Hi, im new to this and looking for cool tech.

DPalouG

New User
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Im new to the world of horses, I used to be a fish person but now I want to make the step into horses by adopting a friend's horse.

I am quite into technology and I would like to know what kind of technologies for horses are out there.​
Also some other questions I have is regarding the chip registration as this will become a compulsory thing, right? I live in the UK. Do I need to call the vet to modify the owner details? I also read that they charge you for updating the details, is that correct? I found a database different from the others called PetScanner that you can register your horse with a scanner for the phone, it looks quite new, any feedback on it? and I dont know which database is registered to but could the horse be registered with two databases if I decide to go with a different one?

Hope someone could help me!

Theocat

Visit site
Technology in relation to horses is pretty woeful.

Horses are rather different to fish.

Without knowing more about you, I suggest you work on the basis that horses are technology-free, and re-evaluate it as a hobby. If it still appeals, start by having lessons every week and volunteering to help muck out (shovel poo out of stables). If it still appeals after a few months of that, come back to us and we can talk about microchips - but microchips are not a fruitful starting point for this hobby.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
If you're more interested in the tech than in riding, you don't need to adopt a horse. You can probably do everything you want with a rabbit or a guinea pig.

Compare a rabbit hutch and a little rabbit to a stable and a 600kg to 800kg animal requiring food and creating excrement in proportion to its body weight.

All the sensors that you would put in a stable, you can put in a hutch. Here are just a few ideas off the top of my head.
  • You can monitor air temperature inside the hutch, compare it to outside ambient temperature.
  • Put a flow sensor on the water bottle and monitor water consumption; correlate that with temperature.
  • Add an automatic feed dispener that drops feed into a bowl with a weight sensor below it, and monitor the rate at which the weight of feed decreases.
  • Put infra-red cameras in the hutch, add AI object recognition software and track the animal's movements.
When you get bored with all that, a big rabbit is about enough meat for a meal for four people. You'd need to invite a lot of people for a 600kg to 800kg animal, and I'm not sure that you'd find enough people willing to help you get through it.