Hock spavin - crisis of confidence!

RaYandFinn

Visit site
Hi everyone,

As some of you my know, my horse Finn was diagnosed with hock spavin about 4 years ago.

Up until this summer he has been in more or less regular work sometimes with the help of some bute.

However I feel like I'm having a crisis of confidence that I'm doing the right thing by him.

Generally when he starts to work, he is downright hoppy, no other word to describe it. After 10-15 mins gentle work on the lunge or free schooling he is virtually sound (I try and warm him up before I ride him). This is with no bute.

My vet came out to see him about a month ago and did a full work up on him. We did a steroid injection (which has helped) and she said ok to work him ensuring he was warned up slowly as to use bute as needed. She was pleased with how sound he came considering how hoppy he started off. Plus she commented on how he obviously loves his work - he still out walks any other horse I know!

I guess I'm just worried that I'm being cruel. I know it's good to keep arthritic horses in light work. But I don't want to be unfair to him.

I was just wondering about other people's experiences. Please no nasty comments... I'm trying to do the best for my boy!

A G&T for all who got this far! :)

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Well mine has a bone spavin in his hock and exercise is good for them and seeing I have the same problem in my hands and legs it's artheritis all said and done, try devils claw for him and several posters on here have helped me out as their horses have the same problem. :)

Madam Min

Visit site
Our old horse had a course of Tildren, worked for him but have heard positives+ negatives. Also put him on Cortaflex. Hope your boy gets sorted :)

RaYandFinn

Visit site
Our old horse had a course of Tildren, worked for him but have heard positives+ negatives. Also put him on Cortaflex. Hope your boy gets sorted :)

Hi

thanks for your reply... Finn had a course of tildren has been on various supplements since he was diagnosed. I guess I was more asking about maintance and everyday work. Do other people keep there horses in work even if they are not 'sound'

Sukistokes2

Visit site
If he is happy in his work then I see no problem. The difference here is your horse has a chronic condition which you are managing well with the continuing help of your vet. The fact you have posted this shows just how much you think about him and what you are doing. It Is not like he has come up lame, you have shoved a couple of butes down him and then ridden his legs off. There are those on here who will have a very different opinion,which of course they are welcome too but I think it sounds like you are doing a good job.
However, sometimes you have to think of yourself too, I have just retired my horse because his foot has rotated slightly and he is uneven even on bute. The vet was happy for me to continue riding but I hated the feel, even while he was totally content to go out, so now he has retired and is happily going feral.

My horse is called fin too, short for muffin so I spell it Ffin. :)

Last edited:

RaYandFinn

Visit site
If he is happy in his work then I see no problem. The difference here is your horse has a chronic condition which you are managing well with the continuing help of your vet. The fact you have posted this shows just how much you think about him and what you are doing. It Is not like he has come up lame, you have shoved a couple of butes down him and then ridden his legs off. There are those on here who will have a very different opinion,which of course they are welcome too but I think it sounds like you are doing a good job.

Thank you. I like to think I do the best I can by him :) I would be mortified if people thought I was being cruel

Pidgeon

Visit site
My boy has had this twice, two lots of cortisteroid jabs and touch wood he's sound. We do everything including XC and jumps up to 4'. If yours is happy carry on.

Auslander

Visit site
Sounds like you're doing the right thing by your boy-I wouldn't worry at all. Alf has spavins, and although he's not hoppy when he starts off, he's a bit slow and lazy til he loosens up. The only thing I do differently from you is getting straight on and walking him down the road, rather than lunging/freeschooling, as he's not allowed to do either! He takes a good 10/15 minutes to be ready to work, and usually announces that he's all warm and loose by having a massive spook, and cantering on the spot!

RaYandFinn

Visit site
Thanks for your comment guys :) I just worry no end about it! I guess if he didn't improve with work it would be a different story.

I just think if he was a

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Op- you could be me! My horse is now on daily Danilon and yes I keep him in light work as I firmly believe it gives him a purpose and makes him happier in himself. (Silly things- he wind sucks less on ridden days!)
There are people who disagree with this subject as there always will be (as I used to) but being in my situation I can honestly say I think keeping them active is best.

Luci07

Visit site
I have 2 friends which arthritic horses whose owners still ride them. Both manage their horses and think carefully about what they do with them and are fine. One still manages the odd 80 on soft ground! You know your horse, you know when he is comfortable so keep going.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I would recommend that you go on facebook and look up the turmeric users group. Some very good information and advice there. My 8 yr old mare has large bone spurs on the front of both hock joints, yet is on no medication, and competing well at Novice BE. I give her turmeric twice a day, and she looks and is going very well. We tried a steroid injection last year, which didn't appear to do anything. I also think correct shoeing is very important. I've switched my mare to Epona shoes, and her movement has improved enormously. Here's a video of her competing last Sun, you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with her! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21kig4hvXOg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The other thing to bear in mind is that arthriticy conditions come and go, obviously they never go but improve from time to time, so don't give up hope either.
My horse was being pts about 4 years ago. I was giving him one last summer as he was so sore. The following winter and 12 months after he was sound (completely!) and in medium work with absolutely no pain killers.
So now when we have a bad patch I let him chill a bit more and support him as much as possible knowing tomorrow may well be a better day.
On the danilon he's pretty good everyday now :)

RaYandFinn

Visit site
I would recommend that you go on facebook and look up the turmeric users group. Some very good information and advice there.

Thanks

That is my next port of call, I am already a member of that group. I had finn on tumeric a couple of months ago, but could only get it down him once a day.

We're moving to a new yard in 2 weeks which is one minute from my house (hurrah) so my plan is to get him back on it twice a day :) and see if he improves.

Do you make the paste or just pop it in her food with the oil and pepper?

RaYandFinn

Visit site
The other thing to bear in mind is that arthriticy conditions come and go, obviously they never go but improve from time to time, so don't give up hope either.

That's a really good point - I think sometimes I'm guilty of being all doom and gloom with him! :)

cundlegreen

Visit site
Thanks

That is my next port of call, I am already a member of that group. I had finn on tumeric a couple of months ago, but could only get it down him once a day.

We're moving to a new yard in 2 weeks which is one minute from my house (hurrah) so my plan is to get him back on it twice a day :) and see if he improves.

Do you make the paste or just pop it in her food with the oil and pepper?
I make the paste, its not so harsh a taste then. Provided its well mixed in I've never had a problem feeding it, and my ancient lurcher has found a new lease of life on the paste!