Hind leg conformation - problem?

Skips11

Visit site
I am looking at a horse (post lockdown), however I have concerns about her off side hind leg being turned outwards.
I’m unsure whether this is an issue at all as it doesn’t seem to be apparent when she moves, so perhaps she was just standing like that in the pictures. I don’t know how to attach videos of her walking and trotting up, but it looks straight as a die when she’s moving. She is 4 and I plan to just have a bit of fun with her and low level event (BE80/90), so she doesn’t need to be a world beater, to but obviously want to avoid problems later on if they are likely to arise.
If this isn’t just how she is standing for the pictures, is this likely to pose an issue for what I would want to do with her? Any comments/advice good or bad would be much appreciated.

*she will be vetted if I do decide to buy her!5C03FB08-1020-4A3D-82FB-1C78D692BE6E.jpeg5782F8A2-E68F-4F99-9B84-A17BB47C353F.jpeg

Goldenstar

Visit site
She also has asymmetrical muscle development I would not buy her .
It might be nowt but there’s no reason to take the risk .
If you do decide to get her vetted you want a really good experienced vet to do the vetting .

be positive

Visit site
I would be more concerned with her front limbs not being straight, but she is also unlevel behind if you look at her hips and also different muscle development on the quarters, she is not stood square but to me that is more than just a poor photo, just seen GS has said much the same.

Skips11

Visit site
Thank you!

Very easy not to notice these things when blinkered by the fact that she's otherwise lovely!

I forgot to mention that she is an ex racehorse, having last run at the end of January this year. Could this be a factor in the uneven muscle development from being one sided, or is this more than that?

Reactions: TPO

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Hmm. My ex racer that came direct from the trainer was unevenly muscled and quite squiffy behind but his legs were at least straight. My horse budget is usually between £0 and £1 so I'm often taking a punt on the odd bods and I know that corrective work will sort them out quite a bit but I wouldn't choose one with a leg that didn't match the rest :confused:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Thank you!

Very easy not to notice these things when blinkered by the fact that she's otherwise lovely!

I forgot to mention that she is an ex racehorse, having last run at the end of January this year. Could this be a factor in the uneven muscle development from being one sided, or is this more than that?

You would need a crystal ball to answer that question and the thing is you don’t need to go there .
Here’s some questions to ask your self .
Do you truly have the experience to develop that horse correctly .
Do you have the faculties and the time .
Can you afford to pour money into the diagnostics and physio ( in the case of physio I would say will need ) that horse may need when you can just as easily look for another .
I am assuming shes cheap there’s a reason such horses are it’s because very often they are money pits .

Skips11

Visit site
She is up for 2k, so yes she is cheap, but not cheap enough for these issues in my eyes!

A shame :(

Reactions: TPO

conniegirl

Visit site
Id expect to pay meat money for one straight off the track, less than £500 for certain and then I’d expect to have to turn it away for 6 months before starting to retrain it

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
She is up for 2k, so yes she is cheap, but not cheap enough for these issues in my eyes!

A shame :(

That is WAY overpriced for a squiffy ex racer newly out of training. You have made a wise choice to walk away.

stephanieekd

New User
Visit site
my 4yo bum looked just liked this when he came straight off the track, lots of work later to get the muscles working correctly, it is starting to fill out but takes time and they are still young. I was given mine for nothing because he was rubbish at racing. Look at the racehorse rehoming charities, hereos, or goldophin rehoming, racehorse sanctuary, cheveral house racehorse rehoming etc they only ask from about £150-£500 as a rehoming fee.