Hmmm, overtook field, hounds and master today!

mastermax

Visit site
Well little cob went out again today in his grackle and cheltenham gag after the last few disasterous attempts at braking. As last time, he was a little joggy from trailer to meet but settled beautifully and was very well behaved and there it ends.
He literally just ran through everything and everyone. We had less brakes then when he was in a cavasson and universal bit and that was bad enough!
Not sure where to go from here, have raided the last of my bit collection and have still to try, Tom Thumb and 3 ring dutch gag. Help! any suggestions please. Thanks

lazysunday

Visit site
Been there, done that, suffered the embarrassment!!

Tried everything, only bit that worked was Dr.Bristol. Total respect and only used it the once, he was fine in a snaffle after that.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Waterford gag with cheeks with a controller also called combination / lever noseband .Or an American gag with the controller noseband .
Or a double bridle
Or one of the scary looking Myler bits .

PorkChop

Visit site
First of all, don't worry, it's happened to us all. I would try the Tom Thumb with a curb strap next, then the Dr Bristol. A fair few people hunt with a liverpool driving bit - of course we would all rather not have to bit up but you do need a semblance of control - good luck with the next time, let us know if you have brakes :)

mastermax

Visit site
Thank you for replies. I am taking him to opening meet on Saturday, and may the good lord help us all! Thinking of trying the Tom Thumb with curb strap and hoping to find the controller noseband on internet that may come before the weekend. When Max was alive, my husband hunted him for years in a Tom Thumb, grackle and old flash strap before the leather curb straps became fashionable and it did stop him so fingers crossed.

meesha

Visit site
I find the key is keeping a horse (that doesn't kick) in front of you, don't let your horse see open field and stay at the back with plenty of braking distance before you reach the field master. If you do pick up too much speed and there is room circle. I find tom thumb with grackle better than 3 ring gag, Cheltenham gag or pelham (brakes weren't too bad on pelham but threatened to rear even with little contact) but its trial and error.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Oh no brakes out hunting is horrendous! been there before when the curb strap broke on my pelham :eek: . turned out the pelham wasn't great anyway, cheltenham gag did nothing (with rope cheeks) either, waterford dutch gag did the trick on my ISH and my tank of a mare only likes her kimberwick, doesn't stop in a cheltenham gag or the waterford. All trial and error!

BSL

Visit site
It was a few years back, but the only thing that worked for my mums cob, who we tried all sorts on, was a 3 ring dutch gag and kineton noseband. I don't know whether this combination would be frowned upon by others, but nothing else worked. I tried a Dr Bristol and he ignored it. He totally respected the gag and noseband, and it was lovely to have control without hauling on his mouth the whole time.

Clodagh

Visit site
Meesha - I hope you are not suggesting using another horse as brakes, that is dangerous to all concerned.
I did it once, I had to go home (voluntarily) I was mortified.
Does he put his head down or up? Market harboroughs are great, and can be used with any bit/noseband combo.

meesha

Visit site
No not as brakes but stay behind a horse or group rather than giving horse empty space in front to bog off into. Won't work if your horse runs through others but if it respects their back ends and won't run into them can help. Have also heard people say myler combination good.