Hilarious Advert

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
:(

Hope he finds a nice home, I would love him. A horse that rejects all the vanity bullsh1t that some moronic human tried to put them through seems entirely sensible in my view, and exactly my kind of horse.

I actually don't know whether any of my horses would accept having their manes pulled, ears or whiskers trimmed, or being twitched, because I've never done any of those things to them.

minesadouble

Visit site
Yes that's how it made me feel, in this day and age you need to use a twitch, to tidy a mane? We had a TB who had obviously been rough handled like this, and its sad to see. What is it with racing yards, it's like the dark ages of forty years ago when no one knew any better.

I think that's a really unfair comment. I've had 3 horses straight out of training (from 3 different racing yards) and they've all been confident, well mannered, friendly individuals who have obviously had the best of care.

Unlike some of the rude and obnoxious individuals we have at livery that are owned by your average clueless pony hugger.

honetpot

Visit site
I think that's a really unfair comment. I've had 3 horses straight out of training (from 3 different racing yards) and they've all been confident, well mannered, friendly individuals who have obviously had the best of care.

Unlike some of the rude and obnoxious individuals we have at livery that are owned by your average clueless pony hugger.

I am really pleased for you, but I have had experience of the opposite, and I have been around a few racing yards, and owned an ex race trained TB. When you compare them to amateur owned horses, well they are supposed to be cared for by trained experts, so you hope there would be a high standard of care and handling, and a horse that is obviously unhappy should never be the subject of humour.
If I was having these sorts of issues with a horse, I would be looking for intelligent ways to try and resolve them, not saying the horse is a problem.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
I'm not offended by the advert. One of the most talented horses I have known was very quirky on the ground. For the right person, they will just work around it.

That said, I would like to see him have a summer off in the field to relax and then see how he gets on. It wouldnt surprise me if he was a different horse once hes getting a tonne of turnout, no hard feed and a gentle re-introduction.

AandK

Visit site
I swing between finding this slightly amusing and feeling really sad for what sounds like a very unhappy horse… I hope he finds himself a home with someone who understands him.

FWIW I have an exracer, bred by the trainers Mum, and from how he is to handle and in general, it’s clear he was brought up and treated very well.

Widgeon

Visit site
Oh come on people, it's exaggeration for dramatic effect! She obviously cares about the horse or she wouldn't have bothered to write this advert, she'd just have emphasised the good points and flogged the horse cheap to someone unsuspecting. Instead she only seems interested in selling to a "GENUINE forever home" and says she will take him back if a new owner doesn't get on with him. She's just trying to write an eyecatching advert that's both honest and funny (whether or not you actually find it funny is obviously entirely personal and depends on your sense of humour). I agree that twitching to trim ears and plait seems insane but surely one incidence of bad practice doesn't mean she has no care for the horse. The world isn't that black and white. Yes it may be an unhappy distressed horse but on the other hand it may just be a bit of a grouch to handle. We don't know, because we don't know the horse. Why are people so keen to pass judgement on someone none of us know? Rant over.

Kat

Visit site
SEU has a lot to answer for. It makes me a bit sad the way people are speaking about horses now.

I haven't had a complete sense of humour bypass, SEU has had some really funny self deprecating posts, but so many people don't really get it and just think calling their horse a t**t is hilarious, or post stuff that is really unfair to the horse then aggressive about anyone who doesn't just agree that it is the funniest thing ever.

I can't really blame this seller for trying to use that trend to re-home a horse but it isn't very nice and I worry about who it may attract.

Annagain

Visit site
If you read one of her other posts she says she deliberately writes them like this to get maximum exposure as she has time to weed out the suitable people and make sure they find the right home. Some of her posts get 10,000 views but very few people contact her and those who do are usually seriously interested and often suitable. It's not a bad strategy I suppose, (although I agree on the twitching to pull a mane).

ETA - she puts it better than I do so have pasted:

The beautiful Wolfie has found the most perfect home imaginable. Now everytime I write one of these adverts, there is of course some people whom get offended. Particularly trainers and owners, and the occasional Karen from the public. Whilst I understand it can be confronting seeing a horse painted a bit of a shit picture, but the quirkier the advert the more exposure the horse gets and in turn, a great crack at getting that one in a million home. I am too fussy to give these horses away to the first person whom offers so my adverts need traction and exposure so I can get enough interest to be fussy and nit picky.
10, 000k + views and only 2 homes offered I was completely happy with. Hope this gives the racing industry a little insight and a bit more leniency in the future
2764.png

Best of luck Wolfie and thank you Doug Arnold Racing for the opportunity

Northern

Visit site
Oh come on people :rolleyes: have some humour. Though perhaps Aussie humour doesn't appeal to you Brits ;) (TIC comment, don't shoot me).

