Holidays with your horse

dixie

Visit site
Hi, I'm after a bit of market research.
We are looking at a property at the moment which has a holiday rental property. This is directly in front of the lovely arena and next to their stables, so I am thinking of the viability of offering horse holidays (ie bring your own horse) plus also general activity holidays bringing your dogs/bikes etc. Its sandwiched between Bodmin moor and the beach, so should be a good location.
So has anyone been on this sort of thing and what sort of money were you paying?
Are there any website that advertise this so I can have a look to see whats offered etc?

Orangehorse

Visit site
People advertise in the magazine like Your Horse and the BHS magazine. I don't think it is a huge market tbh. People generally don't want to travel more than a couple of hours with their horse in a trailer. The hacking routes need to be really clearly marked on a map with good clear instructions or you offer to guide them. Water troughs should be cleaned out between guests' horses.

Maybe cyclists would be a good market, or do both.

Roxylola

Visit site
I'd consider it, one place offered guided having which I thought looked good.
One thing that put me off is the property allowed dogs, but not at night - I'd happily crate them but if they sleep in the box I might as well sleep in the box with them, and then I'm paying for accommodation I'm not using. So then it seemed a bit pointless really

Sealine

Visit site
I’ve been to Mill Farm in Wells next the sea in Norfolk a couple of times. It’s a campsite within walking distance of the town. You can stay in your lorry with hook up or camp but I’ve stayed in a B&B within walking distance. The current price list shows £19 per horse per night for grazing. Home Farm which is also inNorfolk is a B&B with stables/grazing. Both are very popular and a short hack to fantastic beach riding.

They are both a 2.5hr drive for me and I expect part of their success is they have a large catchment area of people who want to ride on Norfolk’s huge, Sandy beaches and Norfolk has a pretty good road infrastructure. The nearby coast of Suffolk is no good for riding as the beaches are mostly pebble.

I hope that helps.