Here's my response from BBC regarding WEG Coverage

Heidi1

Visit site
Thank you for your e-mail.

I understand that you are unhappy with the BBC's coverage of the World Equestrian Games.

However, we will be showing coverage of the WEG over the next two weekends. This amounts to around 2 and a half hours coverage in 'Grandstand' as well as about 12 hours of live interactive coverage of the the three day event and show jumping.

While the dedicated equestrian fan might want more coverage, we have to juggle many sports and indeed non sports programmes. The viewing figures for equestrian sports show that there is a loyal but comparatively small audience, which justifies the level of coverage we currently give, but doesn't really justify a massive expansion.

Nevertheless, I do appreciate that you would like to see more coverage of the equestrian games. Please be assured your comments have been fully registered on our daily audience log. The daily log is an internal document which is made available to our sports team and senior BBC management.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact the BBC.

So if you have interactive good for you, if not then you have to stick with the two and half hour coverage, great.

Not a happy person
frown.gif

Heidi1

Visit site
That is so unprofessional of them.............I really can't believe they are not showing WEG on normal TV, well more than the two and half hours, no disrespect to football fans, but we had football on every night when it was the world cup............

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Wa*kers, here's my reply:

Dear Miss Forrest

I understand you feel equestrian coverage on the BBC is poor.

We try to give wide television coverage of many sports - more than any other
broadcaster in Britain - but it is impossible to satisfy the individual fans of
every sport the whole year round. This is simply not possible when the BBC's
general television channels have also to find space for Drama, Arts, Comedy,
News and much more.

It is true that major Sports such as football, rugby, tennis, snooker and golf
form a key part of the Sport's Division's strategy to provide output of interest
and value to broad audiences. However we do recognise our role in both
supporting minority and providing content for niche audiences. As a result the
BBC has covered 41 separate sports to differing degrees in the past two years.
Minority sports are also an essential part of both our Olympics and Commonwealth
Games programming.

We are always delighted to receive feedback, both positive and negative, from
our viewers. Your comments will be carefully registered on a daily log, which is
made available to our programme makers and senior management. Feedback of this
nature helps us when making decisions about future BBC programmes and services
and your comment will play a part in this process.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact the BBC.

Regards

Gary Sullivan
BBC Information

voltaire

Visit site
Here is my response and my reply to their response.

I would urge anyone that is not satisfied with the response to clearly state that this complaint is not resolved!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm sorry but I don't think that is good enough.

On your interactive service today I saw that it was possible for me to watch live rowing. I do not believe for one second that there are more people in this country involved / interested in rowing then there are in equestrianism. Furthermore this event occurs only every 4 years.

As for snooker and golf being a "major" sport I would argue (and suspect win) that equestrianism has more of a following than either of those two "sports" in this country.

Seeing as equestrianism is one of the few things that this country is good at, and seeing as our future Olympic gold medal tally will rely on real sports such as equestrianism (I'm not convinced that the IOC recognise or accept that "snooker" and "golf" should be part of the Olympics. Now I could be wrong and perhaps Ronnie will be winning a Gold at Beijing). For the BBC to show this continued lack of support for main-stream sport is sickening.

I would like to know how the decision was made today to show live rowing on Interactive, but not make any Equestrian Games available. The decisions made by the BBC appear to be made on a very subjective basis and do not reflect actual public interest. Perhaps the BBC should either be more open with regards to how these decisions are made (and no "motherhood" statements please) or just have this rather privileged funding position revoked. You are not behaving in the public interest, but a rather self-serving one.

This complaint is not resolved, and I am not satisfied with your answer.

Regards,

XXXXXXX (my name....I didn't send kisses!!)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 24 August 2006 13:49
To: XXXXXXXXXX
Subject: BBC Information [T2006082100PHS010Z1623681]

Dear XXXXXXXXXX

I appreciate that you are unhappy that coverage of the World Equestrian Games was not featured on BBC channels.

It is true that major Sports such as football, rugby, tennis, snooker and golf form a key part of the Sport's Division's strategy to provide output of interest and value to broad audiences. However we do recognise our role in both supporting minority and providing content for niche audiences. As a result the BBC has covered 41 separate sports to differing degrees in the past two years. Minority sports are also an essential part of both our Olympics and Commonwealth Games programming. The BBC has helped raise the profile of minority sports and brought them into the mainstream.

