Hip Replacement

fizzer

Visit site
Hi my mother is having her hips replaced and she is worried about returning to riding. Any advice from anyone that has had this operation and how did they get on riding afterwards.

Keen

Visit site
I'm not in the same situation, but I do vaguely remember that side saddle was a possibility for people post hip-ops.

I would be very interested in what you find out, owing to a family member who is in the same boat.

glamourpuss

Visit site
It is fully possible to return to riding post operativel & not just side saddle. It is important that your mum discusses with her surgeon about her wishes to ride before the operation as he may be able to use a stem & cup (implant) more suited to riding.
The most dangerous part is actuall mounting & dismounting as it puts you at risk of dislocation, but again this can be helped.

Stacey6897

Visit site
I haven't had a hip replacement, but I did have a hip operation years ago, I have a bit of an issue going from a shire to a TB but after seeing Lee Pearson at Wembley, it's a non issue!

Muscle memory is a wonderful thing, and someone who rides regularly will be much fitter and better able to cope with a hip op than most

fizzer

Visit site
Thankyou for your replies. Mother has discussed everything with her DR, he was more concerned about the dismounting and the fact a fall could be very dangerous. Being the strong minded person she is nothing will stop her.

She is very fit and agile otherwise so I am just trying to collect as much information for her and hopefully she will be able to enjoy riding again without being in agony.

Miss-rose

Visit site
My mum who's only 52 had both her hips replaced 8 wks ago and she's now walking without sticks most of the time. She's discussed returning to riding with her surgen and he says as long as she doesn't take any silly risks she should be able to return to riding in about a year. I'm still amazed that she's up and walking lol

LOZHUG

Visit site
Hi hope your mum's op goes well. My mum had her 3rd hip this year she had 2 done 6 weeks apart 10 years ago. I don't have much advice with regards to riding sorry as she doesn't ride anymore, I have offered for her to ride a safe sane horse but she says she wouldn't be able to do it - not sure if this is because she is scared of doing damage to them though. (she is only 59 and has had 3 hips).

Hope your mums op goes well and she gets back in the saddle soon!

fairhill

Visit site
My mum had her left hip replaced 3 years ago, and stopped riding after the replacement. Her surgeon did not recommend riding. It depends on what sort of replacement your mum has as well as which leg.
My mum's was uncemented, and a full replacement. It is the twisting when mounting/dismounting that has put my mum off, along with struggling to support her body weight in the stirrup when mounting.

She decided it was not worth the risk of needing another replacement, or causing any damage to it.

However, I do know of a number of people who have had cemented or partial replacements of the hip, and who are still riding, dressaging and hunting. It very much depends on the individual :)

Hope your mum's operation goes well.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
friend of mine had her hip replaced mid july this year and was back in the saddle by the end of september! of course her consultant told her not to but as she works at a livery/stud farm and owns her own horse she wasn't going to take his advice lol, ;)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have had 2 birmingham hip resurfacing ops and riding has not been a problem. before the ops i could hardly sit in the saddle for 10 mins at walk it was so painful, now its brilliant, i can ride for as long as i like with NO PAIN!!!!!
i think some surgeons are a bit cautious, but mine said that riding was fine as long as it was something i had been doing before, he said he wouldnt want someone who had never ridden before to start after hip surgery...i am 65 so no spring chicken...i also completely look after my horse and walk miles with my dogs so all positive....:D:D

karenb

Visit site
I had a hip replacement 18 months ago and was back riding 19 weeks later. Last year I did a 100 mile trail ride on my wide ID so my new hip gets tested pretty thoroughly !

After talking with my consultant I had a large ball and socket fitted for maximum movement.
Your mom must do the physio, very boring but it's crucial to recovery. You have to assess the risk of a fall and a dislocation which is very very painful so I choose not to jump anything terribly big.

I have to say that I'm not sure about side saddle. It would put a lot of strain on the hip with the bent leg just where you don't want it and the stirrup leg would only be in a similar position to astride.

PM me if you want any more info but tell your mom that she can look forward to pain free riding