Hillside animal sanctuary

jrp204

Visit site
I know, rehomed it without an ear tag, flock number or movement form, think things will hit the fan on that one.

jrp204

Visit site
These people are for real! Streuth!! Love the comment on the squirrel thread about the guy who released a rat from a cage.
They appear to frequently accept stolen goods, lambs and now squirrel traps.

Keen

Visit site
Their tactics and 'reportage' are bewildering sometimes.

However, the animals I saw at the Norfolk centre last year were some of the most healthy, relaxed and happy I have seen. So they are doing something right.

jrp204

Visit site
If they choose to take in animals at the owners request fair play to them but they, as in the case of the lamb, are excepting stolen goods, they have moved it illegally. As livestock farmers we have to fill in and send to Animal Health' a movement form, our sheep have to have ear tags with our holding and flock number. This is for traceability and disease control. They appear to be above the law. This is someone's livelihood and whether or not you agree with why it has been born, meat or breeding, it is someone's property which someone has decided is abandoned and removed from the owners property. They have accepted the squirrel complete with trap, have they returned the trap to its owner? Doubtful?

millreef

Visit site
Sorry I'll not be very popular but "I just can't keep me gob shut" as my mum used to say. To be fair they accept animals which would have no other option but euthanasia. I'm not familiar with all the do's and don'ts in farming and if I found a sheep or pig or any animal in distress I would (and have) bring it home with me and try to save it's life. (Obviously if I could locate the farmer then I would first).
There, I've said it! Please be gentle with me:eek:

Moomin1

Visit site
Oh dear. Not another 'charity' that breaks the law. There are two very serious offences that I have spotted straight away - the release of an Egyptian Goose and a grey squirrel, both on Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act. These are strict liability offences and punishable with imprisonment they are taken so seriously. As for the grey squirrel - it was injured, and fairly significantly by the looks of the pic - so how they can be 'pleased' and relieved that it 'accidently' (huh hum!) escaped is unbelievable. It will have no doubt got covered in fly strike and died shortly afterwards.:rolleyes:

rhino

Visit site
Oh dear. Not another 'charity' that breaks the law. There are two very serious offences that I have spotted straight away - the release of an Egyptian Goose and a grey squirrel, both on Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act. These are strict liability offences and punishable with imprisonment they are taken so seriously.

They've even filmed themselves illegally releasing :rolleyes: I'm fairly sure this 'sanctuary' are aware what they are doing, so they obviously feel they are above the law.

http://youtu.be/MdHPNctTSgc

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
they are a little evangelical but they do some very good work to expose poor conditions in farms and cruelty at abbatoirs. Some of the stuff that comes through from them is quite distressing but they seem to be a little more proactive that the RSPCA who turn a blind eye to some of the stuff that goes on at their Freedom Food farms. However, the comment on Facebook was ridiculous and probably lost them support from more moderate people. Whatever your thoughts are on the Grand National, wishing death on people is not the way to get your opinion listened to.

Ladydragon

Visit site
I wasn't aware of Hillside until I saw their link to the young shire Hope... Although the more I've read, the more my jaw has dropped...

Moomin1

Visit site
they are a little evangelical but they do some very good work to expose poor conditions in farms and cruelty at abbatoirs. Some of the stuff that comes through from them is quite distressing but they seem to be a little more proactive that the RSPCA who turn a blind eye to some of the stuff that goes on at their Freedom Food farms. However, the comment on Facebook was ridiculous and probably lost them support from more moderate people. Whatever your thoughts are on the Grand National, wishing death on people is not the way to get your opinion listened to.

The RSPCA certainly do not turn a blind eye to what has happened in the freedom food farms. People need to remember that these farms aren't owned by the RSPCA the farms just take on the Freedom Food status and are meant to adhere to the standards. The RSPCA have actually prosecuted the likes that haven't.

It's all very well this 'sanctuary' saving every animal they come across that was intended for slaughter, but come the day when they will have no space or money left to keep such animals, and there will be no doubt more suffering to take place. See it all too often.

rhino

Visit site
I wasn't aware of Hillside until I saw their link to the young shire Hope... Although the more I've read, the more my jaw has dropped...

I've just got to the 'how can the media make entertainment out of the Norwegian massacre; they would be better placed showing coverage of the horrors endured in slaughterhouses' post.

