HHO virtual clinic week 7?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Do we still want or need this? not sure if there's still a demand now that we're starting to see lockdown lifted in some areas.

I'm always keen for new ideas so if anyone has some to share please pipe up :)

milliepops

Visit site
I stumbled across these the other day and thought they would be nice for Darcy, just fairly straightforward exercises but I liked the way the first one linked together and he probably ought to try some more difficult canter moves now :p

Having a floorplan to aim for makes me be more strict with him about coping with the spooky side too ;)

https://blog.equisense.com/en/exercises-control/

not wedded to this obviously but just a starter for 10!

Kat

Visit site
I'm still interested. I have just revisited the 6 circles from week 3, I am finding it really useful.

I have got a lesson booked next week - yay! I am so excited, only at our place, I'm not boxing out yet.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
A good exercise for starting to introduce sitting trot is on a circle to alternate the diagonal used every four strides or so. Make sure the rhythm, bend contact etc stays exactly the same as you change diagonal. The aim is the horse gets used to keeping their back up as balance changes making it easier for them to carry you when sitting. Hope that makes sense! Might be a good one to do?

Roxylola

Visit site
Ooh, I like that idea for sitting trot.
Canter exercises are my focus at the moment. I often find with canter if I leave it alone it gets better on it's own, but at the same time things like canter trot transitions wont get better if I dont ride them :rolleyes:

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
An exercise I did yesterday with both of mine which helped the canter transitions (or just in general as we did it in walk and trot too), was to make a transition at every marker going large.

Now Skylla was being a good egg for once, but it was good for accuracy and getting her listening. Topaz we did Canter-Walk-Canter transitions as she is a super swotty advanced horse lol, for her walking to the next marker before cantering was good for schooling that she must walk not jog ;).

milliepops

Visit site
Ooh, I like that idea for sitting trot.
Canter exercises are my focus at the moment. I often find with canter if I leave it alone it gets better on it's own, but at the same time things like canter trot transitions wont get better if I dont ride them :rolleyes:
Yeah this is where I am with Darcy now. while he was in his "Difficult Winter Period" I more or less left canter alone as he was too wild to cope with it well. He is straighter and more generally rideable now but needs to do the canter work to make the canter itself better. I've probably been guilty of babying him a bit too much now and need to try and get him working a bit harder.

his right canter feels almost like a proper horse :p I can probably start challenging that a bit more. Left is a bit motorbikey as he gets ignorant about my inside leg so I will be returning to the leg yield-canter exercises from a few weeks ago I think, and might really upset his tiny brain by asking him to LY in canter o_O

Roxylola

Visit site
I think one of my issues is the canter was so rubbish and so difficult to get I was reluctant to stop once we got it as I wanted to encourage it. Now that we have a transition and a canter without getting stressed running and otherwise struggling I have to be more willing to play with it. So thanks HP I shall look at that. When I was riding the sports horse I had a couple of years ago I worked on going walk trot canter trot walk within one long side - got him really on the aids and made me bloody work lol

milliepops

Visit site
An exercise I did yesterday with both of mine which helped the canter transitions (or just in general as we did it in walk and trot too), was to make a transition at every marker going large.

Now Skylla was being a good egg for once, but it was good for accuracy and getting her listening. Topaz we did Canter-Walk-Canter transitions as she is a super swotty advanced horse lol, for her walking to the next marker before cantering was good for schooling that she must walk not jog ;).
aww well done Skylla, that's a good one. I do on and back with Kira like that to really check that the reaction is instant. I think that would buzz Darcy up too much the moment (still needs to work on unbuzzing :p)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
aww well done Skylla, that's a good one. I do on and back with Kira like that to really check that the reaction is instant. I think that would buzz Darcy up too much the moment (still needs to work on unbuzzing :p)

Yeah quick transitions are not something I can work on unless she's feeling chill! It's interesting I put the VIP pad on her last night and I'm wondering if it was the reason she was more compliant than normal? That or the zero hard feed and lots of grass?

Topaz did some on and back in the trot but not quite on the markers as much:

milliepops

Visit site
it's tricky isn't it, he gets behind my aid to the left canter and then strikes off incorrectly as a result, so he does need to sharpen up. but in a way that makes him think *more* and at the moment if I get after him too much he thinks LESS :rolleyes: and just gets hysterical.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
it's tricky isn't it, he gets behind my aid to the left canter and then strikes off incorrectly as a result, so he does need to sharpen up. but in a way that makes him think *more* and at the moment if I get after him too much he thinks LESS :rolleyes: and just gets hysterical.

