Hog forelock or not?

Stenners

Visit site
I finally took the plunge to hog my mare last September but have always left her forelock on. I keep thinking I should take it off? It quite suits her and I worry she'd look like a boy!! She's a cob X and I clip her feathers off.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
On:
91fbf639b5923c4f7b862d1e326ba2fb_zpsgvf8wpnk.jpg

Off:
DE8E6546-092F-4F5F-AFF9-C18A4960E300_zpsxsrzsrtp.jpg

I don't think she looks like a boy and don't regret taking it off at all.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If the forelock is hogged, won't you have to be far more aware and considerate of flies especially around the eyes? and if so, how do you tackle it. I've not owned a horse with a hogged mane and forelock.

No more than I usually would be. The flies aren't bad here, particularly as Daisy doesn't live on a grass field and there are no trees near by, but all of mine wear fly masks in the summer anyway.

chillipup

Visit site
No more than I usually would be. The flies aren't bad here, particularly as Daisy doesn't live on a grass field and there are no trees near by, but all of mine wear fly masks in the summer anyway.

Thanks FW, and your girl looks lovely, especially with that pretty browband. In that case I'm going for a 'yes' vote if you think it would suit yours too OP.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I finally took the plunge to hog my mare last September but have always left her forelock on. I keep thinking I should take it off? It quite suits her and I worry she'd look like a boy!! She's a cob X and I clip her feathers off.

I hate the look of hogged manes (unless sweet itch) I say leave forelock on

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Thanks FW, and your girl looks lovely, especially with that pretty browband. In that case I'm going for a 'yes' vote if you think it would suit yours too OP.

Ha ha thanks. One of the reasons I whipped it off was to show off her sparkles ;).

She really hates you bushing her mane / forelock and there is no way you could pull it, even if I wanted to. Even shortening it she gets really upset. However she does not mind being clipped at all, she is a complete poppet at all other times so for me it was a simple decision.

Starzaan

Visit site
I have to say, I really dislike the look of a hogged mane with the forelock left on. It looks half finished to me. Definitely hog it - lovely and smart!

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I only ever had one hogged horse and I left the forelock on to protect him against flies around his eyes. It does look better off, but when it was properly plaited he looked pretty smart and I have to say I thought he looked really cute as well.