This is a well known seller who is sick of the shit trying to rehome her thoroughbreds. I believe she has had to rescue TBs she used to own from people who promised the world but they end up emaciated in a paddock or at the doggers. She writes ads like this all the time so she can weed out the genuine from the idiots (and there are *many* idiots here who think they ride like Hoy but can't even get on a horse). Regarding the twitching and trimming of whiskers, this is very common here in the hacking world. I don't like it, but top hack riders will do anything to win :rolleyes:. I read it more like he had to be twitched for vet work at some point, rather than to be clipped or trimmed.

Visit site
Yes that's how it made me feel, in this day and age you need to use a twitch, to tidy a mane? We had a TB who had obviously been rough handled like this, and its sad to see. What is it with racing yards, it's like the dark ages of forty years ago when no one knew any better.

Not in our yard. If a horse doesn't like being clipped I sedate it. Clipping is for welfare and I don't fancy dying thank you very much! If the horse is a bit of a git to pull it's mane then I will do it at the end of it being clipped if sedated. If they simply don't like it being pulled then we snip it with scissors (trust me! This offends me greatly BUT I would rather have a happy, content horse than a pretty picture - upset horses don't race well) And whilst we mane and tail plait the majority of our horses if the horse doesn't like it or is prone to getting wound up at the races we don't touch them. The race is there to be won not the £50 turnout prize.

I also do the majority of the rehoming from our yard and whilst I don't write adverts like this and I never would I do write honest ads and spend HOURS sifting through people before I even so much as respond to one of them. We certainly don't let our horses go to the first person who comes along to offer them a home.

humblepie

Visit site
I don't like people being disrespectful about their horses but take on board what others have said that she is responsible and trying to find the right home for the horse. Where I keep my horse it seems to be the non ex racehorses who need sedating or twitching for clipping!

Reactions: Kat

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
If you read one of her other posts she says she deliberately writes them like this to get maximum exposure as she has time to weed out the suitable people and make sure they find the right home. Some of her posts get 10,000 views but very few people contact her and those who do are usually seriously interested and often suitable. It's not a bad strategy I suppose, (although I agree on the twitching to pull a mane).

ETA - she puts it better than I do so have pasted:

The beautiful Wolfie has found the most perfect home imaginable. Now everytime I write one of these adverts, there is of course some people whom get offended. Particularly trainers and owners, and the occasional Karen from the public. Whilst I understand it can be confronting seeing a horse painted a bit of a shit picture, but the quirkier the advert the more exposure the horse gets and in turn, a great crack at getting that one in a million home. I am too fussy to give these horses away to the first person whom offers so my adverts need traction and exposure so I can get enough interest to be fussy and nit picky.
10, 000k + views and only 2 homes offered I was completely happy with. Hope this gives the racing industry a little insight and a bit more leniency in the future
2764.png

Best of luck Wolfie and thank you Doug Arnold Racing for the opportunity

I'm not offended, just think the person who wrote it sounds like a bit of a knob.

I guess I should be thankful that I know so many funny and interesting people irl, because that doesn't even register on the funny scale.

"Hey everyone, want to buy my horse, he's a right w4nker"

Hahahaha hahaha :rolleyes:

I'm once again completely baffled by this forum - everyone up in arms about the distress caused to a horse in the modern pentathlon (justifiably), but someone using the distress that they caused to a horse by twitching it and ripping it's hair out as a sales technique....yep, totally fine, lighten up, have a sense of humour.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't accept that the way she wrote it weeds out the wrong type of owner any more than writing

"He's not keen on vets or trimming or being fiddled with and can be difficult to handle. He will require an experienced home. He has bitten other horses and riders including whilst being ridden."

I sort of get that she may get more views by writing it as she did and give herself more choice of home but I think there must be other ways of advertising a horse for sale.

I think she great to guarantee to take them back if it doesn't work out.

Annagain

Visit site
I sort of get that she may get more views by writing it as she did and give herself more choice of home but I think there must be other ways of advertising a horse for sale.

Well, quite. Here we are on the other side of the world talking about it. Most of us aren't in a position to have him but we do have quite a few Australians on here who may never have seen it were it not for this discussion and one of them might just be the perfect home.

Charley657

Visit site
What is it about the internet that makes people lose their sense of humour? The horse can't read, it has no idea that its up for sale or what the advert said. It was written this way purely to get views and we are all sitting here talking about it so she must be doing something right. I laughed at several parts. :)

silv

Visit site
What is it about the internet that makes people lose their sense of humour? The horse can't read, it has no idea that its up for sale or what the advert said. It was written this way purely to get views and we are all sitting here talking about it so she must be doing something right. I laughed at several parts. :)
The voice of common sense which is sadly lacking these days

Reactions: TPO

I'm Dun

Visit site

Its not the way the ad is written, I can see its funny, or would be if it wasnt describing what sounds like a miserable horse who isnt being listened to