Sounds familiar! Skylla I needed to slow her down so she could engage her brain, rushing was her was of evading, but then I could slow her right down and still get the upwards transition as she's so sharp off the leg...

Leg yielding over to get the leg on (slow leg yield ;)) and then asking for the canter once you hit the track helped Skylla with finding left canter?

Roxylola

Visit site
I used the snowman very effectively with one of my lessons who struggled with strike offs on one rein. The little circle helped gather the trot and gave a correct strike off every time

milliepops

Visit site
I used the snowman very effectively with one of my lessons who struggled with strike offs on one rein. The little circle helped gather the trot and gave a correct strike off every time
yes I found that really effective too. He started to anticipate the transition coming off the circle and got a bit unruly but it remains up my sleeve ;) he has always struggled to the left, I think it's partly me now because he is more difficult to put into the right rein and I end up bending him more than he can really do, so we get a head tilt instead of just softening at the poll. i think the circle right stopped me doing that and gave him more of a chance. Need to find ways to replicate that :)

milliepops

Visit site
Sounds familiar! Skylla I needed to slow her down so she could engage her brain, rushing was her was of evading, but then I could slow her right down and still get the upwards transition as she's so sharp off the leg...

Leg yielding over to get the leg on (slow leg yield ;)) and then asking for the canter once you hit the track helped Skylla with finding left canter?
yes that's what I'm thinking of. and then also LYing in canter when he gets rude about my inside leg.
he's only half a beat behind the aid but that's enough to get it wrong. I think he doesn't really believe me, probably a combination of me not wanting to cause an explosion and him not trusting his balance.

Roxylola

Visit site
I've used leg yield for canter transitions too.
I often find (even with buzzy horses) that a pattern helps them eg we always ask for canter left in the f corner (or as appropriate) I know they can then anticipate and it's got to be done intelligently but it can help.
Also small circle in to the school and pick up just before coming back to the track - that works best on corner exits I find

catkin

Visit site
Late to the party
Yes still interested, I'm finding the structure of the exercises really helpful (as are the comments - thank you all for sharing your experiences so honestly - it's really helping me to keep focus and not get disheartened)

Walrus

Visit site
I dont comment much but am also enjoying the ideas. The week with the canter exercises inc the snowman came at just the right point in lockdown to perk us up.

These look useful too. We are working more on the canter at the moment too. My mare is quite steady and we need to encourage a bit more jump in the canter (she's also quite slow thinking in the nicest possible way). I had been trying leg yield from the corner to the CL in trot then canter transition and half 10m circle back to the track thinking it would tuck her bottom under and give some push but she was getting a bit stuck on the circle as her legs weren't moving quick enough. Had our first post lockdown lesson on Thursday (verdict...after 2 months with no supervision my instructor was impressed with progress ??), we did an exercise more suited to her which was trot up the CL and LY back to the track with a canter trans mid-LY at the 3/4 line then continue the LY in canter, ride a forward 20m circle then back to the track, trot and repeat from the other end. Made such a difference and really got her pushing more with the inside hind and forwards. ?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
We had a fail for week 7! Skylla has been going super, but a new horse that had been turned out got her a bit daft and then I saw she had a rub in the corner of her mouth ?.

Rode without the bit last night, got cocky and then got carted off with ??.
87E83C5C-3EB8-4714-9E8E-4BF85A94AED6.jpeg
D4F861D1-3DE9-4955-96C2-6338C6873A0D.jpeg
53590681-5423-4024-8A9F-265994765A8F.jpeg

Horses they are good levellers aren’t they ?. No harm done...

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm still interested in theory but don't have a flat(ish) bit to school in which doesn't have an electric fence in the middle of it this week. Still there's talk of putting boards out in the big field when the herd moves in a couple of weeks so maybe one day I'll get to trot a proper circle :p

I like the look of exercises 1 and 3. I feel that 3 may involve some counter canter if my mare decides it's more entertaining to go into her tiny pissy little canter instead of trot. I fear 1 may involve significant geometry issues if I attempt it without markers ?

palo1

Visit site
I stumbled across these the other day and thought they would be nice for Darcy, just fairly straightforward exercises but I liked the way the first one linked together and he probably ought to try some more difficult canter moves now :p

Having a floorplan to aim for makes me be more strict with him about coping with the spooky side too ;)

https://blog.equisense.com/en/exercises-control/

not wedded to this obviously but just a starter for 10!

Great exercise which I can modify to suit my baby horse. Thank you!! :) We are still enjoying a variety of exercises from the earlier weeks but I do so little with her atm that it takes us a while...:D:D