Hiring horseboxes vs owning

Laura2408

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has gone from a lorry/trailer to hot having one at all.

I haven’t used mine at all for 6 months due to a loss of confidence and lack of finances. I also don’t like going everywhere alone!
The box has had lots of problems due to it standing too much.

Thinking of selling but I’m a bit worried that I will regret it.
How much does it cost to hire these days?
How often do you manage to get out of you do hire?

I also thought about hiring mine out just to get it used more, is this more hassle than it’s worth?

ihatework

Visit site
I’m probably not far off making that choice, I’ve gone from running a 7.5T PRB when I was out competing lots, to now cost cutting with a trailer which got used loads last year on short little trips, but is getting used minimally now - only ad hoc when not enough room in the yard lorries.
I think when my car needs replacing I will get something smaller and sell the trailer.

Financially it makes sense.
For my situation it makes sense as well, I’m not sure I’d be so keen if I didn’t have readily accessible access to emergency transport or if I was still half thinking of being out and about myself.

I’m lucky as local to me is a 3.5t Horsebox hire. Top of the range ones. £60 half day £110 full day and they do deals if you buy hires in bulk. It sounds a lot when you are handing over the money just for a low key trip, but actually when you add up what it keeps to keep a vehicle on the road it’s a no brainer

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I did it sold my little 3.5 ton lorry it was getting old and the parts were really hard to get hold of, I was hardly using it and it became a nesting place for the robins at one point, I just hire a lovely 2 year old lorry now if I go out now which isn't that often, if I find I get the showing bug again I would probably invest in another but for now it doesn't make financial sense.

V&F

Visit site
I sold my 3.5t around 4 years ago, I lost confidence to drive it (after a wheel bearing blew up on the motorway) and plus needed the money towards a house deposit.

Must admit for a few years I didn’t really miss it, although I rent a lorry now once or twice a month during the summer time.

It’s costs £120 per day on a weekend and any fuel you use (also £250 refundable deposit).

I’d love another but I’d only be able to afford an older type, then there’s the worry of repairs, tax, insurance, mot etc

I’m finding it actually more cost effective just to hire, Plus it’s a lovely newish box with all the fancy stuff 😊

Polos

Visit site
I regularly hire an oakley supersport 2. £99 per week day and £125 per weekend day. Deposit is £25. The lady we hire from is lovely and works to keep the costs down as much as possible for us as we use her regularly. We have hired it for 6 days in June which is going to be quite pricey and makes the total cost of the show just over 1k so yes it really can add to show costs if you are doing stay aways so we are toying with the idea of buying ou

Equi

Visit site
I couldnt live without my own trailer, but i would hesitate to have a box as i just would not get the use out of it. Have you considered a trailer?

Laura2408

Visit site
Spent most of the afternoon taking photos of my lorry ready to list. Then deciding against it and going backwards and forwards.

I’ve really lost my riding confidence and don’t really fancy competing at the moment.

I have worked out the lorry costs about £100 per month to keep, so maybe one hire. I haven’t used it for 6 months but then again last year competed 2-3 times per month.

I really really hate towing so that’s no good. Plus I have a tiny car and do lots of motorway miles for work so don’t fancy another trailer.

Hard one!

Equi

Visit site
Could you possibly sell it and keep the money in a pot you are not allowed to touch, then if you get back the bug to get out and about you can pick up another?

TPO

Visit site
I'm sort of the same as you. I bought a 3.5t last August but I've barely used it and have zero motivation for going out and about currently.

My dad just got a 4x4 again so my plan was to sell 3.5t and just get a trailer just to have in case I suddenly want to do things or there is an emergency.

However like you I dont really want to tow. I've also been rudely reminded of how awful people are to deal with. I've been bombarded with messages asking questions about things that are clearly stated in the advert. I've had people hounding me to come and view it and then haven't shown up and disappeared off the face of the earth. My box is 51 plate and priced accordingly; its 100% sound. I had it straight to a lorry mechanic/builder to get the floor triple checked and reinforced and had various other pieces done to it as no way was "The Precious One" getting into anything that wasn't completely ok. I've still had people complain about a touch of rust or one mechanic came out for a potential buyer and said he was going to advise her against buying it because "it might need a bit of work in 2 or 3 years". Really?

So yeah after all that I think I've decided to keep it and not have to interact with people or tow!!

Boulty

Visit site
I sold mine at the start of the year as it had been stood there being unused due to pony not being able to be ridden & also said pony is now on expensive full livery & paying for that & the box was crippling me. Also it broke down & I just couldn't justify fixing it myself when I was trying to sell it so off it popped to a dealer to be sold (had it NOT broke I'd've got more privately but this way I didn't have to stump up the money to fix it out of my pocket, someone else took that risk for me)

On the downside it was a very convenient place to store a wide variety of things (including all my TREC gear for staying away, spare buckets & assorted general rubbish!) & it is also very convenient to have it there ready & waiting should any surprise vet visits crop up. There is also the familiarity of driving your own vehicle & not having to move the seat about & of course you can practice loading & get your horse reasonably happy with that particular lorry.

On the plus side my finances look a lot healthier.

I still can't ride the horse at the moment so vet visits aside it hasn't really hit me yet. If he does come rideable again I can probably afford 1 outing a month (& the odd special occasion in addition), more if I can share a lift with someone.

Bernster

Visit site
I really like having transport so I haven't been without wheels since I bought my first lorry. I think it depends partly on whether you’d be able to get another if/when you wanted to, and how easy it is near you to hire.

Unless you go out a lot, it’s generally cheaper to hire. Just not as convenient.

As for confidence, could you travel to places to lessons and clinics or confidence camps - that might help your confidence and use your lorry at the same time. Even non ridden in hand stuff might help keep you both active?