Hip replacement-how soon did you ride and get back to normal?

LD&S

Visit site
I don't ride often but would like to think I still could if I wanted too, also wondered how long before you regained full strength and movement in the joint.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I rode between five and six weeks after the OP .
I do everything I did before but not at the level I did before however than driven more by my leg break than the hip.
How much movement is possible depends on the type of implant you have .
I have a ceramic one with larger head than many that gives me more movement but it's still less than my own hip of course it depends how much movement in the hip is normal for you.
It's not a big deal the OP ,the complication rate in younger people is low but does exist my brother sadly is one but I won't tell you about that because it's highly unlikely that you fall into that unlucky group.
It does hurt when they get you up after the operation but by the evening after the operation I was showering with out help and walking up and down the corridors with sticks very happily .
Mine was done privately to allow me have have the implant the surgeon felt was best for me .
It's given me my life back .

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I rode after 3 months mainly because my horse is a bit of a nutter and I wasn't confident that I would be ok with her mucking about. I did go to a riding school and rode a couple of theirs first just so I knew I was comfortable before getting on mine. if you haven't had your op I would recommend you DONT have Birmingham hip resurfacing if you are female. I did and it went wrong and I have had to have revision surgery..i have since investigated and its now not recommended for females or small men but some surgeons are still doing them.

LD&S

Visit site
Goldenstar I don't think I'd be as brave as you but glad to see both you and Splashgirl are both riding, I had the op 4 weeks ago but picked up an infection in the wound (not stapled properly) and also a virus which knocked me back about a week, not due to see the surgeon for 2 weeks but they don't seem very forthcoming with information though I know it's not a ceramic implant.
I really struggled to do up my shoe prior to the op and was wondering if I'd be able to afterwards but don't want to try just yet in case it pops out.

Last edited:

madlady

Visit site
OP at 4 weeks post op you should be doing no more than a 90 angle through your hip as the ligaments will still be 'loose'.

My hubby was onto 1 crutch at 6 weeks and driving again but it was a few weeks after that before he was doing more normal stuff such as mucking out :) He did have to have both done though so after the first one he was still in lots of pain - he recovered much quicker from the 2nd one.

LD&S

Visit site
Madlady it couldn't have been easy recovering from the first op whilst waiting for the second one but glad to hear your OH did better with the 2nd op, most of the time now I'm only using crutches if I'm walking a bit of a distance so far the most I've done is 2 x 1/2 mile, my horses live out and OH has been off as I can't get to the field until I get the all clear to drive though I do potter round the field have wormed them this week picked their feet given them a good brush, filled hay and straw nets and mixed feeds etc but I do need to work on strength and stamina but as the leg was very weak before hand I think it's going to be an uphill battle.

Ceriann

Visit site
Broke my hip in November 2014, tried to pin it, didn't work so had a replacement in October 2015. Didn't ride in between ops but rode on 30 Dec 2015 (about 11 weeks post op). I now ride about 4/5 times a week but short sessions as mare only recently backed. My leg isn't as strong but that's due to the 14 months of muscle wastage as much as anything else. I walk a lot and do my Physio. I want the best movement I can get out of it. Stretch before and after riding - it helps!

Get on when you're ready but don't let it limit your life!

gothdolly

Visit site
My mum had a "mini hip" replacement 6 weeks ago and just started driving locally and using one crutch. Shes walking her dog for 1 mile a day, using the exercise bike and elliptical trainer for a couple of minutes and will start to groom her horse/light yard duties after this weekend. Good luck in your recovery. I was really worried about mum but it has completely wiped out all her pain, she could hardly walk round the house before without crying, its been definately the right thing to do.

QuantockHills

Visit site
I had my left hip replaced 3 years ago, at 41 years old and my right hip replaced the year after (arthritis). I rode 8 weeks after the first one but didn't feel very confident.... when I had my check up, the physios were very cross so i waited for 12 weeks after the second one... I felt much more confident as my muscles had longer to heal and I had more strength. I'm back to be able to ride for several hours and jump again, whereas before my op, I had trouble walking and couldn't even sit in the saddle properly.... have it done if you need it, you wont regret it. Mine are ceramic by the way and were both done on the NHS.