Hock arthritis treatments

Pinkvboots

Visit site
What does people mainly do now for low level hock arthritis? My horse last had them medicated about 2 years ago with steroid and I can't remember what else.

I could have them done again but have heard about cartrophen which I have no experience of so would like to know if anyone has used these and how they find them?

I also have to pay for this now as the insurance won't cover treatment now so a rough cost would be helpful, I will speak to my vet but am interested to know of other people's experiences please.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Arthramid gel injections :).

Bit spendier than steroids, but less risky (no lami risk) and much longer lasting. Last ones were circa £720 for a pair. I’ve had gel injections in front coffins plus hocks on one horse, and just in the hocks in another. Very pleased.

ETA Both horses had previously had steroid hock injections, which wore off.

Cartrophen works very well for some horses, but is ineffective on others. It is definitely worth considering. If your vet will give you a prescription to buy the cartrophen on line and inject the horse yourself, that will save money.

Last edited:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
B has just had a course of Cartrophen for low level hock arthritis and I’m pleased with the results. He was struggling to get up and as a result wasn’t laying down as often. Very stiff going down hills and all his dressage comments were ‘isn’t supple enough’ He had 4 injections a week apart and I noticed a difference in him after about the 3rd one, he is far more forward in the school, pushes off on both reins more evenly and is really enjoying his jumping again. He has a review next month and if he needs a top up twice year to keep him comfortable then so be it. He’s only 12 so in theory has many years ahead of him.

Auslander

Visit site
Alf has a Cartrophen jab approx every 10 weeks, and i notice a big difference in him about a week after each one. He usually takes about 10 minutes to loosen up and start striding out, but after his jab, he is on the job from the moment you step away from the mounting block. I@m going to reduce the interval between jabs now, as they work so well for him, and at 23, its worth every penny to still have him enjoying his work

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Both of mine had cartrophen injections. One for hocks, one for a bone chip. The one with the bone chip had really good results for about four years (3 or 4 injections a week apart every six months) then it seemed to stop working as much so we just give him a bute nowadays (it’s expensive if it isn’t working). For my mare’s hocks it really didn’t have much effect, so we only did one course and she now has two Danilon a day. She’s still looking sore this winter, I think this wet windy weather doesn’t help. I’m starting to think it’s nearly her time in winter. ☹️

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Mine has had steroids and cartrophen but neither have had much effect. Having said that it may not be his only issue but if it is I will be asking about gel injections next.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Thanks for posting this, literally came here as going to inject my 19 yo mare as her xmas present :D

She's got some stifle and hock arthritis - she's also on Premier flex HA+ which I think has made a difference too but not crazy amounts.

Widgeon

Visit site
Re costs for cartrophen - mine is going to start a course next week and quoted costs are as follows, per jab:

Callout fee £32
Arthropen vet* 250 per 6ml vial £34
Injection fee £11

That's without VAT so a course of four jabs comes to £308. I know that's relatively expensive but a lot of it is the callout fee, which obviously won't apply if you can travel to vet or your practice has a local no-charge day. Mine is also having tildren at the same time. He is 12 and although he has the most appalling right hock x ray, in reality he is just a bit stiff. Based on the x ray he should be crippled....but he isn't. Thankfully. I can let you know how much of an impact the cartorphen and tildren have, if that would be helpful. Feel free to PM me or post here in a couple of months and that will jog my memory to update.

*I looked this up and Cartrophen and Arthropen are both forms of pentosan polysulfate sodium

ETA - I don't have costs for the tildren yet, but I can tell you what they are when I do, if it helps

Last edited:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Widgeon that is really good, I paid £590 for mine and that was on zone visits which are half the usual call out fee. Each jab was £100 if I remember correctly but it has been worth every penny. He had the physio yesterday and hardly had to have any work done unlike DP who is completely broken and now off games for a month.

Widgeon

Visit site
Widgeon that is really good, I paid £590 for mine

I'm glad it worked for you! That bodes well....I have all my fingers crossed for mine! I think our vet said that this was actually a positive consequence of Brexit* - they can buy another version of the drug from Australia and it's cheaper than the one we were restricted to when we were in the EU. (Please note this is based on my recollections of a throwaway comment by the vet, it may not be 100% accurate but I did think it was interesting). I suspect this means that the cheaper version has only just become available in the UK.

*although let's not discuss that any further, don't want to open that can of worms here or I can see this thread disappearing off down another set of tracks entirely....

Ranyhyn

Visit site
That moment when you say something on a horse forum an instantly regret it :D

Well thanks for your breakdown Widgeon, we are going to administer ourselves so hopefully bring that cost down a little. I havent asked my vet the cost, but its my mares last chance at being ridden so that Vs a few thousand on a new horse well..its positively cheap if you ask me :D