Historic Inn bans Hunt meets.

little_critter

Visit site
I’m not surprised the hunt didn’t buy drinks there. The last time we visited it was very naff. (Think Du Maurier themed canteen)

Wishfilly

Visit site
I’m not surprised the hunt didn’t buy drinks there. The last time we visited it was very naff. (Think Du Maurier themed canteen)

If they expect the pub to host them, especially as their presence discourages other customers, is it not polite to spend a bit of money with the pub? Hunts don't have a right to access to private property, and they offer no benefit to the pub so surely they've got to provide a bit of a benefit for those who host them, regardless of what they actually think of the pub?

It doesn't actually take that much for landowners to remove their support from a hunt, necessarily, and I think hunts need to be really careful that they don't act in a way that's seen as dangerous or anti-social by those who host them (thinking of another hunt in Cornwall that has lost access to a lot of land this season due to some incidents last season).

maggiestar

Visit site
Slightly off topic but I stayed there once in search of the Beast of Bodmin. Didn't find anything though! Regarding the hunt, I think it's a shame that the tradition has ended but I can see the pub's point of view. It must have been more hassle than than it was worth, especially if they weren't spending anything

little_critter

Visit site
If they expect the pub to host them, especially as their presence discourages other customers, is it not polite to spend a bit of money with the pub? Hunts don't have a right to access to private property, and they offer no benefit to the pub so surely they've got to provide a bit of a benefit for those who host them, regardless of what they actually think of the pub?

It doesn't actually take that much for landowners to remove their support from a hunt, necessarily, and I think hunts need to be really careful that they don't act in a way that's seen as dangerous or anti-social by those who host them (thinking of another hunt in Cornwall that has lost access to a lot of land this season due to some incidents last season).
My comment was rather tongue in cheek. Yes, I agree that if there is nothing in it for the pub then no wonder they would rather not have the hassle of a load of riders and hounds rocking up.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
We have always lost money because some people won't come here because of the association with hunts. There are no pluses, all we get is minuses. They never spent any money here - they never came in.

Having hunted a lot from pub meets I think this statement might mean "they don't spend any money here or come in at any other time, and others who would spend money here all year round are being put off coming here because of the hunting link".

It would surely be the first hunt in history, otherwise, where the followers didn’t buy a drink at the bar before mounting up?

My experiences are of locals being crowded out of their own pub by the hunt folllowers, every meet.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Assuming that these pics (put up on FB by antis) are correct, then the hunt vehicles parked in the Jamaica Inn car park prior to the meet. It beggars belief that the hunts involved didn't think to spend some money in the pub as a thank you...

AFFCB022-CACC-4D45-BD94-785CB971D69C.jpeg

95298102-B1CB-4FC3-ADA6-80E400F1E3F3.jpegPutting pressure on venues which have historically hosted hunt meets is a very effective anti tactic.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Having hunted a lot from pub meets I think this statement might mean "they don't spend any money here or come in at any other time, and others who would spend money here all year round are being put off coming here because of the hunting link".

It would surely be the first hunt in history, otherwise, where the followers didn’t buy a drink at the bar before mounting up?

My experiences are of locals being crowded out of their own pub by the hunt folllowers, every meet.

There are also reports of hunt followers drunk driving, which is slightly contradictory with the idea of no-one buying anything at the bar- unless they drank their own alcohol in the car park, which would be beyond rude.

But regardless, the landlords has decided that hosting the hunt no longer makes business sense.

I think Cornish hunts have taken things for granted for a long time, and events last season, not relating to the East Cornwall, have caused a real change in attitude, so all Cornish hunts now need to be very careful.

Clodagh

Visit site
I work at a pub which hosts the hunt. The pub supplied a lot of port and whisky punch and roast potatoes and so on. No one came in and bought anything.
When we hunted in Essex, back in the legal days, hunt followers would have been crowding the bar.
It’s discourteous to your hosts to not even buy a drink.