Hermaphrodite

hobo

Visit site
Catching up on some reading and in the free local paper there was a dressage report. They mentioned a KWPN gelding and than in the next sentence called him a hermaphrodite. I have seen many pigs that were hermaphrodites but never heard of a horse. And would you then call it a gelding or is it just a journalist that does not understand what a gelding is.

Anyone off you seen or had one?

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
We had a visiting 'mare' about five years ago. Lovely 3yo that was being a pest and hormonal at home so they thought they would put her in foal and let her grow up for a year. When she came off the lorry she grew another hand and had huge presence.
When the vet came to scan, they discovered a huge testicular mass where her ovaries should be, vet got very excited as very rarely seen. The only solution for this filly to have a normal and happy life was to have the mass/ovaries removed, and as it was such a rare condition they offered to do the op at cost for research purposes.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I had one in a pure-bred Charollais sheep - back in the old days when I bred them. She was a corker - and at THAT time was potentially worth £1,000. I didn't realise there was a problem until she was several weeks old - and weeing down the inside of one leg. She had a rudimentary penis protrucing from her vulva, and on further investigation, I found two lumps that were obviously testicles - although nowhere for them to descend. She made a prime fat lamb at 8 weeks old.:(

Fools Motto

Visit site
I know one - a shire. Due to bloods and the fact he did have testicles 'somewhere within', he was a ''boy''.. but he also has teats and a kind of vulva 'bit' - actually it is a penis but backwards (really hard to explain).. he does indeed pee from between the hind legs.. Poor chap, but he is very much loved and now 'gelded' he is a normal laid back chap. (before he was a very confused, odd hormonal mare/stallion!. :confused:

hobo

Visit site
Very interesting so if it was like your shire FM it could indeed be a gelding and a hermaphrodite. I wonder what your lady man Irish one is called as she has also been gelded!
In pigs they usually had a penis coming out of their vulva and peed in a squirty circle often down your welly.

lizness

Visit site
I have seen one. No penis but weed from between bottom of bum cheeks. A very small set of what were thought to be deformed testicles removed vfrom stomach

frannieuk

Visit site
That article is about a horse on my yard :) He has proper boy bits but has internal female organs. He was recently gelded, but also weirdly, his willy points the wrong way - bit odd when you brush his hocks and see it pointing at you!

hobo

Visit site
Hi Frannieuk wasn't sure if it was just the BMV not knowing what they were writing. I am fascinated about oddities.
So glad he is doing so well at dressage did he go to the dressage masters?