anyway one more blood tube isn't going to push up the price that much but it is worth thinking about, as it may be completely unrelated to the liver just might be co-incidence ??? the cushings test itself is free at the moment and here's the link for the voucher :
www.talkaboutlaminitis.co.uk/certificate-form

Montyforever

Visit site
With the drinking and urinating loads would also get them to sample for cushings as those can be associated with the disease and so can the weight loss, and the not being herself bit, tiring quickly etc - just if the vet is there doing bloods anyway one more blood tube isn't going to push up the price that much but it is worth thinking about, as it may be completely unrelated to the liver just might be co-incidence ??? the cushings test itself is free at the moment and here's the link for the voucher :
www.talkaboutlaminitis.co.uk/certificate-form

Thanks, will definitely see if i can get that done on Monday too :)
The symptoms have been fairly sudden, she's usually hyperactive and I've known alot of horses with cushings but its another thing it could be i guess! Its one of those things where there's so many things it could be, but my guts telling me liver at the mo or maybe a nasty virus. Her temperature was actually slightly low today (she's been rugged and feels warm to the touch) so its just odd. Yard owner said she's noticed the change in her too and that the other horses in the field have pushed her out a bit.

She's a tough one, there were only very vague signs of a liver problem before her colic last time. Nothing that made me worry too much and then she was hospitalised with an impaction (again looking "slightly colicky" when she was in serious trouble!) She doesn't show pain at all so im getting worried now :(

southerncomfort

Visit site
I am sorry, what a lot you've been through with a relatively young horse. Fingers crossed this is just a blip and she is back to her old self very soon. x

Ceriann

Visit site
Have you tried hepatosyl? I put mine on it when she have high liver enz levels - I also like others kept her on milk thistle and yea sacc (to help the hind gut). Hope you get the right news.

CBAnglo

Visit site
My horses have all had liver problems; we have had them in antibiotics for a month, vitamin b supps every week (syringe) liver support and milk thistle. All had the same symptoms as you except mine were really fat.

Don't know what caused it (biopsy inconclusive) but they ingested some toxin.

Have changed grazing and bloods being taken tomorrow. If still high then will be changing hay (have to use process of elimination). They will be tested every 6 weeks until back to normal but they will stay on milk thistle and liver support for a while.

There is a lot of this going about all of a sudden i just don't know why? Never had this before with any of my other horses (or these ones and I have had one of them for almost 10 yrs).

Montyforever

Visit site
Have you tried hepatosyl? I put mine on it when she have high liver enz levels - I also like others kept her on milk thistle and yea sacc (to help the hind gut). Hope you get the right news.

Haven't tried it but will look into it if results point towards liver :)

My horses have all had liver problems; we have had them in antibiotics for a month, vitamin b supps every week (syringe) liver support and milk thistle. All had the same symptoms as you except mine were really fat.

Don't know what caused it (biopsy inconclusive) but they ingested some toxin.

Have changed grazing and bloods being taken tomorrow. If still high then will be changing hay (have to use process of elimination). They will be tested every 6 weeks until back to normal but they will stay on milk thistle and liver support for a while.

There is a lot of this going about all of a sudden i just don't know why? Never had this before with any of my other horses (or these ones and I have had one of them for almost 10 yrs).

Hope you get good results this time :) its a real headache and makes you question every little thing!
Myst never really got the all clear last time just a indication she was heading in the right direction. I've moved to a new yard, changed hay supplier, changed her feed etc in that time. Nothing is the same as it was at the time she was ill before so i know how you feel. It just seems to be happening alot at the moment!

CBAnglo

Visit site
If your horse is able to have steroids I would suggest speaking to the vet about using that to treat; mine are all obese despite being fed nothing and living out 24/7 on a bare field (gets rotated so they get a little patch to graze each time). I have never had this before normally I have to feed the TB masses of hay.

They have been unable to work as well due to the extra strain in the liver we have just started now so shall see what bloods say. Good luck with yours. Damage to the liver is reversible though if caught in time.

fairyclare

Visit site
Montyforever, I am going through the same thing and we also have an appointment with the vet on Monday morning for a liver biopsy.

My mare is 21, has had a few issues with the liver over the last 6yrs, I think there has been 3 episodes in that time. This is by far the worst and quite different to the other times.
Yesterday she was spaced out, staring at the wall, then the hedge in her field - i went to see her and she walked away and spent the rest of the day happily grazing.
Last night she came in, had her dinner and started box walking, she walks continuously around her stable in a complete trace, you can't stop her for more than a few seconds, she walks through you like you aren't there. Very odd behaviour!
Vet says this is typical, its breaking my heart seeing her like this.
Today, she is fine, totally back to normal, at least she was when I left her this evening.

