Hind Gut Supplements and Acidosis

Anni_101

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have a TB who is showing signs of girthiness, doesn't like being touched by his flanks (will turn and tries to bite out), lost condition and alot of weight. He has previously had ulcers (diagnosed and scoped) so had been treated with GG, so am looking at starting that up again. However, I feel that this maybe Acidosis and hind gut issues, so I've been looking at Equishure and TB GutRestore. I'm hoping this will reduce any acid in his hind gut and restore the ph levels. I want to know peoples thoughts on the two products and whether they have experienced something simlar.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I found pink mash to be something of a wonderfix for mine. Its got a full dose of protexin in it, but that didnt seem to work as well on its own. He had that and grass chaff plus rice bran oil products if he needed any more calories.

Tori21

Visit site
following, I have been wondering if one of mine has hind gut issues (we are currently on gastroguard) I was recommended to use yea sacc. I have just bought a D&H supplement so I will try & see if any effect. If not it will be more vets bills !

paddy555

Visit site
I have used equishure for a long time for a horse with potential hind gut problems. It makes a lot of difference and I wouldn't be without it. It works quickly and, if you try it, you should see a difference within a couple of weeks (max) if it is going to work.

SEL

Visit site
Both Equishure and TB gut restore are great products and I've used both. I make sure never to run out of Equishure because it is my go-to supplement when she starts getting twitchy.

BBP

Visit site
Equishure did brilliant things for mine, went from shuffley and tight behind to really moving forwards and freely in 3 days (having treated and scoped clear of gastric ulcers but still struggling to move forwards). I keep him on a small amount all year now and really rate it.

Nari

Visit site
I've never used TB Gut Restore, but I had fantastic results from Equishure and would strongly recommend it.

Scarlett

Visit site
I found pink mash to be something of a wonderfix for mine. Its got a full dose of protexin in it, but that didnt seem to work as well on its own. He had that and grass chaff plus rice bran oil products if he needed any more calories.

Exactly this.

I have a horse who was diagnosed a few years ago with inflammatory bowel disease. He showed all the signs of HGA to we treated with Equishure and started pink mash when it came out. Gut is mostly fine now. Tried taking him off Equishure and he gradually regressed. Horse gets limited grass during the flushes as he gets low grade lami.

Pink mash contains soya hulls which are an excellent source of fibre and there have been studies done in the US that show they help to stabilise the ph in the gut.

I feed Equishure with Science Supplement gut balancer. The SS balancer has the highest concentration of protected yeast and high levels of pro and pre-biotics which should help to keep the hind gut healthy.

Mine is also TB and I feed pink mash with either Keyplus (also from Keyflow) or D&H ERS pellets and this seems to be the perfect combo! :)

Reactions: TPO

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I have used equishure for a long time for a horse with potential hind gut problems. It makes a lot of difference and I wouldn't be without it. It works quickly and, if you try it, you should see a difference within a couple of weeks (max) if it is going to work.

if I started Equishure Tuesday morning, when is reasonable to hope to see a difference if it’s going to make a difference? He’s having a scoop am and pm.

I was thinking 3-4 days is that reasonable?

Thanks