Highland pony recommendations

Sprig

Visit site
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a stud to look at for a sportier model of highland pony. I am looking to buy a foal either this year or next to take over from my riding horse when he retires. It will be a RC all rounder, with a good bit of endurance in the mix. I prefer a more forward going ride. Ideally I would like it to be 14.2hh. I am finding it difficult to differentiate between those ponies that are likely to be suitable or not. I like the look of the Talisker ponies, so they are on my list to contact. This will be my forever pony so I am keen to get it right. I am v aware that buying a foal I am highly reliant on the breeder being honest about the likelihood of the pony being a good match for my requirements, rather than just trying to secure a sale. I already have knocked a few off the list that didn't sound quite right once I asked a few more questions, despite the breeders assuring me they would fit the bill. Thanks all.

CorriegarthJ

Visit site
Defo get in contact with Kate from the Talisker stud. She is literally down the road from me. I’ve got a yearling from her stallion Kincardine Raasay and ive just put a deposit down on his half brother, same dam but stallion in Turin hill Kylemore. Lovely ponies with amazing temperaments and she does not push you to buy. Very, very honest and puts all her ponies first. Im not overly sure what she has available at the moment as I don’t think that she is putting Rassay out as stud for a few years now. Unfortunately you can’t guarantee height when buying from foals. where are you based?

Lintel

Visit site
I have a Craignetherty lad, he is 14.1hh would do anything so very versatile, happy to jump. However is not forward, but both his brother were! He is just very laid back about life..
Haven't heard a bad thing about Craignetherty, but they are in Aberdeen so where are you based?

Totally biased but I would recommend them!

honetpot

Visit site
There is a Highland pony FB group, where you can look at different types. I have had a few and think as long as you keep them slim they are very active ponies. I had a Achnacone pony, which was doing x- country jumps at five.
http://spanishorse.homestead.com/mypageindex.html
If you are buying something under three don't worry if it looks a bit of a donkey, like all good things they take time.

Sprig

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I am pleased to hear Kate comes recommended. Is it Jupiter you have bought? I just saw him on her website today. I would have loved him. He seems just what I would be looking for.

I am Wiltshire based, but happy to travel/buy unseen if required

Boulty

Visit site
Might be worth talking to Derry at Morrich stud as his tend to be of the sportier type although depends what age you're looking for. I think most of the ones he's trying to sell at moment are a bit older than you want but he's had at least 1 foal born this year & possibly at least 1 more due I think. He's also got a lovely 2 yr old but I think he's trying to keep him entire.

I believe Scotland is still in lockdown at the moment though so would think chances of a viewing this year would be unlikely (may be worth an ask if it ends up being next year though)

Last edited:

CorriegarthJ

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I am pleased to hear Kate comes recommended. Is it Jupiter you have bought? I just saw him on her website today. I would have loved him. He seems just what I would be looking for.

I am Wiltshire based, but happy to travel/buy unseen if required

Yes it is ☺️ He’s the half brother to my current lad. I mean this in the nicest possible way but there was no chance he was going to anyone else ? there will be more next year. Their mum is coming down again in a few months to be put in foal again. Although if she has a filly, I believe that she will be kept by the owner.

Sprig

Visit site
Thanks again. I had Morrich on the list from searching previous threads on here and then I forgot to look them up. I have just sent them a message. Does anyone know Lagalgarve highlands? One of their 3yo was for sale near me recently and looked V nice.

CorriegarthJ

Visit site
Look on the highland pony sites on Facebook. There are loads on there. It’s called the friendly highland pony group x

Moobli

Visit site
As well as Talisker and Morrich, have a look at Lurgan near Aberfeldy in Perthshire. Sally is extremely helpful and has some beautiful ponies.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine would be useless! Hes the most laid back creature I have ever met and is going to be a big chunky boy. His dam is by Stirlingdene and he's by Glenbachor Gillebrighde, so maybe avoid those lines?

Sprig

Visit site
I am on the friendly highland pony group already. Thanks, I will look those up. It is good to know where not to look as well.:rolleyes:

CaitlinGB

Visit site
I absolutely love my highland pony!! She is a partbred out of Fyfedene and she certainly has the chunky of a highland pony however she’s has an excellent dressage build but I have eventer her 80 (could possible go to95) and sj her 90 compeating and jumped up to 1.20 at home. She is 14.2 and has a loverly personality! (Sorry if this is to off topic) I highly recommend them. Fb pages are the best ways to find them I have found.

Sprig

Visit site
That Glenbachor pony sounds great. It will be interesting to see some video of him. I will look him up.

Leo Walker

Visit site
To be fair a Glenbachor pony is the only pony in recent history to qualify for HOYS as an Open Ridden, Working Hunter Pony AND in the Private Driving class! He certainly has scope and is forward going.

yup and when mine took himself over a jump in the arena, he's going to be very scopey as well. Hes also really correct and moves well. But he's super laid back and going to be chunky like his dad. Hes not the sporty leggy version that it sounds like OP wants. I personally think shes mad and that everyone should have one like mine but people like different things.

Look up Glenbachor Gillebrighde and Stirlingdene OP. They might change your mind!

Sprig

Visit site
I don't mind a chunky one so long as it has some get up and go. I don't want to spend my whole time feeling like I am nagging it to do something it doesn't want to do. I know lots of it will be down to good schooling but I don't want to start at a disadvantage.

EventingMum

Visit site
I saw some youngsters a few years ago at Whitefield, they had a real variation in types and some lovely stock. The one the person I was with bought was lovely, moved well, learned quickly and was very easy to back. I don't know what they have now but might be worth a message.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I don't mind a chunky one so long as it has some get up and go. I don't want to spend my whole time feeling like I am nagging it to do something it doesn't want to do. I know lots of it will be down to good schooling but I don't want to start at a disadvantage.

Laid back doesn't mean ploddy, it just means laid back and easy going!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I've just been towed around the countryside by my Upperlochton. Unfortunately for you, he's one of a kind. The other's similarly daft, but he's a Morrich and Derry's not open for business right now.

The main reason mine are (politely) wild and bouncy is that they're fit, fairly slim, and well trained. Some lines are stockier, but I think the majority are capable of being at least moderately decent rides.

Sprig

Visit site
Thanks everyone. It is a great opportunity being able to select a foal to be my next riding horse but it is also quite daunting. I want this horse to be with me for at least the next 20 years so it has to be right. I am doing as much research as I can and the Internet is so helpful. Even in the current lockdown I have so much information available to me. Maybe too much!

windand rain

Visit site
Think there are a couple of foals available at Heald Town stud in cheshire
Heald Town Catkin (Kitten)
kitten at sunset.jpgfluffy tummy.jpg
top pick is as a yearling bottom one as a rather gangly 2 year old

RainCloud101

New User
Visit site
Thanks again. I had Morrich on the list from searching previous threads on here and then I forgot to look them up. I have just sent them a message. Does anyone know Lagalgarve highlands? One of their 3yo was for sale near me recently and looked V nice.
Lagalgarves are really lovely and are on my wish list.
Mine is a finer type. I’ve had a slow start with her but I sent her away for education and my goodness she was forward and responsive but pretty laid back in hacks. Mine is from Valerock stud, but whitefield/Dene lines.
good luck on your search.

Sprig

Visit site
Thank-you, I have been in touch with Heald Town stud. Does anyone have ponies from Lochlands or Carlung highland ponies?