Good luck for Monday x

hihosilver

Visit site

^^^ THIS!
My 5 year old has high liver enzymes which vet says now is more common. As he was so young and I was dreading ragwort poisoning which is about 1 in 100 I had the liver biopsy ( glad I did). The liver showed mild hepatitis which was treated with steroids and hepatosyl. Enzymes came down to normal and treatment stopped but have since crept up again. He is well, fat, and very happy so he is now on milk thistle and hepatosyl it is really good but very very expensive. Prognosis is good.

windseywoo

Visit site
Firstly big hugs and good luck to all the posters who are having liver problems at the moment I hope they all get sorted.
However I had to have my horse put to sleep three years ago with liver failure, basically his liver enzyme reading was off the chart and I was told there was nothing to be done. He was suffering from neuropathic blindness (the spaced out look), colic like symptoms even though there was no blockage and he was suffering from a roaring sound which made people think I'd got a pig, because (if I remember right) his epiglottis was collapsing. It came on very quickly and the first indication of something being wrong was that a few weeks earlier he scratched his eye really badly, because he must have walked into the hawthorn hedge. I was asked by the vet's all the obvious questions about ragwort, which we always picked out of the field every year and did we check the hay for any signs. So my point is with the weather we've had the ragwort is becoming more rampant every year and I know that there are other causes of liver failure, but if we can all prevent this disease by removing a weed then it should be done and if not classed as neglect.
Sorry for posting what may seem a negative post, but I really wouldn't want any of your horses to go through what my lad did, so as above again good luck and hopefully good vibes.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
April (my son's pony) had acute hepatitis a couple of months ago. She was also dehyrated so was admitted to be put on a drip. No cause found, treated with antibiotics, liver tonic and now on milk thistle. She's doing well and we intend going to another small show on sun. She had an ultrasound scan done which fortunately showed no permanent liver damage.

I hope yours make a full recovery but I would also second the cushings test, even just to eliminate it from possible causes.

Montyforever

Visit site
If your horse is able to have steroids I would suggest speaking to the vet about using that to treat; mine are all obese despite being fed nothing and living out 24/7 on a bare field (gets rotated so they get a little patch to graze each time). I have never had this before normally I have to feed the TB masses of hay.

They have been unable to work as well due to the extra strain in the liver we have just started now so shall see what bloods say. Good luck with yours. Damage to the liver is reversible though if caught in time.

Think steroids would do more harm than good! She's a welsh a with a history of laminitis, she's been laminitis free for 3 years now though :)
I always try and keep her weight on the lighter side so her drop in weight has been very noticeable :( a skinny welshie in aug is never a good sign!

Montyforever, I am going through the same thing and we also have an appointment with the vet on Monday morning for a liver biopsy.

My mare is 21, has had a few issues with the liver over the last 6yrs, I think there has been 3 episodes in that time. This is by far the worst and quite different to the other times.
Yesterday she was spaced out, staring at the wall, then the hedge in her field - i went to see her and she walked away and spent the rest of the day happily grazing.
Last night she came in, had her dinner and started box walking, she walks continuously around her stable in a complete trace, you can't stop her for more than a few seconds, she walks through you like you aren't there. Very odd behaviour!
Vet says this is typical, its breaking my heart seeing her like this.
Today, she is fine, totally back to normal, at least she was when I left her this evening.

Good luck for Monday x

Good luck for your mare too xx
Mystis never really done the spaced out thing in her life, she tends to go the opposite way being completely on edge, flying to the back of her stable when you go in, overreacting to everything (pulled her rug off her yesterday same as i do everytime and you would think i was trying to kill her by her reaction!) she tried to throw herself over backwards after i put her roller on the other day and everytime a kid/dog/kitten so much as walks past her she's jumping about a foot in the air!

Firstly big hugs and good luck to all the posters who are having liver problems at the moment I hope they all get sorted.
However I had to have my horse put to sleep three years ago with liver failure, basically his liver enzyme reading was off the chart and I was told there was nothing to be done. He was suffering from neuropathic blindness (the spaced out look), colic like symptoms even though there was no blockage and he was suffering from a roaring sound which made people think I'd got a pig, because (if I remember right) his epiglottis was collapsing. It came on very quickly and the first indication of something being wrong was that a few weeks earlier he scratched his eye really badly, because he must have walked into the hawthorn hedge. I was asked by the vet's all the obvious questions about ragwort, which we always picked out of the field every year and did we check the hay for any signs. So my point is with the weather we've had the ragwort is becoming more rampant every year and I know that there are other causes of liver failure, but if we can all prevent this disease by removing a weed then it should be done and if not classed as neglect.
Sorry for posting what may seem a negative post, but I really wouldn't want any of your horses to go through what my lad did, so as above again good luck and hopefully good vibes.

So sorry, that's awful! :(
This is why im testing as early as possible, i may look like a right prat if the results come back fine but i don't want to risk it getting this far!

April (my son's pony) had acute hepatitis a couple of months ago. She was also dehyrated so was admitted to be put on a drip. No cause found, treated with antibiotics, liver tonic and now on milk thistle. She's doing well and we intend going to another small show on sun. She had an ultrasound scan done which fortunately showed no permanent liver damage.

I hope yours make a full recovery but I would also second the cushings test, even just to eliminate it from possible causes.

