Home made rug

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
I bought a 3-in-1 quilt in Lidl for €29.99, it's a lightweight quilt + a medium weight quilt that clip together to make a heavy weight quilt and I'm using it to make rugs for Don. So far I've cut them both to shape ...

lightweightquiltrugMay272009.jpg

I couldn't get him to stand sideways on, he's too nosey!

Next I'm going to dye it - no idea how good the colour will be since the cover has polyester in it and polyester doesn't take dye properly - and take darts in the neck and tail end to get it to fit around him properly ...

smile.gif

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
Thanks
grin.gif
It's not that difficult to do, I used another rug as a template this time (when I made a rug for my pony I didn't and the neck didn't come out right!

I've got it in the machine with some velvet black Dylon dye just now ...

gothdolly

Visit site
Very good
smile.gif
Its very nice to see people taking a sensible "make and mend" attitude to horses as opposed to seeing horse ownership as a massive shopping spree. You would not believe the tack and rugs I have rescued from the bins at our yard. A little time spent mending is well rewarded. And if the rug or tack is unfixable you can always keep leg straps for spares or for making new rugs etc.

I also got a saddle (yes, the tree was sound!) from the bins at our yard. My friend is now using it on her youngster.

Anyway, I digress
smile.gif

You could also consider charity shops for quilts (very very cheap) and if you have any old cotton sheets you could make a very nice summer sheet. A good tip is if you have an army surplus shop near you, visit them for large amounts of Hi-Viz material
smile.gif
I got a huge amount of yellow Hi-Viz for 50p per metre and in one evening had made an entire bridle kit, leg wraps, hat band, arm bands and the next evening made a hi-viz exercise sheet for Dominion.

Keep going - I want to see the finished article
smile.gif

Cassandra

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
[ QUOTE ]
Very good
smile.gif
Its very nice to see people taking a sensible "make and mend" attitude to horses as opposed to seeing horse ownership as a massive shopping spree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! I had to do it 25+ years ago as I stupidly only saved up enough for the pony ad nothing else! (I had enough for the livery bills, but nothing extra, and had to scrape by till it a birthday or Christmas)

I use my club card in the supermarket here, which also has home and hardware dept, so I was able to get sheets etc free from there!

[ QUOTE ]

Keep going - I want to see the finished article
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to put it in the machine with the dye again as a patch in the middle didn't get any dye on - it looks kinda funkeh 70s tie-dyed tho'
grin.gif

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
[ QUOTE ]
prob a good idea to put a lightweight turnout over the top to stop the quilt getting ripped?

[/ QUOTE ]

there's an idea! Although I think he's quite good for not attacking his gear, as long as I can shape the quilt to fit properly, which should hopefully stop it slipping, and I can always get clip on leg straps for it (I have an elasticated surcingle and clip on belly straps already)

I'm now wondering if I can make a fly rug from a net curtain! LOL

daisybe33

Visit site
What about waterproofing it if he lays in wee etc. Mine always seems to find the wettest part of his bed to lay in !!!

Tnavas

Visit site
Brillient idea but suggest don't dye it - unless you can be sure it won't run!

I shall be shopping now for some to put under my winter covers - can't seem to get any covers that are cotton lined these days and the linings burr the ends of the coat so the hair looks fuzzy.

Maybe a dark cover would be good - sew it to the lining to secure it.

gothdolly

Visit site
He should be OK with a fillet string if you have chest fastenings and also a belly strap?

I still have to wait for birthday and christmas for anything other than essentials (feed/livery/vets). If I could go just one month without a vet bill I think things would improve! Im exaggerating slightly but we have had a spate of things recently, (eg. Domino having choke on bank holiday monday!) and the final vet bill for all treatment that didnt work for my old mare who was PTS in December was shocking. The joys of owning ancient veteran horses who are uninsurable for illness...!

I have mesh material thats identical to the masta fly rug, and am making my TB x a fly rug... though I have to admit defeat on the turnout rugs - Im buying him a cheap amigo this week. He drops too much weight without rugs.

If you want leg straps PM me and I will post you some (I take them off my rugs as both my horses have a terrible knack of getting caught up in them.