Hi Viz.. Can I confess??

Keltic

Visit site
Ive been converted!!! :)
Ive been really paying attention to this lately and have seen alot of people hacking around us with or without Hi Viz and I noticed a big difference in how soon/far you spot those in Hi viz than those without.

I confess Ive never really worn it much before, but my friend for Christmas got me a padded Hi Viz jacket with a horse on the back, which I have worn every time ive rode and when its too warm for that im going to treat myself to one of those "POLITE" vests.
So any other recent converts? do you wear yours everytime?

laurinski

New User
Visit site
I'm glad to hear that people are converting!
I very rarely go out without it, even in the summer (dodgy little shady spots in bright sunshine are perfect to get caught out in) and I hope that more people will wear it, there are too many stories of people and their horses being hit by cars, it never mentions if they were wearing hi viz but I think it can make a huge difference especially when so many people are in such a rush to get places.

kellybee

Visit site
I run a business printing hi vis jackets and vests. The Polite ones get the best feedback, followed by "CAUTION Young Horse In Training"

kezimac

Visit site
well done - i always 'vis up'!! My horse has an unlined exercise sheet (someone should make those in mesh as although its unlined i reckon still too hot for summer)
And i wear it no matter the weather - cant stand people on our yard going out with no hi vis on- our lanes are all high hedges and no verge. doesnt bear thinking about....

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Go Celtic! Always nice to hear of another convert :)

oh ...and my vest says ' KILL YOUR SPEED NOT MY HORSE' it does slow them down!

I like that idea too. I'm thinking of treating myself to a POLITE one because people seem to have lost the ability to slow down in my area. I wear hi viz every time I ride now but still they wizz past without slowing down. I'm lucky - my horses are very well behaved in traffic but I hate to think what would happen if they spooked at something in the hedge.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Glad to see your converted :)

I have to be honest, I never worse hi-viz until I learnt to drive and started taking notice if hazards. I now where it all the time and feel strange without it, a bit like my hat :)

monkeybum13

Visit site
well done - i always 'vis up'!! My horse has an unlined exercise sheet (someone should make those in mesh as although its unlined i reckon still too hot for summer)
And i wear it no matter the weather - cant stand people on our yard going out with no hi vis on- our lanes are all high hedges and no verge. doesnt bear thinking about....

You can get sheets in mesh, I have some.

There are some nice ones on ebay that wrap around the saddle and shires do ones that go underneath the saddle.

This is my fav mesh one but I didn't pay anything near that price!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fluorescent-R...r_Equipment&hash=item43a50821fc#ht_1112wt_825

c2b

Visit site
This is us. What do you see first. Horse or hi-vis? In this photo my mare is also wearing hi-vis leg bands....invisible in this photo and a necklace.. almost invisible in this photo. We get laughed at by certain people but I am too old to give a hoot.
2006_1223_Foggy_walk_0013.jpg

Lolo

Visit site

We have a mesh one- think we got it off eBay for pennies... It looks like a string vest, only in high-viz! It's fab in the summer.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I love hi viz - just got to get some new stuff for summer as I lost a bootie and my vest (just have a hi viz jacket now) and investing in a exercise sheet too :)

Nothing is cooler than being seen :D

Izzwizz

Visit site
The Luna Rider waistcoats are great for summer with pockets in and the lightweight jackets are good for weather like now. I have a Shires jacket for the colder weather and wouldnt dream of riding without hi-viz.

trottingon

Visit site

Try a "Parsons Rump" if you find an exercise sheet too sweaty, I think you can get them on Ebay.

3~2~1

Visit site
Shires make one of these, its lovely and lightweight, ideal for the summer evenings I got one off e-bay a few weeks back but its too small for my horse so its got to go back on e-bay :))

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
I have a vast selection of hi viz - my latest acquistion is a fleece, from Screw Fix - it was cheap, it is warm, and has plenty of pockets for junk. We had mist yesterday when we hacked out, and I was the only rider with hi viz on - I do think it saved us from being run down, as visibility was shocking at one point!

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
This is us. What do you see first. Horse or hi-vis? In this photo my mare is also wearing hi-vis leg bands....invisible in this photo and a necklace.. almost invisible in this photo. We get laughed at by certain people but I am too old to give a hoot.
2006_1223_Foggy_walk_0013.jpg

maybe all that hi viz that is how you got to be so old :D
I don't wear it much on the estate but certainly do out on the roads. Picked up flashing arm bands in the recent Lidl cycling sale. cool as anything, I am now a flasher :D
Good on you Keltic, can't have that old mare of yours outliving you :p x

BlizzardBudd

Visit site
glad to hear that some other people wear it. i got laughed at when i started wearing just a hi-viz vest, but have just brushed off the comments and am now looking for a cheap jacket/exercise sheet. i just think it is silly not wearing it especially on the thin country lanes that i hack on :D

Piglet

Visit site
Am def a convert since moving from the moor to the "incountry" I always wear hi-viz, also my job requires me advising people on road safety, I need to practice what I preach, would be very embarrassing if I was seen out without hi-viz! I also notice drivers slow down more and been a car driver coming across people riding in dark clothes is quite hard to see in the lanes. Why do manufacturers insist on making jackets in dark colours, there are not many comfy well fitted hi-viz jackets out there but there are loads of well fitted jackets in dark colours for sale

Enfys

Visit site
Parsons rump, for those like me who wondered - :confused:

15%20copy.jpg

www.parsonsrump.co.uk

Have to admit that I don't even own a stitch of hi-vis, I probably would if I rode on the roads, but I have no need to do so, so don't.
Back in the UK I was often told that I could be seen on the mountain a mile away, my jacket was actually a HH sailing jacket, who cares, bright yellow, same effect. Wouldn't have dreamt of riding around the mountains or lanes without hv on then.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I saw a pony this morning, well, I didn't see the pony, but I did just see the rider's high viz tabard.

An exercise sheet would have been grand - due to the way the lady was leaning forward, had it been raining (and thereby reducing visibility) I don't think I would have seen her.

But, at least she had something on :D

ISHmad

Visit site
I'm not a recent convert as have always worn hi viz. Congratulations on taking these steps to protect your horse, who after all is the one who takes the impact first in the event of an RTA. Anything that helps give those drivers valuable extra seconds to be aware of you has to be worth it.