Nevertheless, I do acknowledge your concerns and can assure you that your comments on this matter will be fully registered and made available to BBC Sport and indeed senior management within the BBC. Feedback of this nature helps us when making decisions about future BBC programmes and services and your views will most certainly play a part in this process.

For your reference, the latest Equestrian news and features can be found at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/equestrian/default.stm

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

Jonathan Carberry
BBC Information

MagicMelon

Visit site
AGHH bloody BBC. Equestrian sport probably still has a small audience BECAUSE they rarely show any!!!

I luckily have interactive, however why the hell is it spread over 2 weeks? There's not much point in watching it AFTER we hear the results.

Noticed eurosport where showing dressage this morning at 8.30am. EVERYBODY IS AT WORK AT THIS TIME!!! So I missed it.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Im fed up with their advertising of equestrian stuff too! Look at the HHO TV coverage page, it says there should be the Estoril Grand Prix on eurosport right now - uhhhhh...... where?! Its bloody live football!

Its SO difficult trying to FIND equestrian even when it is on TV!

lizstuguinness

Visit site
and yet i pay good money to have big brother on my screen. this is UTTER TRIPE of the highest degree.

why the hell would i want to sit on my sofa and watch some deranged person act like a chicken in a stupid costume, or be asleep in bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

needless to say when out tv was out of action for 2 weeks it didnt bother us, as frankly i have better things to do than watch programmes "of interest and value" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big brother - value ??, interest ?? your having a laugh either that or someone is talking B********LKS

we put up with absolut crap... i wonder what it takes to launch a new free view channel???

i have some connections but any one recon it could be run and funded by volunteers/charity work?

SJFAN

Visit site
Your licence fee goes entirely to the BBC and while it is certainly responsible for some rubbish you can't blame it for Big Brother. I've never watched it but know it is a Channel 4 show - Channel 4 is funded by advertisers and companies which sponsor programmes.

Jiffy

photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thankful that the BBC is spreading WEG coverage over two weekends as the SJ does not finish until 3rd September.

[/ QUOTE ]

...Is that so they don't have to show any SJ from Blenheim event on Sept 3rd too?

smirk.gif

SJFAN

Visit site
I'm mystified as to why you can't get BBCi - it's an integral part of what Freeview offers - see www.freeview.co.uk/channels. Certainly works for me when I press the red button on the remote.
And if you look at www.bbc.co.uk/sport you will see that they are also due to show the cross-country on their website (for UK users only) as well as on BBCi.
Regarding your failure to get BBCi have you tried e-mailing the above or BBC?
The following is from Freeview website's FAQs: Question:
Why can't I receive some of my channels?

Answer:
There are a number of reasons why you may not be receiving some of your channels. We recommend first trying to rescan your digital box by following the steps below:

a) Press MENU on your remote control
b) From the Menu options, select the 'Tuning Menu'
c) Select ‘Auto Setup’ or ‘Update’ to rescan your digital TV*

*also referred to as 'Update', 'Retune', 'Replace' or 'Store Channels'

If you are still unable to view all your channels and you are in a FREEVIEW coverage area, it may be due to one of the following reasons:

1. You may require an aerial upgrade, as your existing rooftop aerial may be damaged or incorrectly positioned to receive FREEVIEW. We would recommend you contact your local CAI (Confederation of Aerial Industries) installer to arrange an aerial survey. Visit www.cai.org.uk for more information

2. Your digital box may have a fault. To check this please click here to contact your manufacturer

3. There may be a fault with your local television transmitter - please contact FREEVIEW on 08708 80 99 80 for further information

Olliedog

Visit site
Hey, at least you lot may get some coverage!!
Out here, as far as im aware, there's NOTHING!
if its not cricket, golf or footy then they couldn't give a rats..
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

icestationzebra

Visit site
Thanks SJFAN - I have printed that off for OH. He is tasked with getting me BBCi this weekend above all else! Even if it means going up the ladder and fiddling with the aerial on the roof!