Hickstead Premier League Report

Worried1

Visit site
After a truly mental 10 days (We have done Futurity, Kent County, driven 3 horses up to Oxfordshire for lessons with Emile and planned to finish off by competing at Hickstead) a very, very tired Team Worried finally trudged to Hickstead today for the Dressage Masters Novice Championship.

Arthur qualified in June by coming 3rd in the Semi-Fina with 68% so as much as we went hoping we would win realistically we knew that was highly unlikely. He has yet to crack the elusive 70% barrier at a championship, he's not far off but the medium trots are still a little lacklustre! :eek:

A massive thank you to Team Worried's fan club and entourage who without fail, travel the length and breadth of the UK to support us, we greatly appreciate you all, thank you for keeping me sane especially when Mr W is pootling along like a tit in a trance!!!! We have lots of laughs and even the odd tear, I know I welled up today when they read Arthur's biography!!!!! :eek:

Quick re-cap for those that don;t know Arthur, we took him on after his owner very sadly passed away, technically he is still owned by her two sons, but he has been with us since February 2011. He has been very frustrating at times, sharp, green and an absolute drama queen! However he has a heart of gold and is a real trier when he is focused.

In recent months Mr Worried has had a real breakthrough and finally they are a real partnership. It was seriously put to the test at the semi-final when the arena blew away at the start of their test! And today again he showed just how much he has matured and how much he trusts Mr W, the trade-stands, marque, advertising banners and general show traffic proved no problem today :)

The calmers are definitely helping him and he was much more chilled to get ready, he had 20 minutes leg stretch in the turnout pen as we were still waterlogged! Left in good time and arrived at 10.45am to be greeted by this...

487283_10151120598492664_2003108947_n.jpg

As we were waiting patiently to be towed in the tractor driver came over and said He would not pull anymore in! We were a bit :eek: then :mad: then somebody came over and said unload here. So I got him ready on the lorry then walked him over to the warm-up while Mr W and the organisers tried to decide where best to leave a lorry that didn't fit in the carpark!

So while Arthur and I waited patiently in front of a lake which was not there on my last visit to Hickstead, we were approached by a photographer who asked to take some arty shots. I was a bit dubious as Arth can be a total arse over noise but once again he made me look like a prize tit by doing his best donkey impression EVER! So if you see any arty tack shots in BD mag or website chances are they will be Arth!

Finally with the lorry abandoned Mr W got on and warmed up. Today I think the last couple of weeks and travel had caught up with the pair of them as they were both ever so slightly flat. However they did a lovely, clam, flowing and obedient test which received great feedback from all 3 judges, virtually identical marks and comments and probably the nicest comment from a very well respected judge who said this horse shows correct training in line with the scales of training which we thought was high praise indeed! :D

Mini Worried wearing his brand new team T-shirt stole the show by sitting on the seating and clapping after every movement and then waving and calling Dada every time Mr W went past! Anyone in any doubt about Children should take the view we have... Mini W has been instrumental in bombproofing Arthur!

They scored 66.76% with mainly 7's and the odd 6's and an 8 and finished 18th out of 32. Mediums are his nemesis and so didn't really happen today. Arthur is never going to trot with his legs up by his ears he simply isn't that naturally exuberant so against better moving horses he will always get a 7 against their 8, however that said his canter is great as is his walk so we think with a slightly more complicated test we can extract a few more marks yet!

But we were so pleased to have reached the final, we were pleased at how well he coped with the atmosphere and I very much hope his owner was looking down today and was equally as proud as I am at what they have achieved together.

Couple of pictures from today

241855_10151121238357664_1091583452_o.jpg

309345_239113822875992_2074402750_n.jpg

HayleyUK

Visit site
Well done! Mini W sounds so cute!

It's a shame your not closer, Mr W sounds like such a sympathetic rider & I'd love some lessons with him (probably a bit crap for him though!)

rotters13

Visit site
Sounds fantastic - what a super comment from the judge! I always prefer those comments to any others (unless saying what a truly fabulous rider I am, but they havent occured yet.) ;)

amage

Visit site
Eh hello....you can't tell us about cute team t-shirts and then not show them to us! Arthur looks gorgeous and way more chilled. Well done...and it's time for Mini W to earn his keep....rent him out for bombproofing!

nikkimariet

Visit site
I'm afraid I'm another one who wants to see proof of Team W merch ;)

Go Arthur!! Fab stuff :) He looks lovely and really confident, all credit due to both your and Mr W's hard work.

Halfstep

Visit site
Well done! IT must be very satisfying to have got him to this point, especially given where he started from, he's a real tribute to "Team Worried"!
You must be shattered, that is a ton of driving. xx:)

Worried1

Visit site
I have to confess I am not sure if we have any...

Mr wilde2 might have taken a couple so will ask! By the time I realised he looked uber cute in his Team gear, he had half his lunch down it and a great deal of Sussex mud on the bottom half!

We were really pleased, of course we would have been delighted with a top 10 finish but you honestly can't moan when you are beaten by better horses.

It was interesting though that Arthur is a genuine Novice horse who has not competed above Novice, a couple of the horses have results upto Advanced Medium, I did wonder if BD might introduce a cap on horses to stop some people cashing in on championships?

Of course it has been our choice not to compete him at a higher level but I wonder how many of those horse in the final would have been exempt if a cap was placed on horses competing no more than two level above?

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
fabby! he's becomming so growed up isnt he :wub:

..............i remain uncovinced of the merits of producing a child as a means of bombproofing......perhaps i could borrow one weekly for training sessions instead?!

clever A and mr W :)

Lolo

Visit site
fabby! he's becomming so growed up isnt he :wub:

..............i remain uncovinced of the merits of producing a child as a means of bombproofing......perhaps i could borrow one weekly for training sessions instead?!

clever A and mr W :)

You can have Al? She's not a baby per se (18 months/ 18 years... All the same?), but I'm willing to let her go for a good price... :p :D :D

Massive well done, he's so smart and looks so grown up. Love the idea of team merchandise (especially on small and adorable children)!

Worried1

Visit site
Thank you :) still waiting on possible mini W photos... If not I will stage a photoshoot this weekend as we are at Speedgate... that is providing we can get the stains out of the T-shirt ;)

Jackpotsstud

www.jackpotsstud.co.uk
We were there yesterday too - the car park was something else wasn't it?! But Hickstead cope so well and the atmosphere is always really friendly.

We were lucky enough to be in the prize giving for the Novice and were chatting to other competitors who were all riding young or inexperienced horses. So even if there were more advanced horses competing it is nice that the true novice horses seemed to make the prize giving. Our horse has only been in work since October 2011 so was a real ask for him. But he behaved like a true star and pulled a great test out of the bag.

Worried1

Visit site
I didn't see your test but did see him warming up, he is lovely and has so much cadence doesn't he? And what a great score!

There were a couple of younger horses but equally several clearly more established horses, I just wonder if BD might introduce a cap; so at a certain level at championships it would only be open to horses not to have gained points at more than two levels above?

For example last year there was a horse who qualified at N, E and M.

Arthur is obviously working a clear 2 levels above what he is competing but has never competed beyond Novice, partly as he is very green and also because we have tried to be competitive.