She had an ultrasound last year at the time of her colic, liver and kidneys were enlarged the night she was admitted but looked ok the next morning after her treatment. Unfortunately given that information her liver was excluded on her insurance policy and her whole digestive tract .. So i am limited to what i can test for! If she was still covered id be taking her in there Monday for a full check up. Very frustrating :(

hihosilver

Visit site
I was told by the vets that the most likely cause of hepatitis in my ISH was due to a virus attacking the liver. The vet also said that they are seeing more and more high liver enzymes. As long as liver is not damaged most horses like mine have a good prognosis but may always have a high liver enzyme.

Montyforever

Visit site
Well Mysts had her bloods taken should get the results in the next few days :) she was terrible with the vet though, she just knows they have a needle ... Testing for cushings too

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Only just seen this. So sorry Mysts is unwell again. Hope the bloods show it's something easily treated or atleast controlable.

Re Steroids. I wouldn't rule them out if it's a possible treatment. Lucy spent the last 8 months of her life on Steroids which started in quite high doses. I treated her as high risk of having Lami (She had had it afew times in the passed, her first attack caused her rotation in all 4 feet) She never once showed any signs of lami in those 8 months.
It's often not the steroids themselves that trigger lami it's peoples management while they are on steroids. ie fit competition horse on buisy yard suddenly on boxrest but still fed alot of feed. A combination of stress and feed is what probably actualy triggers the lami.

Lots of positive (((((vibes))))) heading your way. xx

fairyclare

Visit site
Well Mysts had her bloods taken should get the results in the next few days :) she was terrible with the vet though, she just knows they have a needle ... Testing for cushings too

Just an update from me too..... No sign of any liver damage, no biopsy down but full profile done on the bloods and everything is as it should be! We are also testing for cushings!

windand rain

Visit site
Conifers and privet are more likely culprits than ragwort as as a rule horses don't eat much ragwort but will attack a conifer hedge or privet hedge with gusto I lost a two year old to conifer poisoning several years ago couldn't keep her away from it thought we had solved the problem and she had recovered but a couple of weeks after she appeared fine and tested ok she went rapidly down hill and died/was pts in days. Hard to know what killed her in the end as waiting for a vet she went down he shot her when he got there

Montyforever

Visit site
Only just seen this. So sorry Mysts is unwell again. Hope the bloods show it's something easily treated or atleast controlable.

Re Steroids. I wouldn't rule them out if it's a possible treatment. Lucy spent the last 8 months of her life on Steroids which started in quite high doses. I treated her as high risk of having Lami (She had had it afew times in the passed, her first attack caused her rotation in all 4 feet) She never once showed any signs of lami in those 8 months.
It's often not the steroids themselves that trigger lami it's peoples management while they are on steroids. ie fit competition horse on buisy yard suddenly on boxrest but still fed alot of feed. A combination of stress and feed is what probably actualy triggers the lami.

Lots of positive (((((vibes))))) heading your way. xx

Thanks Laura :) if she has to have steroids she will but she's just so sensitive it worries me!

Just an update from me too..... No sign of any liver damage, no biopsy down but full profile done on the bloods and everything is as it should be! We are also testing for cushings!

Fab news :) im not sure what im hoping for in the results if im honest. The liver scares me, such an important organ to have problems with, but if its Cushings (shot in the dark, but while its free to test and she's showing signs well worth it!) its only manageable rather than treatable and I've known lots of ponies with it and seen them at the end :( if nothing comes up, going to give her some immune system boosting stuff and see if that helps. She's having some time off either way, even though she's not ridden she's in "work" (lunging, longreining, hacks inhand etc) and always looks muscled/well so its a shame to see her looking so poor again :(

Conifers and privet are more likely culprits than ragwort as as a rule horses don't eat much ragwort but will attack a conifer hedge or privet hedge with gusto I lost a two year old to conifer poisoning several years ago couldn't keep her away from it thought we had solved the problem and she had recovered but a couple of weeks after she appeared fine and tested ok she went rapidly down hill and died/was pts in days. Hard to know what killed her in the end as waiting for a vet she went down he shot her when he got there

That's interesting, we do have really big hedges in the top fields (not the ones they are currently in) not sure what they are but will look into it :) she's usually muzzled in that field so doubtful she would be eating the hedges but will have a check! We've had tons of ragwort this year, but have been pulling it up as soon as it appears so don't know what else we could do really!

Im so glad the blood tests are over though, she was so naughty! Very good vet though. I've seen horses bad with needles but Mysti beats them all hands down :eek:

windand rain

Visit site
Really pleased you managed to get the bloods.
I am constantly amazed that people plant fast growing conifers around fields and arenas as windbreaks without realising how lethal they are, particularly Leylandii which is very common in and around horses. It was Leylandii that killed my filly She got into it while I was on holiday when someone else was looking after her not their fault It was a pure accident but she liked the taste of the trees so much nothing would keep her away we even had a three strand barbed wire fence erected as everything else failed but unfortunately even that didn't stop her for years after you could see where she had trimmed the trees. Our only recourse was to stable her and put her in the barn both options I hated but everything failed int he end and the toxins destroyed her liver.
I do hope you get to a successful outcome for your pony it is heartbreaking if they don't make a good recovery and they get even sicker. So thinking of you I do hope the results are good and it is a simple fix