Hock injections - signs your horse needs doing

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Hi, this may have been done before but i am wondering what things you notice with your horse apart from lameness when hocks need reinjecting? Or do you stick to a schedule ie 6/12 monthly injections

Birker2020

Visit site
Hi, this may have been done before but i am wondering what things you notice with your horse apart from lameness when hocks need reinjecting? Or do you stick to a schedule ie 6/12 monthly injections
Originally it was dragging hind toes and toe wear on hinds. Swishing tail. Swapping hind legs in canter especially on short sides of arena. Stopping at jumps.

After steroid injections and Tildren failed to work each time the symptoms were just lameness. In the end hock fusion (chemical not surgical) what followed was an incredible recovery. Never had issues after.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Its been 9 months and horse is sound, has been seen by vet and chiro who say she looks great so basically i can reinject when i decide she needs it.

only thing that makes me query injecting now is slight resistance in canter transition and slightly quarters in in canter, cant seem to get her straight so ill probably ring up and book her in in a few weeks. Excellent in walk & trot and starting to pick up lateral work.

one more question, steroid or Arthramid?

spacefaer

Visit site
My vet advises that the gold standard is to steroid first to reduce any inflammation.then arthramid four weeks later. That's what we've done and it's been very effective.
Steroids were only lasting approx 6 months so we moved onto arthramid which has lasted nearly exactly one year. We've just redone it.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Before diagnosis my cob was sluggish, not going forward and eventually was obviously uncomfortable as would get disunited and run with his mouth open.
We're only a few months post steroid injections and he's looking and feeling so good! But the moment he gets sluggish or feels tight behind ill have the vet out.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’d be very happy to use hock or any other jabs to keep a horse happy in work for as long as possible, as above what’s the alternative?
With mine he would be a tad difficult for the farrier behind, usually he was good as gold and this seemed to be the first sign he was due doing.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Thanks all for replies. Have booked injections with arthramid for 19th August. Most recent steroid has lasted 8 months so not terrible but going to see how she responds to arthramid as its worked well in her coffin joints.
She has started to wear down her toes as now toe dragging down hill out hacking and just feeling flat in the school.