Hitch lock for ifor williams trailer

WestCoast

Visit site
So I finally accepted that a horse box wasn't going to be practical and have bought a shogun and a hb511 which I am picking up in a couple of weeks after I've had a bit of towing training.

As per title I need a hitch lock that will go on hitched and unhitched. What are people using and how do they find them?

blitznbobs

Visit site
Our insurance insists on a bulldog wheel clamp - so that's what we use. It has an inbuilt hitch lock which comes with the trailer....

HTH
Blitz

WestCoast

Visit site
Thanks. I've ordered a wheel clamp with the trailer, but was advised I should hitch lock as well. Suddenly realised how nickable a nice brand new trailer is. Think I might customise it with tasteless murals as well ;).

Shay

Visit site
Paint your postcode - or use those sticky things for wheelie bins - on the roof. Thieves don't often see them and so don't remove them. Murals come off with a bit of scrubbing! You do need a hitch lock - especially if you have a wheel shaped clamp as they can be dragged with the clamp still on. (its much harder if you have the bar style wheel clamp as it digs in.) We use a boot style that fits over the whole hitch. If I can find the make I'll post it.

Proud Wexford Hero

Visit site
Our insurance insists on a bulldog wheel clamp - so that's what we use. It has an inbuilt hitch lock which comes with the trailer....

HTH
Blitz

We have the bulldog wheel clamp, it's fantastic, and has prevented our trailer being stolen so it definitely works. You can get your postcode letters for the roof from farm key I think?

Northern Hare

Visit site
On our Ifor Williams trailer, we have a Bulldog wheel clamp, and also a Bulldog hitch lock. At a yard we were at in the south, the thieves targeted the trailer with just the Bulldog wheel clamp. Also, when you apply the wheel clamp, put it onto one of the rear axle wheels - otherwise, they can apparently raise the trailer up on the hitch and take the front wheels off the ground - and the wheel clamp as well if it's on the front axle.

The other thing, is that if you can personalise your trailer, it is a good thing - decals / stripes of self adhesive reflective tape (off ebay) or postcode in a visible position, then all these will be a deterrent. I was once advised by a crime prevention officer visiting farms that thieves presented with a row of identical Ifor Williams trailers at a farm or livery yard will go for the unmodified trailers - ie. the ones that are the most difficult to quickly identify.

The wheel clamp and the hitch lock do take a couple of minutes extra to take off and apply, but it's well worth it - I am always amazed at the number of Ifor Williams Trailers that are left stored without any secondary security - just the lock on the actual hitch.

Finally, carry a small can of WD40 with the trailer, and keep the wheel clamp and hitch lock oiled and they'll be much easier to use.

Highlands

Visit site
Thanks. I've ordered a wheel clamp with the trailer, but was advised I should hitch lock as well. Suddenly realised how nickable a nice brand new trailer is. Think I might customise it with tasteless murals as well ;).

Joking apart I did! Go to a sign place and get them to make stick able postcode on top of trailer roof ( about 15 quid). I stencilled some designs on my panels.

Achinghips

Visit site
I have a Hitchlock and and the blummin thing bolted into the ground with chains ! Cover it with an old piece of mouldy tarpaulin too so it looks cr@p to potential thieves :)

JillA

Visit site
Mine is security marked, and clearly and distinctly labelled as such - got that system from Horsewatch and also got some Smartwater from the police CPO.
Different towbars require different hitchlocks, Ifor Williams told me which one and supplied mine. No problems so far although mine is an older model so not as thievable, and my place is overlooked on all sides by neighbouring houses. Good luck with yours

JPJPJP

Visit site
I have just ordered a hitch lock for my trailer. If it is as good as the maker claims, I will post a short review. If it isn't as good as the maker claims, it will be going back!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I have the stronghold hitch lock and wheel clamp. Definitely make sure that you regularly clean (WD40) and grease the locks as they can be a b*gger to get undone otherwise! My IW511 is data tagged as well, I keep meaning to do the postcode thing too. Enjoy your new trailer!

Highlands

Visit site
Defo vinyl sign stuff, I had on our trailer if the following trailer us not bring towed by MB53***, please consider if stolen and call the police.

case895

Visit site
My hitch and wheel locks are SAS (Safe and Secure). Its parked next to my barn under its own CCTV camera as well and is blocked in by the muck trailer.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I have a hitch lock you can have just for post costs... It's a yellow one it fits the ball socket and has two keys if you eBay it it's the only one that's bright yellow. It won't fit my caravan. You can have it if you want..