History of bridles.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes, quite interesting. There isn't a lot published on bridles and bits, but there is a wealth of illustrations and extant examples, as well as contemporary writings particularly from the 14c onwards.

spookypony

Visit site
I recall a painting in a museum, maybe 14th c. but possibly 15th, that appeared to show a Pelham sort of set-up. I'll see if I can find the image!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Looks like bling isn't a new fashion.

Definitely not!!! There are reports of war horses with rubies and pearls sewn on to their bridles and caparisons (saddle blankets), and the 17c was a riot of baroque and rococo decoration on every available piece of a horse's equipment. I particularly like the finds from the Altai horse burials; very early and very elaborate.

Mule

Visit site
Definitely not!!! There are reports of war horses with rubies and pearls sewn on to their bridles and caparisons (saddle blankets), and the 17c was a riot of baroque and rococo decoration on every available piece of a horse's equipment. I particularly like the finds from the Altai horse burials; very early and very elaborate.
The bridles and saddle pads must have been the spoils of war of the age.