HHO virtual group clinic ideas - week 1

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
So here's a loose idea, for those of us stuck without access to lessons and mainly confined to arena/fields etc
How about we come up with some exercises that are applicable to all levels - maybe they can have added difficulty or complexity for more advanced combinations but be suitable for green horses and novices too?

Be nice to have something to work on together and report back on? share tips and successes, commiserate on difficulties ;)
It looks like lots of people have stopped jumping so I'm mainly thinking flatwork but we could do poles too.

We could do a different one of each every week. Suggestions from anyone please, copy an exercise from a book or something online, or something you've done in a previous lesson?
It came up because 2 of us on the weekend plans thread had been working on corners this week, so something as simple as that could be ideal.

Who's in?

EDIT to add:
for newcomers, the exercise in post 2 below is this week's challenge. DabDab has added some ideas for translating to groupwork, see post 15 :)
Next exercise will be selected on Friday 10th April.

Last edited:

milliepops

Visit site

Kat

Visit site
Oooh yes sounds good! I am still riding but with no lessons, clinics or riding together it is difficult to find much motivation and stay on track.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I am not riding as I can only hack out in the woods and I am not doing that at the moment.
I live on a hillside and the only flat area I have is about 10 yards square.
Any ideas for what we can do will be greatly appreciated as C is already bored with grooming and feet picking out.
Thanks

HufflyPuffly

Visit site

milliepops

Visit site
I'm totally trying this for Skylla next time I school, anything that can promote relaxation is super handy for her, thank you :).
right well executive decision, it's going to be the first one then :p Let's make a new thread for each one, maybe start on the weekends?

Maybe someone else can help come up with some groundwork ideas.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Definitely - always looking for polework configurations and suggestions especially that fit into a 20 x 40 school. Some of the ones you see online seem to assume an olympic size arena and unlimited poles.

Roxylola

Visit site
I'll have a go at this with supercob, he's a bit over-round at the moment and inclined to curl up anyway and particularly to be a bit over reactive to the aids, I think the phase 1 being repeated a few times will really help him

scats

Visit site
I’m in!
A few years ago I created a load of schooling session plans (some poles, some not) for our yard because people kept asking me for ideas. I’ve got them all in a file at the yard.
I could share a few of those.

HashRouge

Visit site
Ooh I'd love to have a go at this! I'm a bit limited as I don't have access to a school and have to ride in a western saddle (it's my share horse) but he's never really schooled before so those exercises look like they'd be really good for him. There is an open field on one of the hacks we do so we could use the top corner of that to have a go. He's very green so will be interesting to see how he does - I'll report back!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm in too.

For groundwork people can follow a very similar theme....

Ideally using a cavesson with a loop on top of the nose, but also works with a normal headcollar and longish rope. Position yourself in front of the horse and walk backwards having the horse follow you. Try to walk with your legs apart to match where you want your horse's front legs to follow. Walk on a continuous 20m circle, angle the rope a little inwards and do the same rhythmic squeezing motion for six strides, squeezing as the horse's front inside leg is in the air. Do the same with the outside when outside front is in the air. Then add in pointing to the horse's ribs with the whip to simulate the calf squeeze parts of the exercise, and pointing to just behind the shoulder for the knee contacts.

Good for unbacked babies and experienced horses. Once you get the hang of it you can really see them relax, soften and use their posture a lot better. You're effectively teaching them to allow you to affect where they put their legs down with physical cues.

KEK

Visit site
I'm in, hopefully exercise 1 only won't be too much. Good idea MP!
Thanks for the groundwork instructions DD, might try this 1st.

Wheels

Visit site
Great idea MP and we will use your exercise as the first one! Shall we keep this going for a week so until next Friday and then someone pick another exercise for the weekend?

palo1

Visit site
I'm in! I like the look of week 1 exercises but (and probably sound very lightweight) not sure if I will be able to remember everything in one go! Interesting!! :) Thanks - a great idea to do this. :)

Wheels

Visit site
Milliepops what a brilliant start!

I had a go this evening, we did this towards the end of our session and so M was already fairly well connected but this put the icing on the cake, and the cherry!

We got as far as exercise 7 which is the leg yielding one. Palo1 I had to write them on a post it note to remember then lol

This is definitely something I will keep practising :D

milliepops

Visit site
Milliepops what a brilliant start!

I had a go this evening, we did this towards the end of our session and so M was already fairly well connected but this put the icing on the cake, and the cherry!

We got as far as exercise 7 which is the leg yielding one. Palo1 I had to write them on a post it note to remember then lol

This is definitely something I will keep practising :D
Oh brilliant! I remember the first time I tried it, it seemed a bit daft but really made a difference . Just rediscovered it by chance today ;)

Roxylola

Visit site
I did 1 to 6, omg it was so hard, I kept over thinking it and swapping my diagonal it's the every other sit that messed my head up

Kat

Visit site
Tried this tonight.

I did it after a fairly short warm up on the basis that trotting a 20m circle with bending and flexing is a decent exercise for warming up.

I tried to remember 1-6 which was challenging enough but the every other sit thing about finished me off! I really struggled with that.

Found it did help get an even consistent contact which is something we need to improve. However we struggled to keep a rhythm (always a problem neither of us have a sense of rhythm) and we struggled a bit with keeping the circle the same size and an even shape.

Ran through 1-6 a couple of time then did some shapes and worked on some transitions. It definitely helped the contact so I will try again!

Any tips? Or feedback on how to improve? I was surprised how difficult I found it!!!

Kat

Visit site
I counted in the end too, the words confused me more but I still found counting sits only a bit hard. I'm a bit spesh like that ?