Home Alone

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
I've got a 3 yo parsons bitch and love her to bits. Every morning I drop her at Mum's on the way to work so she's not home alone during the day, and pick her up on my way home. Very sadly, Mum is now very ill and at some point soon, will no longer be able to look after Mia. I am obviously upset about my Mum - that goes without saying - but now I'm really worried about my dog being left on my own especially when she's not used to it.

I take her out for a walk every morning for an hour and need to leave for work at 8 am. I can go back to walk her again at 12 noon and spend 40 minutes with her. I then plan to pay a dog walker to go in around 3 pm to walk her for an hour and I will then get home at 6 pm. However, that's Monday to Friday. Is that fair on her ??

Taking her to work is not an option. It might be possible that the dog walker would collect her and have her at her house for the afternoon. I am looking into that possibility.

She is at the age where she sleeps a lot more. Should I look at getting another dog to keep each other company ??? My house is for sale and I couldn't really get another dog until after I have moved as my current neighbours are very anti-dogs !

Thanks for you advice.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Sorry about your mum, the routine you have planned sounds fine, getting another dog dosnt always solve the problem in fact it can make it worse. I think once youve moved you can look at getting another dog because your dog will be in an established routine and probabley more accepting of another dog.

CAYLA

Visit site
I agree with DG, getting another is not always "the solution" with your girl, she sounds like she will be fine on her own and I would certainly see how she goes. If you got another and it turned out to be "more needy" than you girl and you began to have issues, you will be in a worse place.
You come home and give her a toilet break which IMO is perfectly fine given her age, its not like you are leaving a young energetic puppy home all day (which would be unacceptable imo.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Thanks guys to help put my mind slightly more at ease. She does have a dog flap too so she can go out into the garden if she needs a wee.

I'm probably a bit of a worrier ~ just love her to bits and want what's best for her (like everyone on this forum I guess)

Mince Pie

Visit site
It sounds fine to me as well, but I would gradually build up the time she is alone whilst you still can in case there are any SA issues.