Angry doesn't cover it.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I got to this one

NEWSFLASH - Hillside is disappointed to learn that POTTERS LEISURE CENTRE at Hopton on Sea near Gt Yarmouth, is hosting a conference for HUNTINGDON LIFE SCIENCES who carry out cruel and unnecessary experiments on innocent animals!!!!!!!!!

and totally gave up! :rolleyes:

Ladydragon

Visit site
I've just got to the 'how can the media make entertainment out of the Norwegian massacre; they would be better placed showing coverage of the horrors endured in slaughterhouses' post.

Angry doesn't cover it.

I got to that one and my brain nearly melted... There were so many youngsters involved in that - but hey, it can be used to swing another slant on meat eating...

TFC would kick my backside into touch very quickly if I stated my thoughts... :mad:

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
It's the lady who founded Redwings. They're not a charity but a registered company, I understand (presumably as they wouldn't be able to campaign as they do if they were a charity).

Last edited:

Moomin1

Visit site
Mmm on closer inspection of Hillside's website it appears they sued Bernard Matthews - not for the abuse of the turkeys that were mistreated - but because Bernard Matthews had one of the main Hillside member's cars bugged!! Mmm now isn't that dedication to animal welfare and justice?!! Shame the money wasn't better spent on a prosecution.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Do you ever relent from nitpicking Moomin's posts? It's getting rather tedious.

but amymay does have a valid point, so why not state it??? on investigation of the rspca and freedom foods many of the chicken houses that claimed to have happy hens infact revelled chooks in worse condition than the old style free range units, or even battery sheds, not to mention a very high death rate.

and you want to pay more for your eggs still? TBH its a bloody shame the RSPCA could of been prosocuted over it, but then who prosocutes the prosocuters?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Do you ever relent from nitpicking Moomin's posts? It's getting rather tedious.

Ah, the perils of posting inaccuracies on a public forum..........

The RSPCA certainly do not turn a blind eye to what has happened in the freedom food farms.

When in fact they do. There is quite a high profile case at the moment involving a red tractor pig farm. The RSPCA have no interest in taking any action against the owners of this farm, nor it's employers who have perpetrated the most awful acts of cruelty against it's pigs. This is just one situation.

Stick up for an organisation by all means - but do it from a point of know what your talking about.......

Last edited:

Moomin1

Visit site
but amymay does have a valid point, so why not state it??? on investigation of the rspca and freedom foods many of the chicken houses that claimed to have happy hens infact revelled chooks in worse condition than the old style free range units, or even battery sheds, not to mention a very high death rate.

and you want to pay more for your eggs still? TBH its a bloody shame the RSPCA could of been prosocuted over it, but then who prosocutes the prosocuters?

I'm afraid they couldn't actually -the farms do not belong to them.

Animal Welfare Act 2006 states that anybody who caused unnecessary suffering to an commonly domesticated animal in the UK which is under THEIR control is guilty of an offence.

Similarly it also states that anybody who allows someone to cause unnecessary suffering to a commonly domesticated animal in the UK for which THEY are responsible for (ie owner) then they are guilty of an offence.

The RSPCA do not own or take daily responsibility for those animals therefore they are not guilty of an offence. It would be like saying that a vet is responsible for causing unnecessary suffering if they perform an operation which needs a lot of after care but the owner then doesn't provide the after care and the animal suffers - it is the owner's responsibility - not the vet's.

..Anyway - I think everyone is losing sight of the real subject here are they not?

Moomin1

Visit site
Ah, the perils of posting inaccuracies on a public forum..........

When in fact they do. There is quite a high profile case at the moment involving a red tractor pig farm. The RSPCA have no interest in taking any action against the owners of this farm, nor it's employers who have perpetrated the most awful acts of cruelty against it's pigs. This is just one situation.

Stick up for an organisation by all means - but do it from a point of know what your talking about.......

I really have no interest in your points of view Amymay. I get fed up of your constant following me around and sniping.

competitiondiva

Visit site
TBH its a bloody shame the RSPCA could of been prosocuted over it, but then who prosocutes the prosocuters?

The freedom food badge is something that farmers sign up to, they are not owned or run by RSPCA, if there was animal welfare issues at individual farms then it is the farmer that is responsible, not a badge? What your saying is that 'red tractor' should be prosecuted for the farms under their banner that have animal welfare issues too......???

If however you are stating that the standards set by the freedom food badge causes suffering then I would have expected to see or heard of suffering at every single freedom food farm???? Is this the case????