High Fibre and High Oil Diet

wiglet

Visit site
Following a very mild bout of Azoturia, I have been advised to feed a high fibre, high oil diet.
I don't, and have never fed cereals so it's all a bit puzzling but, at the moment I feed:
Dengie HiFi molasses free
Fast Fibre
Micronised linseed
Carrots

Do I need to add actual oil - i.e. switch to linseed oil? Or is the micronised linseed ok? Or is another oil better?
Rest of the diet I feed is just fibre - right?
Change or add anything?

Thanks

sonjafoers

Visit site
What about a high oil supplement such as Baileys Outshine, Saracen EquiJewel, Dodson & Horrell Build & Glow etc?

I don't know much about feeding after azoturia but I think Saracen ReLeve might be worth a look ( alongside their EquiJewel maybe ).

Good luck

JenHunt

Visit site
as long as the linseed is full fat and no linseed expeller meal then there's no need to add actual oil as well so long as you're feeding a decent quantity - I feed a stubbs scoop per horse per day when they are hunting!

Equi-jewel, and Outshine are slightly lower oil and higher cost than full fat linseed meal so false economy unless you're only feeding a mug full per day.

consider a vitamin E supplement to help protect the muscles from azoturia damange, and as long as you're feeding a GP supplement you shouldn't need anything else, that diet is more or less what mine hunt on.

dianchi

Visit site
Personally i would cut out the carrots as thats a sugar source.
Providing that you dont need any additional energy etc i would stick with what you are on!

ellie_e

Visit site
My boy suffered with tying up,changed his feed to Releve & micronised linseed and gave him a muscle supplement and never had an attack from there on in.

wiglet

Visit site
Thanks for the comments.
For now, I will leave her on her present diet but will up the linseed - she only gets a cupful and I've got 2 x 20kg sacks (which I bought for my oldie who has now been pts :( ) to get through! Will also drop the carrots.
I have been looking at the Releve and it does look to be exactly what I need so, once I've used up the linseed, I'll take another look at the stuff.... unless the linseed and normal diet is working - then I'll just leave it - if it aint broke... don't fix it eh?!