HGV licences

krushby

Visit site
In the process of looking for a new horsebox. Will be 7.5 tonnes as need to carry 2 large horses. Based on all the scare stories recently about lorries weighing in over weight, I'm thinking about taking my HGV test. I had my drivers licence before 1st Jan 1997 so can drive a lorry up to 7.5 tonnes.

Has anyone else upgraded to an HGV licence? How much does it cost? What does it involve? How difficult is it?

All advice gratefully received!!!

Thanks
Kate

KarenX

Visit site
OH did it about 3 years ago. He did one week intensive course and then took his test. It cost approx £1000 I think altogether. He said he found it quite difficult..

Hope this helps.

Karen
smile.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Sorry if i've misinterpreted your post, but you do realise that an HGV licence in itself won't allow you to drive an overweight 7.5t
crazy.gif

samp

Visit site
You are probably looking at around £1200, as I looked cause passed test just after Jan 1997 - gutting. At the mo my OH or dad has to drive me to shows

krushby

Visit site
Is that because it will still be carrying too much weight for the chassis even though I could legally drive it? I thought it might be one less thing to worry about - would also mean could choose 10 tonne lorry instead of 7.5 tonne so more to pick from as must be smaller demand for HGVs???

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is that because it will still be carrying too much weight for the chassis even though I could legally drive it? I thought it might be one less thing to worry about - would also mean could choose 10 tonne lorry instead of 7.5 tonne so more to pick from as must be smaller demand for HGVs???

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly ! A 7.5t lorry is not legally allowed to weigh more than 7.5t fully loaded. If you're gonna do your HGV anyway, you'd be better off buying a larger vehicle tbh...they're a bit cheaper than the more 'desirable' 7.5t's anyway.....or at least they are for now until everyone with 7.5t's realises their lorries can't actually carry anything so are effectively worthless
wink.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
everyone with 7.5t's realises their lorries can't actually carry anything so are effectively worthless

[/ QUOTE ]

- except mine :smug grin: We built ours and weighed it as we went - front and rear axles separately etc., and I have still some spare payload with everyone and everything on board.

Granted we have no Luton, but the living is well adequate. You just have to be careful. I am wondering why everyone has taken so long to 'wise up'. We built ours over six years ago on an MAN Chassis, which are heavier to start with........

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
or at least they are for now until everyone with 7.5t's realises their lorries can't actually carry anything so are effectively worthless

[/ QUOTE ]

What was really scary was the amount of very nice looking "non HGV" lorries for sale in this week H and H right after the article on overweight lorries that advertised as full living for 4 people and transport for 3 horses!!!

Rambo

Visit site
We have about 1750kgs of spare capacity in ours. So enough for 2 big horses and tack, jockey / groom and some 'stuff'. We still need to be careful though, and there's no way we could legally carry 3 with all the associated paraphernalia.

MissRebbekkie

Visit site
thats quite a sweeping statement to make, bearing in mind that the majority of reptuable coachbuilders are very vigilant over the weight of their vehicles, and many use the latest light weight products, I bought mine recently from a good established coachbuilder and there IS scope for 3 ponies and luxury living due to the lightness and quality of the build and mine is on a MAN chassis!

foraday

Visit site
The cost of a HGV is arond 900 including vat for a 5 day course and the theory test and hazard perception test-have just sent one of my employees through it.

The HGV is easy/hard depending upon your driving ability!

The examiner is looking for your road craft-looking at the roads, the cambers, the traffic situation, your postition on the road and as a hgv if you are or have hampered the other traffic.

Check the instructors that you choose quite carefully. Some may have a higher fail rate than others-that can mean that their 5 days course is not up to much.

What you must do though is take it before 2008 when the test will become EXTREMELY hard to do!

krushby

Visit site
Those were my thoughts - having an HGV licence means I could get a better bargain on an 8 or 10 tonne rather than looking for a 7.5 tonne which everyone else will want too!!!

It was those adverts that were making me think about it - 3 horses + luxury living and non-HGV. Surely it's not possible?????????????????