Home-made Remedies

Tia

Visit site
This is not a post intended to give people any ideas about treating colic themselves or without the advice of a veterinary surgeon, however I read with interest the way some of us deal with our horses having colic, prior to the vet arriving.

Now as some of you know, I am in a similar boat to Mairi. My vet lives miles away and covers a vast area so isn't available sometimes for many hours and I need to follow his directions to tide the horse over till he arrives.

One of my little horses severely injured herself some months ago. She immediately went into shock and then developed colic. I phoned my vet who was 4 hours away and couldn't get to see her; so I asked him if there was anything I could do to alleviate her symptoms until he arrived. There wasn't a lot we could do for shock, other than to make her comfortable and remain with her and try to keep her alert and "with us".

For the colic, my vet suggested popping down to the local Drugstore and buying some PeptoBismol - I sort of chuckled when he said this, but he said seriously it should help her. He also suggested that I give her some bute and antibiotics, so I mixed the bute and anti-b's in with the PeptoBismol and syringed it orally into her. Well, blow me down, it blooming worked aswell!!

She loved the taste of Pepto, so for the rest of the time she was on anti-b's and bute daily, this was the vehicle I used to get it into her. She lapped it up, until I ran out and then stupidly bought the mint one instead of the regular one......she preferred the original.

Anyway, as said, don't try this at home, but anyone have any other remedies which they swear by now?

GTs

Visit site
The funny thing about colic is people have all these suggestions - the reality is, much like we get painful stomachs that clear themselves, horses regularly get better on their own too! I firmly believe horses colic far more than we know, they just clear up before anyone noticed.

Pepto-Bismal is a well known trick and commonly used for minor upset tummies, and diahrea - gives them big secy pink lips too!!! OH LA LA

The best trick I know is horses who drink out of a well get fussy with the taste of city water - if you add a couple cans of coke to it, it becomes sweet they can not taste the chemicals!!

My other trick is for an abscess - I mix bran, epsom salt, and batadine, and put it in my medicine boot! Cowboys swear by it, but I am not sure how effective if it, or just a feel good for an owner to do something.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
My other trick is for an abscess - I mix bran, epsom salt, and batadine, and put it in my medicine boot! Cowboys swear by it, but I am not sure how effective if it, or just a feel good for an owner to do something.

[/ QUOTE ]
My vet in the UK used to recommend the bran and epsom salts (what's batadine?) and although I never tried it (prefer the ease and convenience of animalintex) she was a very, very good vet so I'm sure she was right
smile.gif

Remedies we use out here; dilute bleach for rainscald/fungal infections, sugar in deep cuts (use fly repellent!), hmmmm, I'm sure there are others... will get thinking...

Fairynuff

Visit site
Lemom juice applied to ringworm patches, copper sulphate mixed with vinegar and packed around frog for thrush, Preperation H for the corners of the mouth if irritated or rubbed by bit..........Know some more but cant remember them for now.
A thing NOT to do with colicing horses........drench him with Coke. It was a fad here for a while and is not recommended. The horse has great difficulty in belching (and throwing up) due to a strong band of muscle called the cardiac sphincter.This muscle prevents backflow from the stomach so to fill the poor begger full of gassy soft drink is the last thing he needs. I swear, a lot of people were doing this here,sometimes with disasterous consequences. Mairi.

Fairynuff

Visit site
I think to get rid of gas build up, you know, a belch will do the trick!!!!!!!!!! Exploding horses everywhere
shocked.gif
. M. Ps, are you first footing tonight?

Dougie

Visit site
ah right. god i can imagine! but shoosh i know a few people who would read and think oh great
smirk.gif
afraid not im stuck at home as no one is going out. glasgow street party also cancelled due to weather.what about you?

Dougie

Visit site
i'l send you some for your christmas!

ah the joys of being the yard 'vet'
grin.gif

oh no virkon is boring...xcept for the fizz, but hibiscrubs thee best....closeley followed by surgical spirit
wink.gif

ThomasTank

Visit site
Alittle bird told me that the flat cokr or lemonade if you are partial is good after the up chucks coz it replaces the lost somethingor others in your system.acts a bit like diarolite i think
grin.gif