Homemade Tricklefeed nets...

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
I was asked how I got on with making my own... well the netting finally came this week, it measured 4m x 2m, but you can get different sizes, the edges were wrapped and strong, so I used this part for the top, I made the nets approx 1..2m x 1m (so I have a bit spare to repair any holes)

A tip I was given was to thread a hose pipe along the top, and it makes it easier to hold them open to fill, Ive put 2 clips on to clip them closed, and hung them from the trees, as my 3 horses live out all the time...

the holes are 25mm, and its made from 2.3mm green knotless polypropylene .. though it is softer than I thought, but seems strong, (its heavy duty golf netting)

Im actually getting up to find a bit still in the bottom of them, and as I feed straw here over night, its good they now eat it slower..

cost me £24 = P+P (which for here in Spain was £18, but only £7 in the UK)

heres a photo of Ticky having lunch....

trickle.jpg

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'm impressed! May I ask where you bought the netting from?

To make the vertical edges, did you simply cut through the netting and then bind the edges (that's what it looks like)?

Lastly, I can see why your username is freckles, lol!

Angelbones

Visit site
Wow, I'm impressed! That is exactly what I need, but with a drawstring at the top. Where did you get the netting from? What did you bind the edges with? I have a tricklenet and I HATE it! The idea is grand but my pony can eat 10lb of soaked from it in under 1.5hrs, and I HATE the feel of it, just too 'wodgey' in my hands. I'm up for having at go like you. Well done :)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Brilliant. Thanks for the photo's.
Here's a link for golf netting 25mm, but you'd have to shop around for prices etc,http://www.coastalnets.co.uk/golf_nets.htm

For stable use, would it be possible to put the hose 1/4 the way down for easy filling and then thread cord through the top to hold it together in a stable ?

Love the idea of hanging it between two trees for out side though.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Hi,

thanks for adding the link Horserider :D they are also on ebay.. and I think you could have the top opening any way you like, a case of trying out what works for you... though if its stretched like mine its best to have the 'back' edge fastened a bit shorter in length than the front, so you have a better opening.. a friend has them in her stables and has attached them to the wall ..... I just go round with the barrow and fill, so need to even take them down

the edges.... the complete piece was binded at the edges, but as I had to cut it, I used those bits at the top, (and the side on a couple of them) then on the others edges used a similar type of cord to 'stitch' it together, weaving through the holes, (the second one in to give extra strength)