Heythrop Hunt

Hunters

Visit site
The hunt masters want to bring in a new master Charles Frampton. He has agreed to the mastership provided he hunts hounds. This puts current huntsman Julian Barnfield out of a job or demoted at best.

Kate Hoey MP has written to the hunt chairman expressing her displeasure at these suggestions not least because the huntsman has:

a) Done nothing wrong - although some are suddenly discrediting the huntsman
b) The huntsman is facing court for hunting illegally & for his hunt to sack him at a time like this beggars belief - not a good defence when your hunt gets rid of you.
c) The new master apparently will be less cautious to 'antis' - this could lead to a Labour government tightening hunting laws...

The hunt is divided and there is to be vote on Sunday at an EGM. Many landowners feel justifiably very loyal to Barnfield and do not want a so called 'arrogant master' coming in and taking over.

Equally, they do not want to be seen as the hunt that could change hunting for the worst - all for five minutes fun, some have gone to the press.

See Valerie Elliott's report in the Mail on Sunday two weeks ago.

Finally, it was put to the potential new incoming master that he hunt the bitch pack & the current huntsman hunt the dogs. This compromise was not acceptable to the new master, so if the landowners don't win - well it could be a right old mess.

Hunters

Visit site
I think that the whole thing is a mess and has been handled badly. The Heythrop are supposed to be a premier hunt... I will be there casting my vote (paid for or not!!)

Hunters

Visit site
Well that's it then for Julian Barnfield - Can't be nice knowing you're on your way out.

Whether he's got offers or not - not nice to be chucked out of your hunt when you are facing criminal charges & as for the chairman of the MFHA to be punching the air with joy at the decision beggars belief.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Whether he's got offers or not - not nice to be chucked out of your hunt when you are facing criminal charges & as for the chairman of the MFHA to be punching the air with joy at the decision beggars belief.

Agree 100%! I personally think it's a disgrace the way some hunts treat their professional huntsmen - but sadly, money talks!

dunkley

Visit site
Agree 100%! I personally think it's a disgrace the way some hunts treat their professional huntsmen - but sadly, money talks!

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I personally know of another professional huntsman who has just been 'made redundant' after service of almost 30 years. :(

Hunters

Visit site
So, Do you or do you not think that this sort of practice is out of the dark ages? Or is it that because they are hunt servants/ sorry hunt staff - they are throw away people?

I for one, am apalled by the behaviour of some of the people at the highest level and their treatment of loyal staff in a 'sport' that I love. When I became involved in hunting I niavely believed that some of the most noble 'men' led from the top.

Of recent years, I have found it to be woefully lacking in many areas and badly led by those that should know better. The meeting on Sunday held by the Heythrop was ridled with deceit. The Heythrop chairman claims that Julian Barnfield is to be made redundant. To my book this means that a 'job' is no longer. Apparently not so... The hew huntsman will be an 'amateur' huntsman. Clever weasel wording. The new huntsman will be paid £25k in expenses followed by £15k from a kind donor.

Off you go Julian - off to court - thanks for your service - but we're finished with you now -As I said led by people/regulatory bodies who should know better. It brings hunting, a sport I love with a passion into disrepute!

Herne

Visit site
The Heythrop chairman claims that Julian Barnfield is to be made redundant. To my book this means that a 'job' is no longer. Apparently not so... The hew huntsman will be an 'amateur' huntsman. Clever weasel wording.

To be fair - and I am in no way commenting on the rights and wrongs of this individual case, in which I am not in any way involved - that's not really weasel words, it's the way hunting generally works.

A "professional pack" will have a master or masters (who may or may not be paid) and employ two (or more) "professional" members of Hunt Staff - the Huntsman and Whipper(s)-in.

An "amateur pack" will combine the post of Master and Huntsman (who probably will be paid) and only have one (or more) "professional" members of hunt staff - the whipper(s)-in. The terminology is slightly confused by the fact that the (senior) whipper-in will be referred to as "the Kennel Huntsman (KH)", but the fact is that with an amateur Master/Huntsman, the professional Huntsman position is redundant.

