hock fusion - also in vet

kinnygirl1

Visit site
So in a nutshell, Stanley was diagnosed with hock arthritis in both hocks in June and steroids were injected into the joints and a rehab exercise programme begun. 6 weeks post injection, vet very happy with progress and level of work upped. Next week will be 2 months after that and vet is coming out again to see how he's doing. I'm nervous as I'm not sure whether he has progressed from the last check up. He can be quite stiff when he comes out although once warmed up seems to move well (according to instructor). My vet has mentioned hock fusion using ethanol to me before and I wonder if she might suggest this when she sees him next week. Can you tell me your experiences of this please ie, what to expect, what sort of a rehab it is etc.

Many thanks

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I've not direct experience, but didn't want to read and run.

My friend's cob was injected but I din't know what with. He was always stiff comiing out of the stable, but would ease up within a few strides.

Tobiano

Visit site
My horse had an operation on arthritic hocks aged 8 - to fuse them, but they didn't mention ethanol - they may have done that. Anyway he is now 14 and has been sound since (until a suspensory injury this year) though i have given him danilon for its anti inflammatory effect. (I think i am saying the operation can work very well though I am sure it must vary from horse to horse). Good luck :)

kinnygirl1

Visit site
I've not direct experience, but didn't want to read and run.

My friend's cob was injected but I din't know what with. He was always stiff comiing out of the stable, but would ease up within a few strides.
Thank you.... It might have been a steroid your friends horse had which seems to be the first port of call...this has worked well on my boy but I suppose I'm trying to prepare myself for what's to come...I like to be mentally one step ahead lol. X

kinnygirl1

Visit site
My horse had an operation on arthritic hocks aged 8 - to fuse them, but they didn't mention ethanol - they may have done that. Anyway he is now 14 and has been sound since (until a suspensory injury this year) though i have given him danilon for its anti inflammatory effect. (I think i am saying the operation can work very well though I am sure it must vary from horse to horse). Good luck :)

Thanks... That gives me hope! It would just lovely if the poor lad could have a couple of pain free years...the last few he seems to have collected problems! X

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've looked into this several times over the years when injecting with cortisone stopped working properly.
I believe that fusing with ethanol either works and the horse is completely pain free and sound or in some cases it won't work and causes much worse issues. This has put me off trying although I've yet to hear from anyone it hasn't worked for (don't personally know anyone who has done it but from online research!)
I may be totally wrong and am happy to be corrected but think it's a very final make or break choice.