Honest opinions on what i did

cobmum

Visit site
Ok so many years ago i bought my first horse. I had lessons for years and loaned previously but never had a horse that was completely my responisbility.

I had saved up for over 20 years to get this horse and it was like a dream come true. I tried horse a few times and he went well also watched him ridden etc.

His owner had used food (contstant tip bits) as a way of getting him to do things - he was VERY strong to lead and difficult with shoeing also wouldnt tie up without be fed handfulls of treats.

I taught him to lead and not drag me around, i NEVER used food just clear body language, long line and rope halter. I got him to tie up no problems and got him much much better with the farrier although he still needed a haynet for distraction.

I didnt have a saddle when i bought him so spent 6 weeks while his saddle was made to order getting to know him and lunging. Using the help of an experienced instructor with the lunging as he had previously been lunged on one rein and i wasnt 100% confident in what i was doing.

In this time i also had he teeth checked by Ivan Stockdale and wolf teeth removed.

After the saddle was fitted and his mouth was recovered we potted about on shot hacks and did some schooling.

One day i gave him a short lunge session on both reins and my mum decided to have a little ride. As she carefully mounted my horse bronc'd massively and threw her against a fence. There was no reason for this. My mum did not jab him in the sides or mouth and was very gentle. He did not appear to be frightened my anything and it just appears he wanted her 'off'.

I had his back checked and nothing was found, saddler rechecked and again nothing was found.

I became scared to mount him in the arena as my mum had done so mounted from an alternative mountain block used before hacking.

With the aid of an instructor i would mount go for a short hack up the road and return into the arena. At this point i didnt have the confidence to canter at all and finally realised i had become scared of him.

My instructor decided to try him out as she was interested in buying him as she felt he had prospects and would go far in the right hands.

Upon trying him she urged him into canter and once, twice and three times he bronc'd big time. She managed to stay on but said to me that it was clear he wanted her off. She was a brilliant rider and i have no idea how she stayed on.

She did buy him and said she would possibly re-back and work him in canter up hill so he wouldnt be able to buck/bronc as easily.

Did i do the right thing in selling him?:confused:

What else could have done?:confused::confused:

Does it sound like behaviour or pain?:confused:

After re-backing him from scratch she reported he was going very well and took him to HOYS.:D

I just keep thinking if i did the right thing. Am i a total faliure and what is the right thing to do in this situation:confused:

Sorry for the long message but one day i want to own a horse again but maybe i shouldnt if i couldnt cope the first time around.

mightymammoth

Visit site
Hindsight is such a good thing, you did what you thought was best at the time and you can do no more then that. Please don't tear yourself apart over it now x

cobmum

Visit site
Hindsight is such a good thing, you did what you thought was best at the time and you can do no more then that. Please don't tear yourself apart over it now x

Thank you, i just want to learn from any mistakes that i made.

I did think one thing i could have done would have been to have him professionally reschooled but i didnt have the finances at the time.

Mike007

Visit site

I dont think you made any mistakes or did badly by this horse. I also think this horse quite liked you. I think he had unresolved issues with people in general but considered you to be an exception. You are the person he didnt hurt. It was probably all for the best to sell him to someone who could reschool him and help him though.

stephaniekate

Visit site
all you can do now is be thankfull that the horse is in a good home now...and move on, you cant think in the past....you are lucky your mum didnt get hurt!!think in possotive terms ....that horse wasnt for you if you were scared !!!...get yourself a nice quiet cob, get your confidence on it and then move on gradually...............stop worrying about wjether it was the right desicion...move on.
good luck

lovesFells

New User
Visit site
all you can do now is be thankfull that the horse is in a good home now...and move on, you cant think in the past....you are lucky your mum didnt get hurt!!think in possotive terms ....that horse wasnt for you if you were scared !!!...get yourself a nice quiet cob, get your confidence on it and then move on gradually...............stop worrying about wjether it was the right desicion...move on.
good luck

I agree that if you were scared, you had the wrong horse, therefore in my opinion selling him was the right thing to do for both you & the horse. Don't give up, I wish you luck in finding a horse much more suited to you in the future

cobmum

Visit site
Thank you, i just dont ever want to be somone who passes the buck (quite litrally in this case!)

If anyone thinks i missed anything then please say.

I would like to think that horse liked me, i think i was the first 'leader' he ever had but after i felt scared by him i knew i wasnt taking the leader role anymore.

I just wondered why he bucked when mounted, ive actually never heard this happen before so unsure if it is common?

mandwhy

Visit site
I think you did the right thing :) Sounds like he would be a bit much as anyone's first horse and I would be daunted by it! It's not like you sold him to a stranger, your instructor knew the issues and what she could do to improve them and sounds like she has done, I think that is the best outcome that could have come out of it really! Better than you or your mum getting injured and losing your confidence, or generally having an unhappy relationship with the horse.

You will find a nice calm horse, you did all the right things in my opinion but he just wasn't the right one for you :)

TigerTail

Visit site
You did the right thing selling him of you had lost your confidence in him. The only thing I would have done different is put him in a treeless saddle as I don't trust saddle fitters and seriously wonder about the saddle fit in this equation.

dilbert

Visit site
What an awful experience for you, I'm sure you did the right thing. Did you ride him / see him ridden before you bought him? I was wondering if he had ever been backed/ ridden prior to coming to you? ( sorry if I've missed that bit).

sleepykitten

Visit site
Thank you, i just dont ever want to be somone who passes the buck (quite litrally in this case!)

If anyone thinks i missed anything then please say.

I would like to think that horse liked me, i think i was the first 'leader' he ever had but after i felt scared by him i knew i wasnt taking the leader role anymore.

I just wondered why he bucked when mounted, ive actually never heard this happen before so unsure if it is common?

I think you did the right thing, you did what you could to help the horse as far as you could, when you sold him, he was better for having been with you. Whats' wrong with that? I'm selling one now as I have done what I can to improve him, the rest is beyond my ability.

Tilda

Visit site
As someone who persevered with a horse I was scared of for 2 years I agree you did absolutely the right thing. I ended up selling my horse for peanuts to a good friend as a project for her to bring on and sell because everytime I made the decision to sell her it seemed she would throw something else at me that would need working through before selling and my confidence went down a notch further.

I have now had my loan horse for 2 months and have already done half the things I wanted to do with my horse and missed out on. My confidence is still dodgy at times but in a more normal way if you get what I mean ie I feel nervous when we try something new but that's it.

So as someone else said go and find yourself a confidence giver, enjoy your hobby again and move on with the confidence that you did nothing wrong with your old boy and in fact probably got him into his ideal home x

McNally

Visit site
I absolutely think you did the very best by your horse so well done!
I have the wrong horse for me and have put up with him for 5 years, Its no fun and i dont enjoy it anymore. I did put him on loan twice but he's come back both times!
A horse i had for a few months threw me with meaning the 2 out of 3 times instantly as i got on- but he'd not been ridden in some time.
Once a horse has thrown me (as opposed to i fell off) thats it id loose conficence and never ride it again (a symptom of getting older i think) so im very impressed you had another try!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Some horses are just not suitable for novice owners and it sounds like he was one of them. I have seen it happen so often. You are not the only one. You did the right thing and sold him to someone who could realise his potential, and keep him challenged and interested in his work.

Marydoll

Visit site
The fact that you were scared to ride him tells me you did right by the horse, he has a good home with an experienced person, who has by the sound of it done a good job with him.
As said before hindsight is a great thing, if you knew then how good he was, he could've been sent off for schooling, but even then if he is a sharp horse might never have been suitable for you