Herpes virus - help/advice please

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
I wonder if any of you can help shed some light on this please:)

An in foal mare here has been bought back from the stud she went to fo foaling as they have a type of herpes virus which cause the mare to abort:confused: three of the mares there have already aborted - one was for the track and the owners sent the foal to Newmarket for a PM. The mare was turned out in a field with the affected mares.

I would like to know what the likelihood is of her passing it to the rest of the yard and if so what to expect if anything in otherwise fit and healthy horses and if we should be on some sort of lock down?:confused:

Once again I am appalled at a studs lack of infection control/containment on their yard but its too late now as potentially this virus is on our yard and in our herd due to the stud vet not giving any information on isolation etc:rolleyes: The last time a mare went to a stud ( a different one) she came back with strangles:mad::mad:

Any help/advice gratefully received :)

skewbald86

Visit site
I think a fair chance, don't want to worry you as there are probably different strains of it. The yard I used to be at got an outbreak, spread really quick, my lad got it and was quite ill but got over it quite quickly compared to some, one mare died of it.
It affected the mares worse, back legs going etc. my boy had a temperature and was just really quiet and subdued.
Hope it isn't the case on your yard.

Lgd

Visit site
Was the mare not vaccinated for EHV?

If not it's worth doing next time - jabs at 5, 7 & 9 months of pregnancy.

Only one of mine not done is my current in-foal mare and that is only because she had a flu-like reaction to it some years ago and vet said not to give it again. I've covered her as best I can through herd immunity as all the other horses are EHV vaccinated. They are done to cover for the respiratory form as they compete - not clear how much protection it gives against the neuro form.