HGV licence for certain length horseboxes

spooks

Visit site
i got told by a friend this morning that there is a new law that is imminent that for certain length lorrys you will need an HGV licence to drive it. has anybody else heard this and if so what is the length the lorry can be to drive on a normal car licence.
thanks

Tempi

Visit site
here we go again, the bl00dy government (or whoever) slapping new laws down on lorry drivers...........it better not make it so that our lorry is too long i tell you............

Rambo

Visit site
Not heard anything about this one i'm afraid
tongue.gif

spooks

Visit site
tell me about it! i only asked as i was telling my friend this morning that i was getting a new lorry and out she came with that little gem! cant see people forking out however much it is to do there HGV just to drive a lorry they have been driving for years on there car licence! besides if you can drive a 7.5 tonner on a car licence then surely it isnt an HGV?!

spooks

Visit site
id have thought if this was the case ,then we would have heard about it by now. oh well will have a wrecky on the net and see if i can find any info.

albert

Visit site
i thought that had always been the case anyway, im sure there is a limit on the length.

If something new is coming in then im sure it will affect new drivers and we will get "Grandfarther rights" again so if you can drive a 7.5 tonne now i would think you will be ok

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
You dont need an HGV licence to drive 3.5 - 7.5 if you are an oldie like me who passed your car test ages ago - as far as the 56mph - Im ok, my lorry wont go much faster! (nor would I drive fast with my babies in the back).

That said driving a lorry can be tricky. If you can afford to doing some formal training would be a good idea.

spooks

Visit site
panic over! my friend just called me back, she got it all wrong its the weight she was going on about,apparently the law down here are clamping down and dragging lorries off to weighbridges left right and centre! can you tell she has a trailer ?
crazy.gif