(Which is, of course a bad thing for Hunting in general, because without professional Huntmen's positions to aspire to, fewer and fewer people want to become professional whippers-in.)

Last edited:

Hunters

Visit site
Dear Hearn

I am well aware of how the system works.

What I find staggering and so do most others is that a professional huntsman facing court proceedings for illegally hunting is dismissed by his hunt before a court case, in what was effectively a public hanging.

This is taking place in David Cameron's constituency which attracts media attention.

Our huntsmen are quite often in difficult positions at the best of times & to sack a huntsman as he is going into court is quite staggering.

The Heythrop are seen as leaders of hunting and to behave in this way sending this signaal to other hunts is dismal. I'm glad I'm not in hunt service.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I see this as another case of hunting shooting themselves in the foot. This sort of in fighting is playing into the antis hands.

If this is going to alienate the landowners the Heythrops country is going to be drastically reduced.

Stark Dismay

Visit site
not nice to be chucked out of your hunt when you are facing criminal charges & as for the chairman of the MFHA to be punching the air with joy at the decision beggars belief.

c) The new master apparently will be less cautious to 'antis' - this could lead to a Labour government tightening hunting laws...

The hunt is divided and there is to be vote on Sunday at an EGM. Many landowners feel justifiably very loyal to Barnfield and do not want a so called 'arrogant master' coming in and taking over.

Equally, they do not want to be seen as the hunt that could change hunting for the worst - all for five minutes fun, some have gone to the press.

I've been reading this with interest - let me get this straight? The MFHA chairman, who was in the post when the ban came in, is now unashamedly expressing delight at a situation that could bring hunting further into disrespect?

Would this be the same MFHA who presided over the 're-branding' EGM of the huntwhoshallnotbenamed? Rather than bring about a united front there a blow was dealt that left that hunt bleeding at one edge, all apparently at the suggestion of the MFHA. It would seem if your hunt needs to call an EGM, the last people you would want there for any reason are senior officials from the MFHA. Which begs me to ask, is the association fit for purpose?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Mostly by the Heythrop...

That's about right!! I remember a couple of 'incidents' involving that hunt and they were THE most impossible lot to deal with - lived on another planet!:rolleyes:

Would this be the same MFHA who presided over the 're-branding' EGM of the huntwhoshallnotbenamed? Rather than bring about a united front there a blow was dealt that left that hunt bleeding at one edge, all apparently at the suggestion of the MFHA. It would seem if your hunt needs to call an EGM, the last people you would want there for any reason are senior officials from the MFHA. Which begs me to ask, is the association fit for purpose?

It never has been IMHO!

EAST KENT

Visit site
Dear Hearn

I am well aware of how the system works.

What I find staggering and so do most others is that a professional huntsman facing court proceedings for illegally hunting is dismissed by his hunt before a court case, in what was effectively a public hanging.

This is taking place in David Cameron's constituency which attracts media attention.

Our huntsmen are quite often in difficult positions at the best of times & to sack a huntsman as he is going into court is quite staggering.

The Heythrop are seen as leaders of hunting and to behave in this way sending this signaal to other hunts is dismal. I'm glad I'm not in hunt service.
Well it is so nice to see loyalty still holds true in hunting circles,is`nt it? This particular huntsman has done a great deal for the cause,but as soon as money appears available the Heythrop cannot wait to shaft him .Lovely people.

Hunters

Visit site
Well it is so nice to see loyalty still holds true in hunting circles,is`nt it? This particular huntsman has done a great deal for the cause,but as soon as money appears available the Heythrop cannot wait to shaft him .Lovely people.

Yes, this huntman and many many others have been true to their 'masters' Even Kate Hoey could not save the fate of the Heythrop Huntsman... 'Orf with his head' !!