Home or livery

Porge1

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone. After 20years of being in livery we now have the oppprtuity to bring our two horses home. In livery they are on diy. We have stabling and grazing at home and the horses are semi retired just hacking. The yard we are on has lots of facilities that’s we just don’t use. I’d really appreciate your opinions and experiences on being at home vs livery? It’s a big change and rather daunting decision. Many thanks

be positive

Visit site
The only negative apart from being tied to them with no back up, find a good freelancer or housesitter to allow the odd day off/ away or holiday, is you may need a third if the two you have are unhappy left alone and you want to hack independently, a bit of pre planning and you will not look back.
Mine are at home but it is also a small livery yard I cannot imagine having to get into a car twice a day to see them, when you get used to being able to look out of the window or pop to the stables late at night you will put up with the work that goes with owning your own land.

Fransurrey

Visit site
If you don't use yard facilities, then taking them home is a good option, but do either suffer with separation anxiety? If you always hack together, not a massive issue, but I would consider getting a couple of shetlands/minis so that there's never a lone horse, even if you hack together.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yeah I was a bit lonely when I had mine at home but tbh I am yearning to have that set up again!
The freedom and being able to see them from your house is priceless.
If you aren't using the facilities and can find a way to make sure you aren't caught short with help and supplies then it seems like an obvious choice.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I keep my two at home, and a DIY livery shares the yard.

Works well, but ditto above comments re. finding someone to "do" for you occasionally.

Also, obvious I know, but do bear in mind that you will have to organise all your own maintenance, land-management etc. If you can find a handy local farmer who will help you out with harrowing & rolling and an occasional bit of fencing, plus chuck a few sheep in your field occasionally then that is a real plus! Sheep are IMO an essential item for any DIY keep-at-home'er!.

Also (edited), you may need to think about Yard Security, there's been a lot of thieving going on from equine yards and places where I am (rural Devon), so it might be worth getting a few security firms to come and do a survey and give you some advice. (You don't need to take it!! - get the advice then purchase & install your own if you're so inclined). But TBH, there's nothing like a professional job at the end of the day; and if you've got a professionally installed system and your neighbour hasn't, for instance, then you may be safer and wiser in the long run.

Good luck.

Porge1

New User
Visit site
The only negative apart from being tied to them with no back up, find a good freelancer or housesitter to allow the odd day off/ away or holiday, is you may need a third if the two you have are unhappy left alone and you want to hack independently, a bit of pre planning and you will not look back.
Mine are at home but it is also a small livery yard I cannot imagine having to get into a car twice a day to see them, when you get used to being able to look out of the window or pop to the stables late at night you will put up with the work that goes with owning your own land.
That’s how I felt, just takes a little planning

JoannaC

Visit site
As long as you have good hacking from home then home everytime. I have the perfect set up at home but unfortunately didn't research the hacking and it's nothing like as good as i'm used to but being able to pop out and not worry about bringing in on time and being in wrong rug for the weather, changing fields etc etc and looking out your bedroom window and seeing them is priceless.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
home if at all possible. i would have loved to not have to get in the car to go to the yard twice a day. how much nicer to give them their breakfast and then go in and have yours.... heaven

catembi

Visit site
Home! It is so nice being able to quickly pop out & do x, & then pop back in & carry on. No hanging around unproductively for hours at the yard in the cold waiting for vet, farrier etc. Can do rug changes if the weather turns. The downside is Cody peering in trying to guilt trip me into feeding him!

Jellymoon

Visit site
Home every time. I go out in my dressing gown and wellies to feed them and then go back inside for breakfast. Love it.
You do have to get freelancers or drop them off at a livery yard for holidays but I’ve never been stuck. At least you can pick and choose rather than leaving them with the same incompetent muppets every time.

Jellymoon

Visit site
Exactly this! :)

Although be warned - a weird thing happens when you own your own fields. Extra horses just seem to appear... You start with two, and then suddenly... :oops::oops:

OMG, yes! And usually they appear in the summer...and then usually there are a few conversations about downsizing in the winter...but it never happens!

Jellymoon

Visit site
Downsides are your nice clothes smelling of horses because you can’t walk past the stables without skipping out, giving extra hay, changing rugs. And being whinnered at the whole time by the fatties.

LKWilliams

Visit site
Having your horses at home is brilliant! I've got three of my own at home and a wonderful livery! He pays £20 a week for the stable, I feed hay/turnout his horse every morning and in return he rides my horses when I can't. If you don't have anyone to ride with it does get lonely but im sure youll be able to find a local hacking buddy.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
When we were farming I had my horses at home (22.5yrs). It was great, concrete yard, electricity, no proper stables but sheds I could use. Now I am still lucky as my sister and her husband own 23 acres and my animals, sheep now not horses, are there but it is 5.5 miles away, no concrete and no electricity. Lots of mud though:mad: Would love to be living on site again but not going to happen.

Do it, it is so worth it.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you are worried then you could leave it until spring? Winter is the most difficult time, and sometimes a yard is a more cheerful place.

Having said that, mine have been at home for the last 20 years, and I would not swap it for the world. If I need company and better facilities I have liveried for a few weeks to achieve a specific objective. Other than that we have a routine and it is not so difficult.

Tonto_

Visit site
My loan horse is kept at his owners home and I love it! No yard politics, I only have to deal with bringing in the horses I ride not others field companions etc, I work to a routine that suits me (and them) and I can keep it nice and tidy!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ours are at home and I wouldn't go back to livery, if they paid me!

We were only ever on 4 yards, one for 8 yrs, one for 6 weeks, then 10 yrs and at a friend's for 3 months just before we moved here. So it wasn't that we had particularly difficult YOs (bar 1) but there were other liveries and their horses and YO's rules/ideas about management.

At home we do exactly what we want, when we want and make all our own decisions - what's not to like?

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
It's my dream to keep my at home & see them for my bedroom window. I would insist that there would be no way they can see me ground level though in the house so that I'm not stared at & guilted into feeding them lol!