Hollow tine question for land owners

Achinghips

Visit site
What do you do with the bits that are removed? Leave them there and lightly spring tine Harrow or try and remove them altogether, before top dressing?

Zero00000

Visit site
Never done it but remember conversations that if your top dressing to remove them.
If not top dressing best to solid tine?

But as I say I was just present at a conversation

Achinghips

Visit site
Byes zero you are correct. Just wanted to know if people left the little tubes pulled from the ground or if they gathered them up before top dressing and overseeding

Achinghips

Visit site
I read your post to OH who was an Agricultural Contractor, but he didn't know what you meant.

Spring tine is to remove thatch, like raking. Hollow tine is an implement that removes little duck poo shaped pieces of earth. It is done to aerate compacted soil, such as clay to encourage a better root system before top dressing with whatever you chose to improve soil structure and then overseeding. Little tubes are removed by hollow tining which then sit on top of the grass. Some people gather them up, some don't. I don't think many H and H people hollow tine by the sounds of it ......

Last edited:

lrw0250

Visit site
My OH does it on his golf course to improve the root zone and drainage. If I remember correctly they then cover the tined area in sand and brush it so the sand goes in the holes and the cores are collected by the brush....I think!

Achinghips

Visit site
Sand mixed with peat, yes. Sometimes, seed and fertiliser too ..... I would imagine that the little duck poo pieces of earth would be removed on something like a bowling green or golf course ..

hobo

Visit site
Did not know what you meant but on reading that it leaves little bits of soil on top depending how deep they are from I would clear or roll them in before grazing. Soil can carry lots of different problems, listeria, grass sickness, blackleg ect. So keep horses off until you have rolled and a good grass cover is over them.