hmm, an interesting update for those who are not sick to death of my posts!

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
well under vets advice i've been slowly upping the bute intake to see if we notice a difference. we did do a bute trial in the early days but didnt notice a difference and maybe on hindsight i didnt do it for long enough.
Anyways, he's now up to 2 bute a day, one in morning and one in evening, and, oh my goodness there is a difference at 2 bute a day!! i had to BRIDLE the bugger to take him back out to the field today. he was absolutely full of it, went charging back off up the field to his friends. ridden wise, huge improvement, still dragging a back toe a bit but so much more forward going. litelally bounced along our little hack today. had one of those moments when had to do lots of patting and breathing as he was close to exploding! down the slope bit was also a big improvement, although still a little odd walking down the slope but at least managed it in a straight line. has been like this for 2 days in a row now so know its not just a one off.
left a message for the vet tonight to report my findings..... i really do think its his hock now

cptrayes

Visit site
Great step forward, pun intended! At least you know now that there is pain somewhere and if there is pain it can be stopped, if only with bute.

Do you do affiliated or can you keep him on bute long term if this is not a soft tissue pain???

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Great step forward, pun intended! At least you know now that there is pain somewhere and if there is pain it can be stopped, if only with bute.

Do you do affiliated or can you keep him on bute long term if this is not a soft tissue pain???

we were doing aff dressage and jumping prior to this, however, given the last horrid 12 months and how attached i am to him i'd accept if we could only hack or potter about low level. i have come to accept over the last 12 months it will be unlikely for us to return to the same level as before, but even being hackable is a start!!!!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm so glad that you are finally getting somewhere. :)

He's such a lucky boy to have you, so many people would have given up on him long before now.

cptrayes

Visit site
CFK if it turns out after all this to be his hocks, my horse with bad hocks (but nothing to show for it on xrays, ever) was on bute on and off, sometimes on for months at a time, for over two years but is now (believed) fused and sound and could compete affiliated if his current owner wanted him to. There is light at the end of your tunnel, at last, I think.

Fingers crossed.